PDA

View Full Version : Jerky, slice with the grain?

mcoupe
05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Hope everyones having a great weekend. I'm starting some jerky, and read some recipes that say to cut the round steak with the grain? Is this right? Also just curious as to temps and times. Did use the search and read up a bit. 220 seems about it, correct me if I'm wrong....

bluetang
05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
I go lower temp, but I also use a cure in my brine. 100* or so. I do cut with the grain, 1/4" thick slices.

mcoupe
05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks bluetang! I picked up 4 lbs 3/4 wagyu round steak and some hi mountain mandarin teriyaki jerky cure. Also grabbed a 4 lb regular cow bottom round, to see if the 30 bucks i spent on the wagyu is worth it. I'll try a lower temp as you suggest.

bluetang
05-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm sure others will chime in as well, that's just what I do. That hi mountain mandarin teriyaki jerky cure sounds farkin killer!

SmokinAussie
05-21-2011, 06:30 PM
^^^^^ What Bluey says. Cut with the grain, because after it is dried, you then slice across the grain to cut it into small pieces, making it more tender. I only smoke mine for a few hours at as low temperature I can, just to get a little smoke into it. Then after that it is air dried with a fan, which takes up to 90hours.

Cheers

Bill

trekmstr
05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
i have a dehydrator with a fan and a temp dial. the meat setting says 170 but I've never actually checked it. i also usually like a few hours at that setting then turn down so its dehydrating and not cooking. i have done some in oven at 170. thats as low as my oven can be set, and it come out great.