PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration needed-what a good idea

jdub
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I just watched an old episode of Julia Child/Jaques Pepin. He did a turkey dinner. He took the leg quarters off the turkey, boned the thigh side and stuffed it with a traditional sausage and cornbread stuffing-the breast "sat" on another pile of stuffing. Very nice. What pops into your head?---Big Green Egg. AND my butcher always has turkey leg quarters.

Brine them and bone the thigh. Stuff it and sew it shut (he just folded it over).

Now-summer is coming (for you southern brethren it is 48 degrees with a clammy onshore breeze tonight in Rye New Hampshire), so who really wants a heavy gloppy stuffing till fall? Gimmee an idea for a lighter stuffing that will complement the smoke. Man that turkey was beautiful.
Whaddya got?

Skidder
05-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I ain't from the south but how about a cornbread stuffing? Or how about stuffing with a traditional stuffing dry not wet?

jdub
05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I ain't from the south but how about a cornbread stuffing? Or how about stuffing with a traditional stuffing dry not wet?
Yep, I will save that for fall, but how about right now? A spring, lighter fresher, you know, bla bla? Cranberries will wreck the meat I think.
Jerk? too strong. Some lighter citrus chutney something or other, or something really herby? See what I'm trying to think?

LMAJ
05-19-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm still thinking there needs to be a bread component with LOTS of fresh herbs.
I am concerned if you just want to go with a churney of some sort it will get too mushy by the time the turkey is done.

Skidder
05-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Ok how about mix some hollandaise with some dry unflavored croutons stuff the thighs then make a citrus bbq sauce. Just throwing stuff out there.

Bullfeathers
05-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Lots of bread with fresh herbs... hmm.. maybe this?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/panzanella-salad/Detail.aspx

may not work with how you are doing the turkey-- rub wise.. just figured I'd throw it out there.

bigabyte
05-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Why not some assorted veggies and herbs? Just tossing that out there.