PDA

View Full Version : DigiQ DX2 First Running Notes

JMSetzler
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
First of all, I must say that I was very impressed with the BBQ Guru's DigiQ DX's capabilities of keeping the pit temperature where I wanted it to be. During the course of my test today I started it out at 225, then ramped it up to 300, then back down to 275 and then back down to 250 and it stayed where I put it each time.

I tossed a bare naked turkey breast on the smoker just to have some meat cooking... only based it with a little olive oil throughout the smoking process. The glitch I encountered during my test today was with the meat probe. I apparently did not have it plugged into the DX securely and my temp reading was 64 degrees for the entire cook until I figured this problem out. Four hours into the cook I decided to put a different meat probe in and it read 173 so I pulled the turkey off immediately. I checked my connection on the DigiQ probe and it was indeed not pushed in all the way. When I got the connection right, the probe started reading correctly instantly.

The next bit of information I learned today is that on the WSM 18.5 with a full water pan, the DigiQ could not push the pit temp up above 300 degrees or so for obvious reasons. After I pulled the turkey, I ramped up the pit temp to 350 and it simply would not go above 300. If I had a larger load of charcoal, it might have happened, but in reality I was fighting a rather large heat sync that was parked in the 200-210 degree range.

The other point of interest I collected today was that the pit probe clipped underneath the top rack of my smoker read within about 10 degrees of the WSM's onboard thermometer, which is good to know. I have seen and read about these onboard thermometers being way off, but this one is relatively accurate. It's close enough to actually use it as a cooking temp monitor if needed. I'm sure all of them aren't that way, but I was happy to determine that mine is close enough for rock and roll :)

I was making a video demo of the DigiQ on the WSM today to put up on YouTube but I'm going to ditch the video collected today and do it again when I have the meat probe fully functional in the cooking process :)

BBQ PD
05-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Sounds like all-in-all a very successful run. I have an old Guru Competitor and recently upgraded to the DigiQ DX2 also, and I am very impressed with it. Looking forward to your YouTube video.

JMSetzler
05-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Gonna try the video process again later this week. I think I'm gonna smoke a couple butts overnight thursday starting aroudn 10pm or so for a Friday pulled pork sammich dinner :)

Bogs
11-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking about getting the BBQ Guru's DigiQ DX for use on a 22.5 WSM, were you able to get the WSM above 300 degrees?

NorthwestBBQ
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
https://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pXF0R1o498ffRfMW40bEVoWqDBGJGmjlz10jClryL_aPLrsM uWtP0FIMzCV8WuTDWLHmPEO8htvI/bbq%20brethren%2014.jpg?psid=1