PDA

View Full Version : The Rub Co. (pron) steak & blue marlin

otterpop
05-16-2011, 07:47 PM
A big MAHALO to Ryan from The Rub Co. for sending a sample of his original rub with a savory onion and garlic base and no sugar to try out. :thumb:

Rubbed the steaks 3 hours before grilling, and just sprinkled some on the blue marlin from the Hawaiian fishery as an experiment.

As I was getting ready to flip the steaks, a feral chicken flew up to roost in the brush next door - can you see her in the pic?

Added the fish to the grill after the steaks were done on one side.
The flavor was great on both the beef and the fish; savory, not sweet or spicy, but just simply delicious.

Thanks again Ryan!

gtr
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Looks great! Yup - I see the chicken. I should be doing my Rub Co. pron by next weekend. That fish is really catching my eye. :thumb:

Smoothsmoke
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Great pr0n, wish I had some marlin right about now. :thumb:

Johnny_Crunch
05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Looks awesome! :thumb:

bigabyte
05-16-2011, 11:06 PM
That's so good it almost borders on cruel teasing us with it like that!:cool:

Ryan Chester
05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Blue Marlin??? Thats awesome. You are definitely the first person to post pron using our rub on Marlin. I think that chicken was eyeballing your grub! Food looks great and im glad you enjoyed our rub!

Phubar
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Great eats right there!
Just did some Googling and I can get marlin on this side of The Big Pond.

Crash
05-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Rubbed the steaks 3 hours before grilling, and just sprinkled some on the blue marlin from the Hawaiian fishery as an experiment.

Wow, that's some great looking grinds. I respect that CYA statement above....:clap2::-D. You never know when somene's going to call you an oceanic terrorist.

In all seriousness, I've never tried Ryan's rubs. How did they compare to the other rubs you have used?

jacob
05-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I never eaten Blue Marlin, I would like to hear more about the taste and texture etc. . Looks good from here though.

otterpop
05-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Crash -
Ryan's Rub Co. original is good, not salty, not sweet. My preference is on the hot & spicy side, so usually I make my own rubs, and actually, this is the first time I've used someone else's, so it was a treat to taste the difference.

jacob -
Taste's just like chicken :wink:
No really, it's a lot like other billfish, with a firm, steak-like, but very tender bite and rich, delicate flavor.
Yum