PDA

View Full Version : Another TK Temperature Blunder

tommykendall
02-08-2005, 10:47 PM
OK - did the bowl brisket on the WSM Saturday. Beautiful 9 hour burn (during which I made it to my watering hole) then finished it in the oven. Sunday I did 3 dozen turds and TX hot links also on the WSM. Temp was holding great at 240 according to the probe (not a nu-temp). One guest arrives, I show him the cookers, then the turds by lifting off the lid of the WSM. He loved it - said he could smell it up the street where he parked.

45 minutes and a couple or so beers later I say "Hey Dave - can you the what the temperature is on the digital display from where you're standing?" He replies "Yes - 68 degrees". WTF? - how can that be? I dash to the WSM, open the access. Sort of looked like the fire went out - wood splits had barely ignited. WTF? Grabbed my poker stirred **** around. Coals showed signs of red. HUH? - this cannot be - why 68? I then pull a Colt maneuver and tossed on a ton of chunks to get a spark. BAD move - nothing but bad smoke. So I spend awhile longer fire fixing. OK - back in the house.

15 minutes later - "Hey Dave - what's it say now". Reply - 71 degrees. FARK ME! Run outside, grab the digital unit and find the farking probe dangling in the bushes!! :oops: I had pulled it out when I showed the guest the turds. He laughed his ass off.

And just so I beat one of you farkers to it -

TK dangles his probe in the bushes - pass it on

Neil
02-08-2005, 11:09 PM
LOL

TK lost his probe in the bushes-pass it on

jt
02-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Bet Brian would like to have his probe in a bush

BigBelly
02-09-2005, 09:03 AM
LOL - Spicoli Ridgemount High Mod!

spicewine
02-09-2005, 09:25 AM
A probe in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Jeff_in_KC
02-09-2005, 09:59 AM
LMFAO!!! Nice goin', TK! That's some funny sh#t!

Oh well, look on the bright side... at least your outside temp is 71 degrees. I'm sitting here looking out over snow and 10 farkin' degrees this morning!

BBQchef33
02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
So, TK.. How did the bushes turn out?

Did the leaves just fall off the stems? Did you use one of those new Ortho rubs with high Nitrogen Content? :)

brdbbq
02-09-2005, 01:05 PM
So, TK.. How did the bushes turn out?

Did the leaves just fall off the stems? Did you use one of those new Ortho rubs with high Nitrogen Content? :)

Mary,

Look at your Neighbor's bush you will get a quicker answer.

Solidkick
02-09-2005, 05:35 PM

Nice one!

jeffsasmokin
02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Brain-fart Mod, TK! I'll have to share that one with the OL! It'll take a little heat off me knocking my Burn Barrel over at 1 am, drunk and on an all-night cook! :oops: At least the grass has grown back now! :D

cabo
02-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Ok Guys, :lol:
Give TK a break at least hes giving us stuff to look out for, :lol: like foiled holes (or is that holed foils) and now we have probes in the bushes (or is that bushed probes). :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cabo

tommykendall
02-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Give TK a break at least hes giving us stuff to look out for

That's right. I don't post this stuff for your entertainment - it's education man. 8)

kcquer
02-09-2005, 09:13 PM

Then you ain't been stickin' your probe in the right bushes lately :twisted: :mrgreen:

cabo
02-09-2005, 09:48 PM

That's right. I don't post this stuff for your entertainment - it's education man. 8)

And :lol: ........We :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: have....................learned :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .................................................. A :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .................................................. .................................Lot.

And we appreciate all... sniff... your....sniff... efforts Tommy!!!! Keep up the good work! AAAAahhhhh

Cabo

tommykendall
02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Wait till I repost the story of my Backdraft episode in MD. It was a classic on the Old Bandera Yahoo groups page.

Neil
02-10-2005, 04:25 AM

A good teacher knows how to make learning fun.

jeffsasmokin
02-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Wait till I repost the story of my Backdraft episode in MD. It was a classic on the Old Bandera Yahoo groups page.Let's hear it, Tommy! I bet we could make an entire thread of Backyard Blunders!

kcquer
02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
tk is our smoky version of Julia Child :lol:

Solidkick
02-10-2005, 06:59 PM
tk is our smoky version of Julia Child :lol:

Nope.........he only has a double chin........Julia had multiples..........

Bigmofo300lbs
02-10-2005, 07:17 PM
This is great stuff. An experienced Q'er can laugh at his blunders!

BBQchef33
02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Think we have a blunder thread in the archives.. had a whole bunch of screwups in there. ... like the time i ignited all the dry leaves in the pit, engulfing 3 smokers and a propane tank, and tried to put the fire out with a bucket and a frozen swimming pool. :oops: Gotta dig up that thread.

jeffsasmokin
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Think we have a blunder thread in the archives.. had a whole bunch of screwups in there. ... like the time i ignited all the dry leaves in the pit, engulfing 3 smokers and a propane tank, and tried to put the fire out with a bucket and a frozen swimming pool. :oops: Gotta dig up that thread.C'mon, let's do it Phil! Bet we could rack a hundred or so on that thread.............if we're all honest............ :oops:

Makes one think, doesn't it? :mrgreen:

racer_81
02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
i, uh, had the big grease fire from the 12 butts in the smoke chamber. looked like mt st helens coming out of the chimney. temp probe said "hhh".

i, uh, also forgot to leak test the hose/tank connection and burnt up a propane hose....next to the house......

:mrgreen:

jeffsasmokin
02-11-2005, 05:10 AM
i, uh, had the big grease fire from the 12 butts in the smoke chamber. looked like mt st helens coming out of the chimney. temp probe said "hhh".
:mrgreen:Racer, how did the renderings ignite in the first place? Just curious?

racer_81
02-11-2005, 01:10 PM

Well, the 12 butts weighed about 100lbs so we needed a lot of heat from the firebox, hence it had a lot of fuel in it. We were moving along okay until the yard boys showed up. They're noisy, so we threw on a couple more logs and went inside - forgetting our remote temp sensors.

Flames and/or overheating from the firebox ignited the fat at the bottom of the smoke chamber.

No - I have no drain mod.

:-)

Jorge
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM

Well, the 12 butts weighed about 100lbs so we needed a lot of heat from the firebox, hence it had a lot of fuel in it. We were moving along okay until the yard boys showed up. They're noisy, so we threw on a couple more logs and went inside - forgetting our remote temp sensors.

Flames and/or overheating from the firebox ignited the fat at the bottom of the smoke chamber.

Next time I'm helping a friend burn a 20 ft. high pile of cedar you need to come up to help out with the ignition It was an official party last time, fire dept., DPS, sherriff all came out. We never thought about using pork fat as a booster.....

racer_81
02-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Next time I'm helping a friend burn a 20 ft. high pile of cedar you need to come up to help out with the ignition It was an official party last time, fire dept., DPS, sherriff all came out. We never thought about using pork fat as a booster.....

No problem.

I'll bring my stash of dryer-lint-infused paraffin cubes.

brdbbq
02-11-2005, 02:07 PM

No problem.

Are they Fresh ?

racer_81
02-11-2005, 02:48 PM

No problem.

Are they Fresh ?

Spring Fresh.