PDA

View Full Version : Brining a Ham.. Any suggestions?

SmokinAussie
05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
G'Day Bruces' :becky:

I've got this massive leg of pork in the fridge... about 14lb I think.

I want to make my own ham with it. I've got a recipe for American Glazed Honey Ham from Michael Ruhlmans "Charcuterie" Book.

Just want to know if theres any tips and tricks, or traps for young players you guys can advise me on.

Cheers!

Bill

cowgirl
05-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Inject your cure along the bone too for even curing. (you probably already knew that :-D)
Are you going to age the ham? Hot or cold smoke it after curing?

I know it's gonna be great Bill.. you've got mad skillz. :thumb:

SmokinAussie
05-12-2011, 01:32 AM
HI Jeanie,

Yes, I knew that, but it is good to have it affirmed. I'm going to hot smoke it, as I do not have a reliable cold smoking method set up here. I would like to try dry aging at a different time, but I think I need some more study on it to make sure I get it right.

Thanks!

Bill

Phubar
05-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Tips and Tricks!?
Just listen to Cowgirl!:cool:

deguerre
05-12-2011, 07:18 AM
No advice here but I KNOW your results will be good Bill. I got your back.:thumb::thumb:

jestridge
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
gogle salt cure ham

SmokinAussie
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Started the brine yesterday, as per Cdharcuterie Recipe. Used Hi Mountain #2.

Only thing I added was a handful of fresh thyme. Injected it really heavily along the bone. Now gotta wait 7 days!

I'll do a new thread after I smoke it on the offset. SHould be interesting....

Cheers!

Bill

Phrasty
05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Hey Bill, I did a lot of hams last year for Christmas...This is kinda what I did:

Here's the thread I made for it:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97531

Oh I did another as well! Home made hams are awesome BTW!:thumb::thumb:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96273

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/phrasty/screen-capture-693.jpg

It's a great base to start from.

For a 12-15lb ham use:
1 Gallon Water
1.5 cup Kosher Salt
2 cup Brown Sugar
8 tsp Cure #1 (Pink salt)

In addition to this you add whatever spices & herbs you want. Add any un-cruched spices you'd care to (eg cloves, cinnamon, allspice) & bring to a boil, stir to dissolve. Let steep & cool to room temp and brine for about 2 lbs a day (12lb ham = 5-6 days) Then you remove from the brine, wash it off, dry it & smoke + glaze. There you go.

Looking forward to how yours comes out! :thumb:

Cheers

SmokinAussie
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
SH!T Phrasty!

I missed that massive thread because I was on holidays on the Murray River at that time. What a MASSIVE effort! WOW.

Well. your recipe and mine are Identical... except you are using Cure #1 and I'm using Cure #2. ( and of course your added spices)

My understanding was that Cure #1 was more for air dried meats that don't get smoked up to a higher finishing temp, and that Cure #2 was mainly for brining, then hot smoking?

Am I right, or does it not really matter that much?

Anyway, I'm only doing one lousy ham... My COS would fit about 2 or 3 max... Now I got an excuse to get a really big smoker!

Cheers!

Bill

Phrasty
05-12-2011, 11:40 PM
SH!T Phrasty!

I missed that massive thread because I was on holidays on the Murray River at that time. What a MASSIVE effort! WOW.

Well. your recipe and mine are Identical... except you are using Cure #1 and I'm using Cure #2. ( and of course your added spices)

My understanding was that Cure #1 was more for air dried meats that don't get smoked up to a higher finishing temp, and that Cure #2 was mainly for brining, then hot smoking?

Am I right, or does it not really matter that much?

Anyway, I'm only doing one lousy ham... My COS would fit about 2 or 3 max... Now I got an excuse to get a really big smoker!

Cheers!

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks! Yeah that was one hell of a ham cookup!

About the cures... I think you might have it backwards brother :doh: Cure #1 is for hams, bacons, fish and the sort while Cure #2 is for air-dried/hard sausages items like salami, proscuitti, capicola and that sort.

Found the links for them on the site I usually get my cures and sausage stuff from.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/11050instacureand153no18oz.aspx

"Insta Cure™ No. 1, a basic cure used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning. This includes poultry, fish, ham, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates and other products too numerous to mention. Formerly Prague Powder #1. Insta Cure™ #1 contains salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%)."

http://www.sausagemaker.com/11250instacureand153no28oz.aspx

A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2 contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%)

I'm not sure how it will effect your ham. One way to find out... :shocked::heh: On a serious note tho, you might to hit up google and do a search to look into using Cure#2 on a "short time cure" because if I'm not mistaken it's not to be eaten right out the cure rather it's meant for consumption after a longer drying time so that the nitrAtes can break down into nitrItes. Just looking out for my Aussie Bredrin! :icon_blush::thumb::thumb::becky:

Cheers

NorthwestBBQ
05-12-2011, 11:46 PM
G'Day Bruce!

SmokinAussie
05-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Hey Bill, thanks! Yeah that was one hell of a ham cookup!

About the cures... I think you might have it backwards brother :doh: Cure #1 is for hams, bacons, fish and the sort while Cure #2 is for air-dried/hard sausages items like salami, proscuitti, capicola and that sort.

Found the links for them on the site I usually get my cures and sausage stuff from.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/11050instacureand153no18oz.aspx

"Insta Cure™ No. 1, a basic cure used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning. This includes poultry, fish, ham, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates and other products too numerous to mention. Formerly Prague Powder #1. Insta Cure™ #1 contains salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%)."

http://www.sausagemaker.com/11250instacureand153no28oz.aspx

A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2 contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%)

I'm not sure how it will effect your ham. One way to find out... :shocked::heh: On a serious note tho, you might to hit up google and do a search to look into using Cure#2 on a "short time cure" because if I'm not mistaken it's not to be eaten right out the cure rather it's meant for consumption after a longer drying time so that the nitrAtes can break down into nitrItes. Just looking out for my Aussie Bredrin! :icon_blush::thumb::thumb::becky:

Cheers

Hey, I just checked.... I DID use cure #1.... Dunno why I thought it was Cure #2 today... must have had a senior moment...:doh:

Cheers!

Bill

Phrasty
05-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Hey, I just checked.... I DID use cure #1.... Dunno why I thought it was Cure #2 today... must have had a senior moment...:doh:

Cheers!

Bill

:heh: Ok good! :shocked::crazy::wink:

Cheers