PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Tenderloin

urville
05-08-2011, 01:35 AM
I once had amazing tenderloin at a local place, they crop up during frontier days. Decided to try it myself, little Hormel jobs in juice you can get at grocery stores.

Since drying out is an issue apparently with tenderloin, i was wondering if a modified 2-2-1 would work like I use for BBRibs. Perhaps 1-2-1 to keep the moistness?

What do you guys think?

BBQ Grail
05-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Smoke it to 135 degrees internal.
Sear on all sides on high, high heat
Loosely cover with foil and let rest for 20 minutes....

Perfect...

Mitch
05-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I recommend grilling. They are so small and so lean that it is not worth ruining by trying to smoke them IMHO

tjus77
05-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I sear mine first in a cast iron skillet, then deglaze the skillet with some white wine, sautee some onions and add some garlic, put the loins back in the skillet and into the smoker at about 300-350 till internal temp is 165 (add a little water or chicken stock if needed as it cooks).

Makes great gravy and nice and juicy meat with just enough smoke flavor. You DON'T want to cook this low and slow.

Cook
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Tenderloins are not dry and will not dry out...unless you cook them too long.

Cook till no more than 150 and above 140 for my taste. I don't care how you cook it...the internal temp will decide your moistness.

Ron_L
05-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Just to clarify, we're talking pork tenderloin, right? If so, then Larry and Cook have it right. I take mine to 145 internal and rest. I prefer them grilled since the are usually small and cook pretty fast, but a little while in the smoke wouldn't and then reverse sear as Larry suggested.

urville
05-08-2011, 01:06 PM
First of all, thanks for the responses on mothers day.

Indeed Sir, we are speaking of a pork tenderloin. little cylindrical pork tube from hormel in some plastic

The stuff I had was chopped and stuffed in a sandwich thats what I was going for. It wasnt incredibly moist but it was ridiculous good none the less.

I did smoke one once in the past but is was in a grill so it fluctuated and I probably smoked it all of 2-3 hours if even that, at I think, 325-350. It wasnt dry but it wasnt like my ribs flavor or moistness wise. So it stands to reason that I goofed up in the right direction it seems.

:pray::icon_blush::doh:
Please believe me, I love the brethern, you guys are awesome... no offense meant at all, I'm sure you know better than I, but I'm just clarifying, taking it at 140 and resting will let it cook itself to safety right?

Ah, so larrys/cooks got the right idea. OK! I'd just grill it but... She loves smoke flavor so if I dont bring something with that in, I may as well drop into town for a cot for the basement on this day of days.:-D

BBQ Grail
05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Please believe me, I love the brethern, you guys are awesome... no offense meant at all, I'm sure you know better than I, but I'm just clarifying, taking it at 140 and resting will let it cook itself to safety right?

That bogus 165 degree "safe" level was established when pork was much more fatty. You also did have a risk for parasites. However, today's is clean and much leaner.

You don't have to cook a pork loin to 165 degrees for it to be "safe." Start enjoying your pork loin instead of turning it into shoe leather.

Phubar
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Smoking tenderloin is just Phine....just pull it at the right internal temp.
I pull mine at 125F.

urville
05-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Understood!:cool:

Soybomb
05-08-2011, 01:37 PM
The others are right, trichinellosis cases are now under 10 a year in the US and most of them come from wild game or non-commercial pork. I don't worry about it. I usually pull tenderloins at 140, loin at 135 (larger cut, more carryover). A little pink inside is great.

edit: I also do it hot and fast on the kettle, about 350 or so, some smoke wood, indirect, then move over the coals for a sear at the end.
http://neverstopsmoking.com/images/tenderloin/4.jpg

El Ropo
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Yum! That plate looks great, and I agree with your temps. Every time I've tried to cook a loin or tenderloin past 140, they don't turn out as moist and tender. Do them right, and it can be a religious experience.

I think the best one I ever made got pulled at 138, then rested for an hour.

Phubar
05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Agree...it has to be a bit pink-ish on the inside.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h342/Phubar2/SmokeFest%2017-02-11/IMG_3360.jpg

urville
05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks guys... funny story she wouldnt let me make it like that... i didnt argue so, just grilled it lol. She said, "I cannot eat pink meat. I just cant." lol so... its her day but, i've got one in the electric anyway and taking it out early anyway so....

Phubar
05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Just don't dry it out!
I've had numeral of times that I over shot my target but it was still juicy....just less pink inside.