PDA

View Full Version : Freezing an injected Butt?

eggzlot
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
All -

I injected two butts last night; I thought I was going to be smoking both this weekends. Turns out, I need to smoke one this weekend, and another one NEXT weekend - doh!

Seems like Chemistry 101 which I failed, so I ask here:

Anything wrong with freezing one of the butts and using next week, and should I re-inject after thawing? Best way to freeze would just be wrap in some foil and put into a big zip loc freezer bag (which I have). Again, this is just to freeze for a week. I figure it is best to freeze the whole butt, instead of smoking both this weekend, then freezing one for next weekend, I think it would be better to thaw it out and smoke it fresh next weekend. I just wonder what will happen to the injection when I freeze the butt uncooked/smoked.

I am assuming I should not keep it refrigerated to next saturday, that would be too long, correct? Hence I am inquiring about freezing options.

Thanks in advance.

BBQ Grail
05-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd cook them both and freeze one after cooking.

No scientific reason, it's just what I'd do.

smokeyw
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree with Larry. I often buy meat on sale and freeze. However, if I buy butts on sale, I just smoke them and then vacuum seal them in quart size or so servings for later. When I get ready for some, I just take it out of the freezer and put the bag in boiling water for about 15 minutes. It is just as good as fresh. I don't sauce before freezing. I find that it tastes better with sauce added after reheating.

BBQ Grail
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree with Larry. I often buy meat on sale and freeze. However, if I buy butts on sale, I just smoke them and then vacuum seal them in quart size or so servings for later. When I get ready for some, I just take it out of the freezer and put the bag in boiling water for about 15 minutes. It is just as good as fresh. I don't sauce before freezing. I find that it tastes better with sauce added after reheating.

Yep! That's the way I roll...exactly!

And why crank the pit up twice and use twice as much fuel...

eggzlot
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
You got a good point about cooking twice and using up 2x as much fuel.

however, I do not have any fancy vacuum seal system for freezer storage. Could I look to buy one, sure, but I may not get to it tonight and I am smoking one of the butts for tomorrow.

If I smoked both tonight, is there a good way to freeze/reheat one of the butts for next weekend without a vacuum seal system? Anything I can do with HDAF, zip loc freezer bags, etc? I wouldnt even pull it, I could smoke it, wrap up the whole butt, freeze it, thaw it next week, warm it up on the smoker or oven then pull and serve?

smokeyw
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Just pull the meat, put it in ziploc freezer bag(s), freeze it, and then thaw and reheat next week. I would use gallon freezer bags. The vacuum sealed process just makes it last longer.

eggzlot
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
if i smoke, pull and freeze in zip loc bags, what is the best way to thaw it out, reheat and serve?

for future knowledge, just doing the zip loc freeze method gives you about how much time in the freezer compared to vaccum sealing the meat?

Thanks!

imaisufan
05-07-2011, 08:50 AM
For thawing:
I agree with Larry. When I get ready for some, I just take it out of the freezer and put the bag in boiling water for about 15 minutes. It is just as good as fresh.

I just use regular ZipLock freezer bags, and try to squeeze as much air out as possible. I've no issues with freezer burn up to a year.