PDA

View Full Version : Rib quality ?

jsperk
05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello,

I was curious of opinions on ribs. My local store sells spare ribs already trimmed down and packed in the saran wrap type wrapping. They are from a local butcher,who's meats are good. They are inexpensive .99 cents a pound. They just don't seem to cook as good as the ribs in cryopak. I just can't get as good of results if I don't cook cryopak ribs.

Thanks

Cook
05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Are these ribs big? Do they have larger than normal bones?

smokeyw
05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
My favorite pork supplier does not have the best ribs to me. I think he kills hogs relatively young and I just don't find his ribs to be as meaty as I like them. His whole hogs are the best I know of anywhere around.

jsperk
05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Are these ribs big? Do they have larger than normal bones?

No, not any bigger. I'm going to buy another pack today and try out this weekend. I'll post some pics of them and the cook.

Thanks

jemezspring
05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I've got a place near me that sells those 'big ribs' for .99/lb. They are very lean w/almost no marbling. Lots of meat between the bones but next to none on the top, in fact most of the time you can see the bones on top. They never come out good. Lets see some pics of yours when you are ready to cook.

QansasjayhawQ
05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Keep in mind that most of the ribs I've seen in cryopack have 'an injections of blah blah blah with up to 10% sodium . . . etc. etc.'

That injection increases the sale weight (which means those $2 / pound cryopack ribs are selling you salt water for $2 a pound) but it also 'tenderizes' the meat to some extent.

JS-TX
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
The first time I cooked spares from my local meat market, they came out fantastic, the 2nd time I got some from Costco which were in cryovac. These came out sub-par. That's when I learned that all cuts of meat cook a little different and need more time than others. Use the butta test with a toothpick to know when they are done. It works for me now.

Cook
05-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I've got a place near me that sells those 'big ribs'

Yep, those are the ones I was asking about. Those come from sows who have outlived their baby piggie bearing years and sent to slaughter.

jsperk
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting baby backs today sonce they were on sell. Next time I get them I will post pics.

chobint
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
They might be better suited for braising. You can't even get pot roasting meat for 99c a lbs around here. Granted the bones reduce the yield, but still... could make a killer pot roast :D