PDA

View Full Version : FEC-100 Pros and cons I want one, or?

Rubmybutt
05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope I don't step on anybodys toes here but I went to search and I haven't been a member long enough to check if someone did a post on this subject before so please hear me out.

BBQ is fairly new to me and last summer I aquired a used Cookshack SM-160 electric smoker. For being 10 years old (not me the smoker) I have been most pleased with what comes out of it especially from what I had used in the past but I have a real hankering for a Fast Eddy-100.

So here's my question if you own one is it just what you wanted? I just cook for my family and friends. Is there something else that has hearts all aflutter? Who has the best price? Are they reliable and most important, are they a chick magnet?:becky:

I'm all ears on this one because I don't think my current chick will let me buy another one soon so this must be a solid purchase.

I now open the floor for discussion to you and thank you in advance!:thumb:

Ron_L
05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
I've had mine for four years and love it. It is built like a tank and puts out some great food. I use mine mostly for competitions, so I have to cook in all kinds of weather, and the insulation on the FEC gives me a very consistent product regardless of what it is doing outside of the cooker. It is also very economical to run. i can cook a full competition, which means that the FEC is running for 16 - 17 hours on about 8 lbs of BBQer's Delight pellets. I bought in bulk last year with some other local pelletheads so 8 lbs of pellets cost me about $4.

Now... you mentioned that you are cooking for family and friends. How much do you cook at a time? An FEC can easily hold 12 - 16 butts or 8 packer briskets, or 16 racks of ribs without the optional rib racks. Do you need something that big?

And, before the pellet haters chime in :), the smoke flavor from a pellet smoker is not as strong as a stick burner or charcoal burner, so keep that in mind. Personally I don't miss it and I have never had anyone comment on a lack of smoke flavor in my food, either in competition or when cooking for family and friends, but YMMV.

You may also want to look at some of the various pellet grills/smokers out there like the Memphis line from Hearthland products, the MAK grills, Country Smoker, Green Mountain Grills and others. They are grills that can also smoke and are typically smaller and may be a good fit.

NorthwestBBQ
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Great post, Ron. :thumb:

ThomEmery
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I have two of em
Nice smokers

kyle corn
05-05-2011, 11:23 PM
The FEC 100 is a great cooker. Like Ron said, you can cook a lot on it, but it is very efficient so you won't feel bad when you throw on just a rack of ribs or a butt. Ron is right, the smoke flavor compared to a stick burner is much more subtle, and the smoke ring isn't as pronounced, but it cooks beautifully. My dad and I used ours nearly every weekend for four years straight and it's never given us any issues. It still gets a lot of use, but I've been playing around with building my own stickburners so I'm using that lately.

Really though, it's great because some times you just want to go to sleep or get drunk with your friends during the game rather than tending a fire. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

Muzzlebrake
05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
only buy and FEC 100 if you don't like having to constantly tend your pit, like sleeping soundly during long cooks and don't mind having an easy time cleaning up
:becky:

WannaBeBBQueen
05-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I would never give up my FEC!! It was love at first sight and the food that I get out of it...oh my!! and I get to sleep ALL night!! now what's better than that!!

Logjammin
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
We just upgraded from a CS-680 (http://www.countrysmokers.com/cs-680.htm) to an FEC-100 a few weeks ago. IMO, if you're just looking to do the occasional rack of ribs, brisket, or shoulder, I would go with the CS-680. Although not insulated, it produces very good BBQ. You do go through quite a bit more pellets due to the lack of insulation so that is an important facet to keep in mind.

If you are, even in the slightest, toying with the idea of competing then it makes your decision a little more difficult. We went through our first 3 seasons with the Country Smoker and we were very pleased but I think hindsight being what it is we probably should have started with the FEC. But hindsight is always 20/20. :)

But again, if you're just doing BBQ for family and friends, I would recommend the Country Smoker or any of the others Capt. Ron mentioned.

QDoc
05-06-2011, 10:10 AM
efficient, economical, easy to use, little maintenence, will cook all you need for your purpose. Smoke can be enhanced by starting on the lowest setting for an hour or so. some have placed wood chips/chunks on the fire pot edge. I've used a small stainless bowl with a half chimney of charcoal and a wood chunk as a starter in the bottom for an hour or so before turning on the machine.
downside- cost, not easy to move around unless you change the casters, top heavy, five inch exhaust is hard to find pipe extension if you wish to do so.

Ron_L
05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
We just upgraded from a CS-680 (http://www.countrysmokers.com/cs-680.htm) to an FEC-100 a few weeks ago.

It's about time! :becky:

Congrats! Will we see you guys at Westmont?

Big Ace
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I've been thinking about getting one too.
How easy is the FEC-100 to move and load and unload from a trailer? Does that require 2 people?
Can it be run by a 1600 Watt generator?
Can it cook hot and fast, say 325-350?

Chris

MilitantSquatter
05-06-2011, 10:51 PM
only buy and FEC 100 if you don't like having to constantly tend your pit, like sleeping soundly during long cooks and don't mind having an easy time cleaning up
:becky:

might as well go to a local BBQ joint:boxing:

YouTube - Buggles - Video killed the radio star 1979 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ)

Ron_L
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
See inline...

I've been thinking about getting one too.

How easy is the FEC-100 to move and load and unload from a trailer?
If you have a ramp it is easy. If you want to replace the stock hard wheels with pneumatic tires, even easier.

Does that require 2 people?
Only if you have to go across soft ground. I rolled mine up and down our cargo trailer ramp by myself all of the time. on soft ground I would use a tie down strap and put it through the front legs and pull with that while my wife stabilized it.

Can it be run by a 1600 Watt generator?
Easily. When the ignitor is on it draws 400W. that's for the first few minutes. After the ignitor shuts off it draws around 50W (I think Eddie told me that is is actually 40, but I used 50 for my battery calculations).

A lot of us run ours on a marine battery and an inverter. I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter/charger that has an automatic transfer switch. The inverter is connected to the battery and the comp power, and the FEC is connected to the battery. The charger keeps the battery topped off and the transfer switch psses comp power to the FEC unless the comp power fails. then it automatically switches to the inverter.

Can it cook hot and fast, say 325-350?
Yep. It will go up to 400, I think. I haven't had mine up above 375 for some chickens.

Ron_L
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
might as well go to a local BBQ joint:boxing:

Hater...

:boxing:

Logjammin
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
It's about time!

Congrats! Will we see you guys at Westmont?

Thanks! And yes, we'll see you at Westmont. Wouldn't be Memorial Day weekend without a comp in Westmont.

"A lot of us run ours on a marine battery and an inverter. I have a Xantrex 1000W inverter/charger that has an automatic transfer switch. The inverter is connected to the battery and the comp power, and the FEC is connected to the battery. The charger keeps the battery topped off and the transfer switch psses comp power to the FEC unless the comp power fails. then it automatically switches to the inverter."

How long do you think your marine battery would last in a worst-case scenario?

Rubmybutt
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks everybody,

Except for Vinny:boxing: I think you've made up my mind for me. I think this may be the smoker I retire with. Now the time to start lookin.