PDA

View Full Version : Sugar-free Rub

Big Luvin
05-05-2011, 12:28 AM
I've got some health conscious people coming over for some spare ribs this weekend. Anyone of know of a tasty sugar-free rub?

Sorry if this has been answered before. Working off my iPhone and I'm not sure how to work this app.

kevine
05-05-2011, 01:44 AM
I'd be interested too. I am pre-diabetic/diabetic and on meds. I've gone cold turkey on the white flour/sugar and started running again (co-pay for meds is $113). Thus, I'd love to hear any recipes for sugar free rub. I've been told that guava nectar can be used in place of molasses and it's lower on the glycemic index.

Any info on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hub
05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Here's some help -- I'm genetically disposed to diabetes but control my blood sugar with exercise and low-carbohydrate eating (maintain normal readings, thank God). This started as a friend's chicken rub recipe and I've played with it for months until I've got it working well for chicken and pork. It would probably work for fish, too, but I haven't tried it. For beef I don't like sweet so don't have a problem with most beef rubs.

NO-CARB RUB
(Adaptation of Art’s recipe)
For pork and chicken

Give this a try.

Yard Bird Rub

Amount Measure Ingredient
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup kosher salt
¼ cup Splenda
2 Tbl onion powder
2 Tbl Spanish paprika
2 Tbl Chili powder
1 Tbl celery salt
1 Tbl fresh-ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme

1. Mix together all ingredients. Break up any clumps. Store, covered.

cliffcarter
05-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Here's some help -- I'm genetically disposed to diabetes but control my blood sugar with exercise and low-carbohydrate eating (maintain normal readings, thank God). This started as a friend's chicken rub recipe and I've played with it for months until I've got it working well for chicken and pork. It would probably work for fish, too, but I haven't tried it. For beef I don't like sweet so don't have a problem with most beef rubs.

NO-CARB RUB
(Adaptation of Art’s recipe)
For pork and chicken

Give this a try.

Yard Bird Rub

Amount Measure Ingredient
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup kosher salt
¼ cup Splenda
2 Tbl onion powder
2 Tbl Spanish paprika
2 Tbl Chili powder
1 Tbl celery salt
1 Tbl fresh-ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme

1. Mix together all ingredients. Break up any clumps. Store, covered.

Good looking recipe. Many people who are diabetic or cook for diabetics use Splenda in place of sugar, there is also a brown sugar version of Splenda that you can use in rubs.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Try coarse black pepper and kosher salt. You can add in some cayanne and garlic powder if you like. This is the basic Texas Hill Country rub which is used for spare ribs too. It lets the smoke do the talking. I bet you will be surprised at the results.

Bassman
05-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds like it may be a keeper.

No Sugar Rub

3/4c. kosher salt
1c. granulated onion
1c. granulated garlic
1c. chili powder
1c. paprika
1/2c. smoked paprika
1/2c. cumin
1/2c. coarse black pepper
1/4c. grnd rosemary
1/4c. grnd oregano
1/4c. grnd celery seeds
1/4c. grnd thyme
_

Big slick
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
there is also a brown sugar version of Splenda that you can use in rubs.

I have used this before with baked sweet potatoes and it tastes the same as regular brown sugar. How it will hold up being in a smoker for 6-12 hrs i don't know, but taste wise its right on the money.

Ryan Chester
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't know that it would help you for this weekend but our Santa Maria Style Rub and Original Rub are both sugar free. You can check them out at www.therubco.com (http://www.therubco.com).

Big Luvin
05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't know that it would help you for this weekend but our Santa Maria Style Rub and Original Rub are both sugar free. You can check them out at www.therubco.com (http://www.therubco.com).

Thanks Ryan, I had not thought of using Santa Maria seasoning. I think that may be the test for the weekend.

Ryan Chester
05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks Ryan, I had not thought of using Santa Maria seasoning. I think that may be the test for the weekend.

I think your on to something! Santa Maria Style Seasoning is good on EVERYTHING!!!:becky:

Smoothsmoke
05-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I have used this before with baked sweet potatoes and it tastes the same as regular brown sugar. How it will hold up being in a smoker for 6-12 hrs i don't know, but taste wise its right on the money.

That's because it's real brown sugar mixed with splenda. Regular splenda is sugarless. Not sure how it burns though.

BBQ Bandit
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Rub from Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book
[note: no salt or sugar in recipe]

1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
2 Tbl chili powder
2 tea ground black pepper
1 tea white pepper
1 tea dry mustard
1 tea ground thyme
1 tea garlic powder
1 tea onion powder
1/2 tea sage

[a bangin' flavor that kicks!]

Big Luvin
05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Rub from Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book
[note: no salt or sugar in recipe]

1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
2 Tbl chili powder
2 tea ground black pepper
1 tea white pepper
1 tea dry mustard
1 tea ground thyme
1 tea garlic powder
1 tea onion powder
1/2 tea sage

[a bangin' flavor that kicks!]

Wow, that certainly looks like it would have a kick.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll see if I can get som pics of the cook.

LM600
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I do not like sweet things and a lot of the commercial rubs - for my palette - were far too sweet so I came up with this simple rub and it is now my 'House Rub'

Onion Powder
Paprika
Mixed Dried Herbs
Celery Salt (I prefer celery powder, but celery salt is easier to get here)
Smoked Paprika 'Hot'
Smoked Paprika 'Sweet' (it's not sugary it's from bell peppers)
Garlic Powder
Fresh ground black Pepper

Big Luvin
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Sorry I couldn't get any pics, my camera is misplaced. I ended up going with the Weber Garlic and Herb seasoning. Turned out good, but I'll stick with a more classic BBQ rub for myself.