PDA

View Full Version : 1st smoke of the year

BIGBrandon2785
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Im planning my 1st smoke of the year for a little Memorial Day get together.My question is ............Im planning on trying to smoke a brisket for the 1st time ever.Ive done pork butts 5-10 times and ribs 50+ times.Should I risk it with trying a brisket??Is it hard to keep it for drying out??And whats the best wood to use??

Boshizzle
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm a hot & fast brisket guy, so i'd say cook at 275 to 290 until internal temp reaches 165 then foil until internal temp reaches 208. Remove from smoker and let it sit in a cooler for 2 hours.

As far as wood is concerned, I like a little hickory with lump or charcoal or oak if doing a cook with wood as opposed to lump or charcoal.

Rib it with salt, pepper, garlic and a little cumin. If you want to inject, use some low sodium beef broth, pepper and granulated garlic.

If using a vertical smoker like a uds or wsm cook it fat cap down. If using a vertical smoker cook it fat cap up.

BIGBrandon2785
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm a hot & fast brisket guy, so i'd say cook at 275 to 290 until internal temp reaches 165 then foil until internal temp reaches 208. Remove from smoker and let it sit in a cooler for 2 hours.

As far as wood is concerned, I like a little hickory with lump or charcoal or oak if doing a cook with wood as opposed to lump or charcoal.

Rib it with salt, pepper, garlic and a little cumin. If you want to inject, use some low sodium beef broth, pepper and granulated garlic.

If using a vertical smoker like a uds or wsm cook it fat cap down. If using a vertical smoker cook it fat cap up.
cool,thanks this helps a lot.how long "hot&fast" does it normally take so I know about what time to put it on??

Boshizzle
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
ABout 6 to 8 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Of course, that includes the 2 hour rest period.

BlueHowler
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
The last brisket I made was rubbed with:

3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons crushed black pepper
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoon granulated onion
1 ½ tablespoon crushed coriander
1 ½ tablespoon dill
1 ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ tablespoon crushed fennel seed
½ tablespoon thyme

Then I injected with a mix of low sodium beef broth, Negra Modelo Mexican beer, garlic powder, and a wee bit of Franks extra hot sauce.

I smoked it on my UDS at 225º with Kingsfords competition briquettes mixed 50/50 with Krogers lump charcoal and a few chunks of apple wood from a tree in my yard.

When the internal temp reached 190º I wrapped in foil and a large beach towel and placed in a cooler for two hours.

propsync
05-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Hey Big B. My .02 includes the thought of doing a brisket before that day. Personally, I'm glad I'm starting with my UDS now, because I'd be f'ing up some get-togethers if I went in blind. I guess a question to restart with would be what vessel are you planning on using. From there you may get better advice. I can do a 9 pound brisket on a 22.5 kettle no prob, but after my shoulder cook on Sunday, I realize the UDS is going to really challenge my stored knowledge.

To the other question, I suggest applewood for smoke. I think it lets the flavor of beef and wood to coexist. I actually think I'm going to go all applewood this year seeing I like it so much. I live in WI where apple smoked bacon from Cudahy flows like Miller Lite. Where I work, I can smell that GD bacon when the wind is off the lake. Those are the worst days to be at work.

BIGBrandon2785
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Big B. My .02 includes the thought of doing a brisket before that day. Personally, I'm glad I'm starting with my UDS now, because I'd be f'ing up some get-togethers if I went in blind. I guess a question to restart with would be what vessel are you planning on using. From there you may get better advice. I can do a 9 pound brisket on a 22.5 kettle no prob, but after my shoulder cook on Sunday, I realize the UDS is going to really challenge my stored knowledge.

To the other question, I suggest applewood for smoke. I think it lets the flavor of beef and wood to coexist. I actually think I'm going to go all applewood this year seeing I like it so much. I live in WI where apple smoked bacon from Cudahy flows like Miller Lite. Where I work, I can smell that GD bacon when the wind is off the lake. Those are the worst days to be at work.
I have just a cheap Brinkmann vertical smoker.How would I reheat the brisket if I do it a day or 2 before??I like the applewood idea too:becky:

propsync
05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I think you misread me. I wasn't suggesting doing the brisket ahead and reheating. I was just suggesting to cook a brisket sometime before that day to see how it would cook. That way, when the day comes, you won't be guessing on what to do. Plus, brisket is good, more is better!

BIGBrandon2785
05-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I think you misread me. I wasn't suggesting doing the brisket ahead and reheating. I was just suggesting to cook a brisket sometime before that day to see how it would cook. That way, when the day comes, you won't be guessing on what to do. Plus, brisket is good, more is better!
yeah I misread.Thats a good idea though,I might do one this weekend