PDA

View Full Version : Food Network "Best In Smoke" (??????)

Shiz-Nit
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
So what do you all think of it? I sure hope it is going to be good. I would love to see the ORIGINAL BBQ Pit Masters format come back to TV

This just in from the press release department: As you may have heard, the new Food Network series Best in Smoke on which Tim Love will be one of the judges, premieres Sunday, May 8th at 9 pm CST (it will air at 8:00 pm CST in subsequent weeks), and it features six of the best barbecue masters in the country. The contestants meet in New York to face off for a $50,000 grand prize and the right to claim the title of Best in Smoke. This competition tests the competitors’ endurance and skill as they take on multiple challenges in a day with limited resources and cook for vastly different audiences. From barbecue desserts to single bite hors d’oeuvres, no food is off limits. Contestants show off their personal style and quick wit throughout the competition, but a final mad dash to three separate venues around Manhattan and Brooklyn will determine which competitor will be awarded the coveted title of Best In Smoke.
The first episode is “Best Bite in BBQ” and the six teams are challenged to create their best “single bite” for the judges panel, which includes Tim Love. Once the clock starts, it’s an all-out scramble to the meat truck, and the competitor who cooks up the best “single bite” wins immunity from elimination and joins the judging panel for the next round. Then, the competitors devise the ideal BBQ hors d’oeuvre for an upscale art gallery opening. The fate of the finalists hangs on the opinions of the gallery guests who decide which competitor is safe from elimination.

cpw
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Sounds a lot like the second version of BBQ pitmasters.

El Ropo
05-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Sounds more like a reality BBQ show, than a bbq competition. Might be cringe worthy, or might be good, but the format stinks of the same antics that made pitmasters go away.

No offense to anyone who is on the show, but it does appear that way?

caseydog
05-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I didn't like BBQ Pitmasters, at all, for the same reasons that I don't like most reality TV (side)shows... they are all about personality clashes, fights, trash talking and related bullchit, with little or no real substance.

So, if the show is about food, I will probably like it. If it is about egos and temper tantrums, then I won't give it a second look.

I love a good "challenge" show, and I like seeing how good cooks deal with tough situations, but I have no interest in drama queens and egomaniacs who talk more than they cook.

CD

BBQchef33
05-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I like watching just to see our friends in front of the camera...Chris Hart from Ique is one of the pitmasters. Im watching just for that alone. :)

Boshizzle
05-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't care who is in it. I'm watching it. :-P

LT72884
05-03-2011, 01:20 AM
reminds me of iron chef america

Who is all competting? Is APL?

LT72884
05-03-2011, 01:22 AM
I didn't like BBQ Pitmasters, at all, for the same reasons that I don't like most reality TV (side)shows... they are all about personality clashes, fights, trash talking and related bullchit, with little or no real substance.

CD

Can you say OCC! that showed stressed me out. SOOOO tired of the yelling. I wanted to watch them build bikes, not throw chit around and hate eachother. i think its sad how bad it shows a father hating his son and visa versa.

WHOA, ok, gotta get off me soap box tonight!.

if i dont have cable, how can one watch these new shows? Is there like a free way on the net?

thanks

Midnight Smoke
05-03-2011, 01:31 AM
if i dont have cable, how can one watch these new shows? Is there like a free way on the net?

thanks

Just a quick search gave me this, not sure if it is in sync with the TV times, I think so. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/index.html

Preview Best in Smoke

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/best-in-smoke-promo/73621.html
(http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/best-in-smoke-promo/73621.html)

jaymo
05-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Meh. Sounds like it has the potential to be as bad as the second season of BBQ Pitmasters was, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope it proves me wrong.

As far as food shows go, I'd rather see someone do what they are really good at and have spent a lifetime practicing rather than the goofy antics they run contestants through on these things, then followed up with judging by people who are simply not qualified. At that point it might as well be who can "BBQ" the best single quail egg, as judged by these 3 trained vegan otters!

LT72884
05-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Just a quick search gave me this, not sure if it is in sync with the TV times, I think so. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/index.html

Preview Best in Smoke

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/best-in-smoke-promo/73621.html
(http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/best-in-smoke-promo/73621.html)

ok cool. thanks. Im trying to find a windows app that will stream cable via internet. I use to have one but i forgot waht it was. it was legal as well.

deepsouth
05-03-2011, 10:36 AM
it's a bbq show. i'll watch.

daninnewjersey
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
As far as food shows go, I'd rather see someone do what they are really good at and have spent a lifetime practicing[/I]

One of the reasons I like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Yeah Guy can be goofy, but he takes you into the kitchens of some of the best chefs in America....by that I mean those that LOVE what they do, crank out great food (and are happy to share their secrets), and have customers that keep coming back.

C-Town Smoker
05-03-2011, 11:18 AM
If you would like a sneak peak from one of the contestants, I will be interviewing Chris Hart of I-Que (AND HERE) on the radio show tonight around 9:14pm EST

www.thebbqcentralshow.com

Paulie
05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Was hoping to at least watch the first episode, but it doesn't look like it will air in Canada.

Big George's BBQ
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I like watching just to see our friends in front of the camera...Chris Hart from Ique is one of the pitmasters. Im watching just for that alone. :)

Same Here

HOG WILD BBQ
05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
cant wait. ought to be a good show

Mad About Que
05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
i like the challange shows as well.. but i see another cake cook off i'm gonna shoot a pastry chef....

K-Barbecue
05-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I just hope they don't send someone home just as they are getting started for some stupid frog legs or something like they did in season 2.

LT72884
05-04-2011, 01:27 AM
One of the reasons I like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Yeah Guy can be goofy, but he takes you into the kitchens of some of the best chefs in America....by that I mean those that LOVE what they do, crank out great food (and are happy to share their secrets), and have customers that keep coming back.

He was just here yesterday at a local cafe by my school filming for food network. He also featured Pats BBQ on diners, drive ins and dives.

he is a pretty chill guy

NorthwestBBQ
05-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Another fake "reality" show about competition BBQ? Amazing.

huckjr
05-04-2011, 02:19 AM
If bbq is on tv, I'm watching it

BigMouthSmokers
05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
I just hope they don't send someone home just as they are getting started for some stupid frog legs or something like they did in season 2.

Amen to that!

Lake Dogs
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
> From barbecue desserts to single bite hors d’oeuvres, no food is off limits.

Crap. Oh well.....

I have it set to tape. I think I'll remove that setting. I'd love to watch them compete, at barbecue, but I really dont give a rip if they can make beans or finger food with "limited time or limited equipment". That's for Iron Chef, and I dont watch Iron Chef.

smokeyw
05-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm with you on that!!!! I want to see some que, not cakes :mad:

i like the challange shows as well.. but i see another cake cook off i'm gonna shoot a pastry chef....

RAZORBACK JIM
05-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Gotta check it out!!!

Jim

1FUNVET
05-04-2011, 10:41 AM

I love frog legs, but i don't associate them with BBQ'ing.

ChicagoSizzlin
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Ill check out the first episode before I make any judgments on it. I will say the last Pitmasters show was the worst.

Jason TQ
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM

I completely agree there. That was really stupid. I remember the one episode with Johnny Trigg where ribs were the main event (and obviously his specialty) and I forget what the "stupid round" ingredient was, but everyone's "stupid round" dish was bad. And I think from my viewpoint that JT really didn't like that round and his dish may have been the worst.

The judges threw out that entire round saying it shouldn't be a determining factor or something like that. I'm guessing this was because JT's was the worst and the judges (and probably specifically Myron) said we can't get rid of JT in the Rib Competition episode for some dumb "side category" that doesn't matter at all. Trigg of course went on to winning :).

I guess that is a little conspiracy theory, but I bet the Food Network paid close attention to that show. I really liked the first season of Pitmasters to see the competitions and how they roll. I would enjoy more of that.

hamiltont
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm definitely going to watch it. I watch the Food Network more than all the other channels combined so this will fall right into place. I just hope it's not a let down! I want to see some real life BBQ with details & not a bunch of glitzy glamor drama, if you know what I mean. Cheers!!!

Cook
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Everyone needs to keep in mind that this show is on The Food Network. BBQ Pitmasters was on TLC. They are not the same family.

Warthog
05-04-2011, 01:46 PM
If it shows BBQ I'm gonna watch it!

Big D BBQ
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I will be watching.

dannypat21
05-04-2011, 03:51 PM
No matter what it is great to see BBQ getting some love. It is the only true American cuisine and even though the show might be cheesy or drama it is awesome that fellow BBQ'ers and Brethren will be on TV competing.

Lytnin
05-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Went to Famous Dave's for lunch today and I see they has big posters everywhere touting that one of the competitors on this show is going to be Famous Dave himself. I'll at least give the show a once over.

Soybomb
05-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Everyone needs to keep in mind that this show is on The Food Network. BBQ Pitmasters was on TLC. They are not the same family.
I'm not sure the network that brought us sandra lee's kwanza cake, and rachael ray is all the more confidence inspiring. :becky:

NorthwestBBQ
05-05-2011, 12:20 AM
This show will fail.

BBQ Grail
05-05-2011, 12:44 AM
If it shows BBQ I'm gonna watch it!

Exactly...

Smoothsmoke
05-05-2011, 12:47 AM
It'd be cool to see popdaddy on a show.

I'll watch regardless if it sucks, it's BBQ, how can I not?

bigdogphin
05-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Is there a list of the competitiors somewhere?

Anything to get people interested in bbq is a good thing.

HB-BBQ
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
I am watching for sure for all of the reasons above. Another reason is it will keep my wife from watching any Bethany re-runs when its on. I can't stand that chick...

FireChief
05-05-2011, 01:23 AM
This show will fail.

Why????

BBQ Grail
05-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Why????

---never mind----

Cook
05-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure the network that brought us sandra lee's kwanza cake, and rachael ray is all the more confidence inspiring. :becky:

I wasn't trying to boost confidence really. There were several responses saying things like "I hope they don't do xxx like they did in season 2". It sounded as if folks thought this was the same show as BBQ Pitmasters. I was clarifying that point.

smokeyw
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I thought the last BBQ Pitmaster series was a bit cheesey and I didn't especially agree with contestants getting ousted because they couldn't cook alligator or turduckin or any of those odd things. However, I have to say that I still enjoyed watching the show. I will be tuned in to Best of Smoke and I'm sure I will enjoy watching it no matter what.

Lake Dogs
05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I wasn't trying to boost confidence really. There were several responses saying things like "I hope they don't do xxx like they did in season 2". It sounded as if folks thought this was the same show as BBQ Pitmasters. I was clarifying that point.

From a guy who LOVED the first season of BBQ Pitmasters and hated the 2nd season (well, the 2 shows I watched) because the 2nd season wasn't about cooking, or competing in barbecue:

They said: This competition tests the competitors’ endurance and skill as they take on multiple challenges in a day with limited resources and cook for vastly different audiences. From barbecue desserts to single bite hors d’oeuvres, no food is off limits.

To me, all they've done is come up with their own version of Season II of BBQ Pitmasters. I'll tape the first one and watch (and reserve judgement until I see it), but if it's about cooking finger food and duck, I'm not watching. That would be just another Iron Chef show using seasoned/accomplished BBQ teams/cooks. While I like the competitors and it's nice to see friends on TV, I wont watch. I dont have enough hours in the day as it is...

PatioDaddio
05-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Food Network has extended an offer for me to talk to host Bryan Caswell
about the show. Do you have any burning questions?

John

va_connoisseur
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
After reading that press release, I will be skipping this. Like BBQ Pitmasters, it's just a "reality" show. Would love for them to do a series on the KC BBQ circuit or a 4 part mini-series on the lead up to Memphis in May (or any other major bbq competition).

BBQ Grail
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Food Network has extended an offer for me to talk to host Bryan Caswell
about the show. Do you have any burning questions?

John

I'll be on the same call John, let's have some fun...

Jay Bird
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't usually watch food shows. If it's about smoke I'll give it a try & see how it plays out. All shall be revealed!

chambersuac
05-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna watch it - if a Brethren is on it, that alone is worthy of support, in my opinion. If it really sucks, I can always change the channel...but figure it's worth checking out.

Skidder
05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Wish they would do blind judging. Not fair looking at someone and know they cooked it.

1FUNVET
05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll at least watch the 1st one to see it's all about.

rolfejr
05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
As an aspiring bbq competitor PM season one was a bit like a training video, PM season two was a reality show train wreck, virtually unwatchable.
This show seems to follow the PM season two format, I'll pass.

Wampus
05-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I loved the 1st season of Pitmasters.
I didn't care for the 2nd season's format at all, but still watched every single episode.
I've watched every single BBQ show or episode of a regular show from the Travel Channel to Food Network's Unwrapped (and I really don't care for that show) to Diner's Drive-ins and Dives BBQ episode to whatever else comes on. Some I've even watched twice.

I'll be watching.

PatioDaddio
05-06-2011, 02:44 AM
I'll be on the same call John, let's have some fun...

Aw'ight! :-D

John

3 Rivers BBQ
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Spoke to Craig Orrison, from The Shed, and sounds like it is a hybrid of the two seasons. It sounds like it is more focused on BBQ procedures on certain areas. Heck, don't have football on sunday right now, so bbq will be a good replacement. I am interested in seeing how "Famous Dave" performs, sense he is more of a mouth piece and the other teams are competing almost weekly....Go Shed!

dannypat21
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I am watching for sure for all of the reasons above. Another reason is it will keep my wife from watching any Bethany re-runs when its on. I can't stand that chick...

I thought I was the only one put through that torture.

deepsouth
05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Spoke to Craig Orrison, from The Shed, and sounds like it is a hybrid of the two seasons. It sounds like it is more focused on BBQ procedures on certain areas. Heck, don't have football on sunday right now, so bbq will be a good replacement. I am interested in seeing how "Famous Dave" performs, sense he is more of a mouth piece and the other teams are competing almost weekly....Go Shed!

mississippi represent! (i still like my Q lots better than his though.)

OpelGTMan
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Nice. Glad the Shed is on this. I lived there 8 years and loved going to their place.

BobBrisket
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Ditto. For friends and for "our" local competitor. :wink:
http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_17984209?IADID=Search-www.elpasotimes.com-www.elpasotimes.com

"In the past month and a half, I've been cutting down all these dead fruit and nut trees as a result of our freeze in February and throwing them into my smoker while doing briskets or ribs," she said. "I've been putting the peach wood in with my ribs and the cherry and pecan wood with my brisket; it's magic." Chef Horowitz

Now I know why I can't score any smoking wood.............she's been getting it all. :becky:

Bob

MrSmoker
05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I've got the DVR set.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
That show sounds like its gonna be lame

Mad About Que
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
they did that on food network a couple years back in may. ol bobby flay was smoking up a storm for the month. i didn't catch much of it till the last week. figured they would do something simular the next year.. still waiting..

After reading that press release, I will be skipping this. Like BBQ Pitmasters, it's just a "reality" show. Would love for them to do a series on the KC BBQ circuit or a 4 part mini-series on the lead up to Memphis in May (or any other major bbq competition).

SmokeInDaEye
05-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Here's an interview I did with the contestants http://www.grilling.com/home/article/2641/

Westexbbq
05-07-2011, 11:55 AM
^^^^^
Very nice and interesting chat, Clint.

Militant83
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Looks like it has the potential if being a good show...only time will tell..They can make anything look good in the preview trailers. I hope it is good though i need something to watch on my sunday nights..lol

appliancedude
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok, so we have BBQ Pitmasters season 2 with an element of Amazing Race. Like others, I'll check out the first episode, and make my decision from there.

Strike BBQ
05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Ooops I did a search and came up blank and now I find this thread.

J'ville Grill
05-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Ooops I did a search and came up blank and now I find this thread.

That's ok I don't think anyone is going to send you to the penalty box:-P

speedrcer1
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone up for a live chat during the show?

Sledneck
05-08-2011, 10:34 PM
That show sounds like its gonna be lame

An you can ascertain that how??

Big George's BBQ
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I am watching it now. I took Chris Hart's Class this year. I enjoy BBQ shows so I plan to watch it

thirdeye
05-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Did they say "baby backs" over and over.... looks like Chris Lilly is doing spares.

speedrcer1
05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Did they say "baby backs" over and over.... looks like Chris Lilly is doing spares.

I need to rewind that one.

MattG
05-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Wish these shows would be more like season 1 of Pitmasters. SHOW MORE PREP!!!!

speedrcer1
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
At the judging, they called it St. Louis.

thirdeye
05-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Dave better reach for the MSG. Heheheee.

Boshizzle
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
A "BBQ" contest that gives contestants 4 hours to fire up the pits and cook the meat. Just more crap. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Mitch
05-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Sorry show. I'm taking the dog for a walk.

jestridge
05-08-2011, 11:48 PM
When I watch a BBq idon't want to see salmon.

thirdeye
05-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Boy... choosing sausage that you didn't season and stuff yourself is risky.

Boshizzle
05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
When I watch a BBq idon't want to see salmon.

Yep, I also don't want to see them boiling short ribs. Did she mention that her catering business is about to go under?

Jaberwabee
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
The balding judgenis annoying as hell, and the show sucks. Why would she even be in the shownif she is not good enough to keep a catering job afloat?

Slamdunkpro
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Yep, I also don't want to see them boiling short ribs. Did she mention that her catering business is about to go under.
Annnnd now we know why.......

speedrcer1
05-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Well, At least it's not about Cakes!!

Jaberwabee
Yep, I also don't want to see them boiling short ribs. Did she mention that her catering business is about to go under.

No chit!

Boshizzle
Boy... choosing sausage that you didn't season and stuff yourself is risky.

Did the judges say "flat?" Uh, oh.

Chef Jim
05-09-2011, 12:02 AM
It was better than pit masters. not by much though

jestridge
05-09-2011, 12:02 AM
The bald judge need a good old fashion A@@ kicking, matter of fact all the judges are annoying.

Sledneck
05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I thought the show was really good

LOUMAFF3
05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
The show was ok, some good bbq entertainment.

Smoothsmoke
05-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Glad the lady lost, was getting tired of her sob stories.

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 12:05 AM
I thought the show was really good

I thought Chris' Sully impersonation was the more poorly executed than his chicken........

Did John look short or was that just a bad camera angle?:becky:

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Chris Lilly was crapping in his pants.

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:07 AM
The saddest part is, I will watch this freakin' show every week regardless of how much it frustrates me.

thirdeye
05-09-2011, 12:08 AM

They all knew better than to let him loose on the first show.

Smoothsmoke
05-09-2011, 12:10 AM
So is their another show where Mista will be on or is it the same series?

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 12:11 AM

he was still smooth......that dude is polished glass

K-Barbecue
05-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Ya thinks they would have provided some shelter (tents) for possible rain showers :crazy:

bigdogphin
05-09-2011, 12:13 AM
We liked it ... Judges were tough but it makes for some good TV.

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
he was still smooth......that dude is polished glass

Yep. He is the best BBQ cook on the show.

jrbBBQ
05-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Hmmm..., I'm glad I have a DVR and fast forward through some of the BS. Some of it was interesting and I'm sure I'll watch every episode. It's about cooking at a high level with alot pressure more than it is about BBQ. That's not a bad thing though. At least the equipment and weather look familiar for a competition.

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Yep. He is the best BBQ cook on the show.

maybe.......we'll see, I bet some pretty tasty things come from some of the other camps too. he is most definately the smoothest

Jaberwabee
05-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Chris has been trained by the likes of "Good Morning America" and "The Today Show" live. I doubt he was crapping his pants on a taped show even for 50k.

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Chris has been trained by the likes of "Good Morning America" and "The Today Show" live. I doubt he was crapping his pants on a taped show even for 50k.

He sounded pretty worried to me when he put BBG's reputation on the line.

Jaberwabee
05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Oh yeah, btw......Muzzle and Sled posting in a thread.....is this 2007? Oh wait, I just chimed in ...... Not used to seeing some old timers, lately.

Jaberwabee
05-09-2011, 12:40 AM
He sounded pretty worried to me when he put BBG's reputation on the line.

I doubt a show that nobody except us is watching is ruining BBG's rep. Come on, who lost rep by losing a Cake War???? nobody! Those that didn't know about BBG's might go there now, and those that already have their white sauce in the fridge will still go. All pub is good pub.

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm just going by what Chris Lilly was saying. I guess he could have been lying, but I take him at his word.

Smoothsmoke
05-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Anyone catch that the lady competitor said that she used liquid smoke?? So I'm assuming that is legal in this "comp"?

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 12:48 AM
The judges are just trying to be hip. It's like some people around here who call California cooking "soul food." It's a joke. It's not about BBQ. It's about making some Napa Valley snob feel good about something that they want to call BBQ.

Ms. Mills (a judge on the show) is probably the most real BBQ educated person among the judges. The others are cork sniffing snobs that wouldn't know good BBQ if it bit them on the back sides of their posteriors.

Sorry to vent, but I speak truth to TV executive power. :laugh:

thirdeye
05-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Anyone catch that the lady competitor said that she used liquid smoke?? So I'm assuming that is legal in this "comp"?

That's what I thought she said too, then again... maybe she said "smoked sauce". I figure she cooked the sauce in the pit and it picked up some flavor on it's own.

Smoothsmoke
05-09-2011, 12:52 AM
That's what I thought she said too, then again... maybe she said "smoked sauce". I figure she cooked the sauce in the pit and it picked up some flavor on it's own.

I'm positive she said one or the other, "smoke liquid" or "liquid smoke" :confused: I nearly jumped out of my couch when I heard that. :mad2:

Groundhog66
05-09-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm positive she said one or the other, "smoke liquid" or "liquid smoke" :confused: I nearly jumped out of my couch when I heard that. :mad2:

She took the smoked liquid from the first salmon, and drizzled it over the second.

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh yeah, btw......Muzzle and Sled posting in a thread.....is this 2007? Oh wait, I just chimed in ...... Not used to seeing some old timers, lately.

time sure flies, don't it?

Ms. Mills (a judge on the show) is probably the most real BBQ educated person among the judges. The others are cork sniffing snobs that wouldn't know good BBQ if it bit them on the back sides of their posteriors.

well I for one, plan on going to Lonesome Dove for a steak one day and know for a fact that they have had some really good BBQ at the James Beard house

PatioDaddio
05-09-2011, 01:10 AM

well I for one, plan on going to Lonesome Dove for a steak one day and know for a fact that they have had some really good BBQ at the James Beard house

Yep. Tim Love and Bryan Caswell are certainly no cork-sniffing snobs, that's for sure.

John

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 01:13 AM

As long as it has been boiled and has some truffle infused oil on it, I'm sure. :heh:

Tell me, have they won MIM twice like Chris Lilly?

Slamdunkpro
05-09-2011, 01:20 AM
If nothing else it's clear that KCBS flavor profiles don't work in the real / food service world; rubbery chicken skin that's too sweet with an "odd" texture & ribs that taste "candied" = fail.

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 01:23 AM
If nothing else it's clear that KCBS flavor profiles don't work in the real / food service world; rubbery chicken skin that's too sweet with an "odd" texture & ribs that taste "candied" = fail.

KCBS requires rubbery chicken skin and candied ribs? I am not aware of such requirements in either KCBS or MABA which I am a proud member of both.

Jaberwabee
05-09-2011, 01:51 AM

Even my wife can retort that KCBS stab. When that happened on the show, I laughed out loud, or more of a chuckle, and my wife said "what are you laughing at?". I asked her, what happens when I cook chicken thighs to fast? She said, "they taste like crap and the skin is rubbery".

Not a KCBS thing, and KCBS doesn't have a certain flavor profile. And if you know what you are talking about, you would understand what adjustments Lilly made. You do know he has won MiM, twice. And that's not KCBS.

propsync
05-09-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm a member of liking to cook over fire. That said, I watched three minutes. Once I heard, 'Yeah, but they're not fall off the bone,' I turned it off. I figured the end of the show was going to show everybody riding off on unicorns. Fail.

PatioDaddio
05-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit that follows in the vein of the KCBS comments.

The other day on the call with Caswell he mentioned that when he was first
presented competition barbecue on the set of the show he asked Amy,
"What's this?" She replied, "It's competition barbecue." He responded with, "It
is?!", and then went on to say to us on the call something to the effect of,
"That's not barbecue to me."

I'm paraphrasing as best as I remember him describing the exchange. I don't
know, but I suspect that he was referring to the "pretty" and sweet nature
of competition barbecue.

John

mwmac
05-09-2011, 03:18 AM
I watched the episode and wish the show's executives "Good smokin' luck" with attracting viewers but I am done, (after only 1 hour versus the 4 hour cooking time limit). I look forward to reading reports by the Brethren about the sure to follow 4 hour pulled pork challenge.

WineMaster
05-09-2011, 04:39 AM
I watched the episode and wish the show's executives "Good smokin' luck" with attracting viewers but I am done, (after only 1 hour versus the 4 hour cooking time limit). I look forward to reading reports by the Brethren about the sure to follow 4 hour pulled pork challenge.

Love the Pulse of the show. You guys deserve every Cup Cake battle they show on the Food Network

Sledneck
05-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Love the Pulse of the show. You guys deserve every Cup Cake battle they show on the Food Network

Thank You! So many bbq experts/tv producers on here :roll: I see people on this site wrap a frozen meatball with bacon and boast about it like theirs no tomorrow, yet the food and times on this show get put down. Too funny......

jestridge
05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Sled I didn't care for the show, but what you said about those meatballs was funny

MilitantSquatter
05-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Thank You! So many bbq experts/tv producers on here :roll: I see people on this site wrap a frozen meatball with bacon and boast about it like theirs no tomorrow, yet the food and times on this show get put down. Too funny......

Brilliant..and don't forget the all important stuffed ground sausage AKA fatty :thumb:

southernsmoker
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Yep we'll get it up here in Canada on the food network begining May 17th (we're always behind..lol) But there's not enough BBQ programs out there so I will be supporting it regardless...:-D

SmokinAussie
05-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I suppose I'll be trawling BitStream for a feed. It's not likely to make it over here.

Big George's BBQ
05-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I watched it and will watch it next week too

Fishiest1
05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I didnt understand why the 3 judges would converse over the food. Thought it would have been better to hear what they thought individually.

ThomEmery
05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Posted by John Markus on May 08, 2011 at 04:26:02: on the BBQ Forum
During the past six years, I've produced four different BBQ competition shows on cable. OLN, VS, and TLC. But on May 28th at 2pm, we're launching a pure BBQ comp. on broadcast television-CBS SPORTS- and early estimates tell us the viewership could be the single largest TV audience ever to watch a strict competition BBQ show. CBS and Kingsford gave us total freedom here. For me, this represents a return to what I love about my first shows: straight BBQ categories, NO STUNTS, a legitimate judging panel (Master Judge Mike Lake for God's sakes!), and proven Pitmasters with their smokers, bantering with each other. Having just screened the premiere's rough cut, I can say it's our liveliest, most authentic show to date. And what's even better, I KNOW I'll be getting to hear what y'all think! So, tonight on FoodTV, enjoy that tofu-chasing smoke-a-rama in Brooklyn's Amazing Race/BBQ premiere. But be with us and CBS Sports May 28th.... JM, Exec. Producer

smokeyw
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I find the show somewhat interesting. However, it falls short of my expectations. I would rather see them smoking more forms of traditional "que" and I would rather see them all cooking the same things instead of running to the truck to see what they can grab first. I don't care much for the judges. Like many have said though, it beats a cake competition. I will continue to watch it.

Sledneck
05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
During the past six years, I've produced four different BBQ competition shows on cable. OLN, VS, and TLC. But on May 28th at 2pm, we're launching a pure BBQ comp. on broadcast television-CBS SPORTS- and early estimates tell us the viewership could be the single largest TV audience ever to watch a strict competition BBQ show. CBS and Kingsford gave us total freedom here. For me, this represents a return to what I love about my first shows: straight BBQ categories, NO STUNTS, a legitimate judging panel (Master Judge Mike Lake for God's sakes!), and proven Pitmasters with their smokers, bantering with each other. Having just screened the premiere's rough cut, I can say it's our liveliest, most authentic show to date. And what's even better, I KNOW I'll be getting to hear what y'all think! So, tonight on FoodTV, enjoy that tofu-chasing smoke-a-rama in Brooklyn's Amazing Race/BBQ premiere. But be with us and CBS Sports May 28th.... JM, Exec. ProducerThe comment in red just proves what ive though all along about that guy, hes such a dic k

davet54
05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
During the past six years, I've produced four different BBQ competition shows on cable. OLN, VS, and TLC. But on May 28th at 2pm, we're launching a pure BBQ comp. on broadcast television-CBS SPORTS- and early estimates tell us the viewership could be the single largest TV audience ever to watch a strict competition BBQ show. CBS and Kingsford gave us total freedom here. For me, this represents a return to what I love about my first shows: straight BBQ categories, NO STUNTS, a legitimate judging panel (Master Judge Mike Lake for God's sakes!), and proven Pitmasters with their smokers, bantering with each other. Having just screened the premiere's rough cut, I can say it's our liveliest, most authentic show to date. And what's even better, I KNOW I'll be getting to hear what y'all think! So, tonight on FoodTV, enjoy that tofu-chasing smoke-a-rama in Brooklyn's Amazing Race/BBQ premiere. But be with us and CBS Sports May 28th.... JM, Exec. Producer

Be sure to remind us again when it comes close, will have to watch that one.

Grafixgibbs
05-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Overall I enjoyed the show. The name of the show isn't "Best in BBQ" it's "Best in Smoke" while BBQ does fall into that title so does salmon, sausage and many other yummy tid bites. While many here are looking for a strictly BBQ show this is not it. This is more of an "anything but" type show. I found it interesting to hear about the main ingredients of some of the rubs and some of the challenges the cooks found trying to cook and how they solved them, heat issues, cooking too quick, rain etc.

Overall it is a fun cooking show. Not strictly a BBQ show but a show about smoking.

1FUNVET
05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Famous Dave needs a pinch runner.

Bama Q
05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds intersting,Thanks for the heads up.

MattG
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
:shocked:It was better than pit masters. not by much though

I thought Pitmasters was better than this. :shocked:

PigTamer
05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
+1 for Pitmasters being slightly better

bover
05-09-2011, 12:45 PM
In my opinion, the only thing better about PM2 was the judges. Neither these BIS judges nor the host are very camera friendly. I know they are perfectly qualified to be judges, but they have got to work on their on-screen presence.

Westexbbq
05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I watched it.
I liked it in some parts.
It is commercial television.
I'm still rooting for Chris Hart.:thumb:

deepsouth
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
we really liked it. best thing on in it's timeslot.

Militant83
05-09-2011, 01:40 PM
I enjoyed it..as others have said i did like pitmasters better. But I now have something good that I can watch and pick up some tips here and there on a sunday evening.

Lake Dogs
05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Pitmasters was better? I'm curious, which season, and why?

jestridge
05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I tprolly all script. You Know Chris Lily wouldn't put his reputation on the line or Famous Dave either. These show kinda like professional Wrestling

ique
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Well so far they havent worked with three judges. Not sure if that qualifies as the real world.

After day 1 I had a long night trying to decide whether to stick with the horse that brung ya, or change things up....

smknwhlswife
05-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey Chris - just wanted to say Congrats! on the show! Pretty cool!

Can't say if I like it or not, because we don't have cable so can't watch it.

ique
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM

So, tonight on FoodTV, enjoy that tofu-chasing smoke-a-rama in Brooklyn's Amazing Race/BBQ premiere. But be with us and CBS Sports May 28th.... JM, Exec. Producer

LOL. I guess John finally got his own opportunity to trash a bbq show before seeing an episode! :boxing:

CarolinaQue
05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Gotts love Monday morning armchair quarter backs!!!

ThomEmery
05-09-2011, 05:21 PM
LOL. I guess John finally got his own opportunity to trash a bbq show before seeing an episode! :boxing:

LOL indeed

1FUNVET
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I tprolly all script. You Know Chris Lily wouldn't put his reputation on the line or Famous Dave either. These show kinda like professional Wrestling

Are you hinting the pro wrestling is a fake :doh:

I'll watch the show again next week cause it is entertaining.I'm glad my BIL was not watching cause he would have told me" see ya can boil ribs first":laugh:

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
As long as it has been boiled and has some truffle infused oil on it, I'm sure. :heh:

Tell me, have they won MIM twice like Chris Lilly?

Probably not, but I think the Texan knows his chit when it comes to meat and I think the James Beard dude was around when reigning Jack champ Chris Hart cooked for them (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90220&highlight=james+beard+house)

that was so wrong making my man do it not once but twice. Did you check out Hart's run 2nd run to the truck? He did the robot......

Well so far they havent worked with three judges. Not sure if that qualifies as the real world.

After day 1 I had a long night trying to decide whether to stick with the horse that brung ya, or change things up....

oh hey sorry Chris didn't think you would be in here reading this :becky: Congrats man the show was fun to watch! Sabrina let out a huge gasp when they called your name. Did the cast all get together at Hill Country for the premiere?

Can't say if I like it or not, because we don't have cable so can't watch it.

are you guys going to even home enough this summer to bother with getting cable? Can't you just watch the DVR on the G5?:thumb:

mbshop
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
i found it mind numbingly boring. actually put me to sleep ! having the same things sayed over and over and little about actually cooking is just not interesting.

Lytnin
05-09-2011, 06:40 PM
It is a typical Food Network challenge show. Yah they tell you what they are GOING to do but then they show very little of it being done then follow it with pretentious food snobs complaining about every little thing. I watch Food Network all the time and this is their classic programming just from the BBQ angle.

Jay Bird
05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Got 2 thumbs down in this household. :crazy: :crazy: Sorry Chris, just couldn't get into the concept.

Slamdunkpro
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM

I should have put "real world" in quotes: i.e. the TV judge's world.:suspicious:

ique
05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Got 2 thumbs down in this household. :crazy: :crazy: Sorry Chris, just couldn't get into the concept.

Have at it guys, you won't hurt my feelings.

Any questions, let me know

SmokinAussie
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I just got a link to a file from Infernoo! I'll watch it tonight!

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM

I have a question for you. Were you ever able to successfully cook in your Jambo using only charcoal using a charcoal basket and, if so, how? How much charcoal did it take?

Rich Parker
05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I liked the show. :thumb:

Muzzlebrake
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM

did you always run like a girl?:becky:

serious though, how gnarley was it standing in all that water with the electric they had?

BIGBrandon2785
05-09-2011, 08:55 PM
haha

BIGBrandon2785
05-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I really liked the show,not as good as Pitmasters season 1, but 10x better than season 2

ique
05-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I have a question for you. Were you ever able to successfully cook in your Jambo using only charcoal using a charcoal basket and, if so, how? How much charcoal did it take?

I won the Jack using a charcoal basket on my J-3, 40lbs wicked good lump and a few splits of hickory.

http://ique2.blogspot.com/search?q=charcoal+basket

did you always run like a girl?:becky:

The producers asked me to act like I was from New York

Boshizzle
05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I won the Jack using a charcoal basket on my J-3, 40lbs wicked good lump and a few splits of hickory.

http://ique2.blogspot.com/search?q=charcoal+basket

Very nice! I guess I'm not using enough charcoal in mine. Two chimneys of regular K won't get over 190F. Perhaps I need to try a bigger charcoal basket. I have no troubles getting temp with an 18" piece of oak.

:laugh:

DannyMac
05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Chris, any worries with the rain and the electrical equipment?

juslearning
05-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I thought the show was OK. I will watch it again. It was not exactly what I wanted to see, but kinda interesting. The producers should have either told the competitors to be ready to set up like it was a comp or at least provided the shelter. Amazing that only one team had some sort of protection from the elements.

LT72884
05-09-2011, 10:59 PM

wait a minute, are you in the show?

Is Thom Emery also in the show?

thanks

Matt

JiveTurkey
05-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Whats up with all the haters. A BBQ show on TV should have BBQ people excited, not moaning like a dying cat. Who cares if it's not perfect, nothing is. After reading this whole thread so far here is the run down for those just catching up...

"I dont like it"
"I like other shows better"
"I blah blah blah"
"I I I I I I"
Did I say "I"? Who cares, get over yourselves. It's BBQ, enjoy it.

The people who make and participate in these shows spend a lot of time and money to do it for our enjoyment. They also tend to read the BBQ Brethren as well since this is THE PLACE to go for all things in the world of BBQ and instead of them getting a little love for the efforts they put in instead they get a bunch of whiners. Quit the bitchin already. If you don't like it don't watch it. You don't need to tell everybody you're not going to watch it. Just don't watch it. Period. End of story. Leave this thread for those that did and want to chat about it. Quit peeing in the miso.

BBQchef33
05-09-2011, 11:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2::clap2:

SmokinAussie
05-10-2011, 06:17 AM
I just watched the show in an AVI file sent to me by Infernoo!

I'm familiar with this kind of format, and it sh!t's me to tears usually... but this is about SMOKE and BBQ and Grillin!... not frickin cup cakes, so I got a lot out of it.

It's good to see the BBQ'n gear in operation. Even quick snippets of the gear and some explanation of process and problem solving was really good, even if it was brief.

The format naturally has to challenge REAL low, and slow BBQ simply to make it interesting for a consumer audience. A 16 hour butt with "the stall" included, simply isn't good TV, and in addition it's a competition, so the normal proceses HAVE to be challenged to see who of the 6 contestants can overcome and win the moola.

As for the result... strangely enough, I thought it was correct. Yes, the judges are a pain, and you can see the looks on the contestants faces when recieving an unexpected comment... like the guy who said Chris Lilly's entry was too sweet! Chris just looks at him... for a while... then says... "OK, I got your flavour profile" Smart answer!

To Chris Hart.. if you're still reading... well done man, I thought you were shot round one.. I would have picked Chicken too. 4 hours for that... no brainer. Nice recovery and an I hope you go all the way! Cheers!

Bill

blues_n_cues
05-10-2011, 08:15 AM
it wasn't for me but it's good for BBQ to get more exposure(like it needs it these days). :roll:

Big slick
05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I watched the show last night and i liked it a lot. I couldn't believe though that Famous dave got such bad remarks on the first round. I personally don't like the cooking styles of the young guy from new york (beard and glasses). Its too yuppyish for my liking. I also felt bad for Famous Dave when it came to racing to the meat truck. He is old, out of shape, and doesn't have the ability to haul ass to the truck like the other guys. I liked Chris's idea of seasoning his ribs, then cooking them and then applying a light coat of BBQ sauce followed by a different spice. I will have to try that. It sounded so good!!!

I also feel that the judging is kind of ehhh I think the competitors should be the judges. If anyone knows BBQ its them. When we think of BBQ some of them come to mind. All and all i look forward to next weeks show.

Ique,

I felt your pain with those chicken thighs. However, i still thought they looked awesome! I liked how you didn't season them heavily so that the chicken was the star not your dry rub.

topchefvt52
05-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Does that mean we'll be seeing you wearing a Yankees cap next week? <grins, ducks, runs>

langer
05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I watched the show last night and i liked it a lot. I couldn't believe though that Famous dave got such bad remarks on the first round. I personally don't like the cooking styles of the young guy from new york (beard and glasses). Its too yuppyish for my liking. I also felt bad for Famous Dave when it came to racing to the meat truck. He is old, out of shape, and doesn't have the ability to haul ass to the truck like the other guys. I liked Chris's idea of seasoning his ribs, then cooking them and then applying a light coat of BBQ sauce followed by a different spice. I will have to try that. It sounded so good!!!

I also feel that the judging is kind of ehhh I think the competitors should be the judges. If anyone knows BBQ its them. When we think of BBQ some of them come to mind. All and all i look forward to next weeks show.

Ique,

I felt your pain with those chicken thighs. However, i still thought they looked awesome! I liked how you didn't season them heavily so that the chicken was the star not your dry rub.
Dude in the hat and glasses is my brother. You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no. And, he's not from Brooklyn, originally Baltimore. His cooking assistant worked at per se in NYC, so that is where some of the "finer" elements of the cooking came from. I'm not saying my brother can't cook hoity toity food, but if you've ever been to per se, you'd know what I mean.
I do agree about the judging, they (besides Tim Love) don't look comfortable in front of the cameras. Then again, my brother didn't look too comfortable either.

SmokinAussie
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
^^^ I thought your brother was OK. He's not cut from the same cloth as a Team BBQ'r but that means he's gonna add some different ways to do things. Nothing wrong with that. For me, it's all about the food and the invention, not about the tradition, which is what some people are getting bogged down about here.

Cheers!

Bill

deepsouth
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Dude in the hat and glasses is my brother. You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no. And, he's not from Brooklyn, originally Baltimore. His cooking assistant worked at Per Se in NYC, so that is where some of the "finer" elements of the cooking came from.
I do agree about the judging, they (besides Tim Love) don't look comfortable in front of the cameras. Then again, my brother didn't look too comfortable either.

i liked him. seems he's going to do well too.

langer
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
^^^ I thought your brother was OK. He's not cut from the same cloth as a Team BBQ'r but that means he's gonna add some different ways to do things. Nothing wrong with that. For me, it's all about the food and the invention, not about the tradition, which is what some people are getting bogged down about here.

Cheers!

Bill
Haha, he pretty much cuts his own cloth. He's a damn fine cook though, I always look forward to family get togethers when he's in the kitchen. Only problem with french trained chefs, they use all the butter and every single pot in the kitchen.
They must've done some creative editing, cuz I'm sure he was dropping expletives left and right.

Sledneck
05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no.ther.
I thought all the yuppies were gone and graduated to hipster these days :wink::becky:

Smoking Bruin
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
It's always nice to watch something related to BBQ on TV. The DVR has been set to record the series. :thumb:

ique
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Dude in the hat and glasses is my brother. You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no. And, he's not from Brooklyn, originally Baltimore. His cooking assistant worked at per se in NYC, so that is where some of the "finer" elements of the cooking came from. I'm not saying my brother can't cook hoity toity food, but if you've ever been to per se, you'd know what I mean.

Matt was a very cool guy. Definitely one of a kind. Very different flavor profiles than comp stuff. Was a pleasure to cook on the show with him.

Big Poppa
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I liked your brother and loved that he cooked on a meadow creek.

I think that the haters are as predictable as the sun coming up....and they continue to watch it.

The smartest thing the producers did was not call it BBQ...Best in Smoke opens it up to a lot of cooking styles which is liberating.

The judges huddling and talking is not the best...

Is it me or are bbq stars the absolute worst judges?

Why on these shows dont the get better ingredients? Those ribs were horrible

JiveTurkey
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Although boiling meat is a big no no getting sent home for a piece of pineapple was hard to watch. Biases aside for cooking methods it felt like watching people get waxed after not cooking snake properly on PM2. What's up with that? Why can't they send people home because their main ingredient was bad. They also need to give that car bbq that The Shed is cooking on some more air time, I wanna see how that thing works!

Muzzlebrake
05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I thought all the yuppies were gone and graduated to hipster these days :wink::becky:

no silly, they all became bloggers :becky:

ique
05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
They also need to give that car bbq that The Shed is cooking on some more air time, I wanna see how that thing works!

A few pics