PDA

View Full Version : if you have a turkey fryer, then you need to try this!

Big slick
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I got a turkey fryer this past week from my family and decided that i want to do a shrimp boil.

Here is the exact recipe i used

1 1/2 cup Old Bay Seasoning
6 Tbs salt
3 gallons of water
3 cans of beer
8 boiler/small red potatoes
2 Large Vidalia Onions, cut in quarters
2 lbs smoked sausage, cut in 2 inch lengths
8 ears frozen corn on the cob (thawed)
2 1/2lbs large shrimp (16-20) tail on, peeled and deveined
3 Dozen Middle Neck Clams
2 Lemons Cut in Half

In a 30 quart stock pot bring Old Bay, Salt, Water and beer to a boil

Add Potatoes, and onions and cook over high for 8 minutes

Add smoked sausage and corn and cook on high for 10 minutes

Add Clams and lemons cook for 4 minutes

Add shrimp and cook till shrimp are pink (about 2-3 minutes)

This is the end result and it was out of this world. it was a great dinner to end the work week and welcome the weekend.

VERY SIMPLE TO DO. It took about 40 minutes to cook and clean up is a breeze.

SmokeOCD
05-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Looks great - gotta ask.
Where in Illinois would one go for clams? :confused:
Anytime I find a place for good seafood, it usually goes out of business soon after.

chicagokp
05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Next time, invite me over!

Boshizzle
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Looking good! Those kinds of dishes are great with friends and family. Everyone has to huddle around the pot.

Phrasty
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Nice! I love seafood boils brother! Looks Great!

Cheers

el_matt
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
That looks amazing. I've always wanted to do something like that. I mayhave tobreak down and finally do it this year. Thanks for the recipe.

Matt

cpw
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Around here, they call it low country boil, but without the clams, and sometimes with crab legs and a little (or a lot) of hot sauce to make it spicy.

Big slick
05-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Looks great - gotta ask.
Anytime I find a place for good seafood, it usually goes out of business soon after.

My father in law is in the meat delivery industry so he buys directly from the fish markets in the city (Isacson and stein). If I had to buy it I would try either Meijers or Costco. Both are well priced for seafood and meat as well.

SmokeOCD
05-01-2011, 10:06 PM
If you ever make it out to Niles there is Fresh Farms International Market. It will make your eyes bug out to see their fish section. It's amazing, I just live too far away. Did Meijers for fish before, not Costco yet.

The Pigman
05-02-2011, 05:42 AM
How many would you say this feeds.........

Big slick
05-02-2011, 07:56 AM
If you ever make it out to Niles there is Fresh Farms International Market. It will make your eyes bug out to see their fish section. It's amazing, I just live too far away. Did Meijers for fish before, not Costco yet.

If i'm ever in the area i'll be sure to check it out. I highly reccomend costco. Their prices are very competetive to what my father-in law pays. Also if you know anyone with access to Restaurant Depot i would check them out too.

How many would you say this feeds.........

It depends on your eaters i guess. If you are going to have some sort of appetizers before hand to fill up on then i would say it will feed between 8-10. If you are serving just this then i would say between 5-7. I made this for 5 (this is all i was serving) and we are pretty good eaters. It filled to large aluminum pans. by the time we finished eating i had one heaping aluminum half pan of leftovers (the picture above). Obviously if you have a larger stock pot you can add more to the recipe. 30 quarts was the size of my stock pot and by the time i was done adding everything the water was almost to the top of the pot. However if you cut out the clams and relaced it with more shrimp you could stretch the serving size out a little more.

zwylde1
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
That looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Rubmybutt
05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
That looks AWSOME and with the price of turkey friers going down it makes sense to have a spare around cuze you never know when someone will show up with shrimp and clams!:thumb:

3 Rivers BBQ
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice!

upjeeper
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
wow. very well done!!

iwasaseabee
05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
looking good! I'd eat that!

fishinchef
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Lookin good. I am from coastal SC and we do that a lot, your recipe is very similar to mine, biggest difference is I use fresh corn, no clams.

Big slick
05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Corn isn't in season yet or else i would've used fresh. Frozen corn sucks big time. The clams are a nice touch but i am more of a mussel man myself. All and all i would make this again in a heartbeat. Next time i might skip all of the veggies and just go nuts and do straight seafood instead. I'm talking Shrimp, clams, Mussels, Crab legs and a few lobster tails. My anniversary is coming up and i don't see the wife arguing a meal like that at all.

cowgirl
05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Looks sooooo good!! :thumb:

falty
07-08-2013, 01:40 AM
I got a turkey fryer this past week from my family and decided that i want to do a shrimp boil.

Here is the exact recipe i used

1 1/2 cup Old Bay Seasoning
6 Tbs salt
3 gallons of water
3 cans of beer
8 boiler/small red potatoes
2 Large Vidalia Onions, cut in quarters
2 lbs smoked sausage, cut in 2 inch lengths
8 ears frozen corn on the cob (thawed)
2 1/2lbs large shrimp (16-20) tail on, peeled and deveined
3 Dozen Middle Neck Clams
2 Lemons Cut in Half

In a 30 quart stock pot bring Old Bay, Salt, Water and beer to a boil

Add Potatoes, and onions and cook over high for 8 minutes

Add smoked sausage and corn and cook on high for 10 minutes

Add Clams and lemons cook for 4 minutes

Add shrimp and cook till shrimp are pink (about 2-3 minutes)

This is the end result and it was out of this world. it was a great dinner to end the work week and welcome the weekend.

VERY SIMPLE TO DO. It took about 40 minutes to cook and clean up is a breeze.
It looks great I am going to try it

TurkeyLeg
07-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Man that looks great! I've had a turkey fryer for about 5 years, cooked 1 turkey (the oil was 30 bucks!!) and the rest have been seafood boils. Nothing better than everyone sitting together feasting on that!

slow-smoker
07-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Nice!

mytmouz
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I add mushrooms to mine, they absorb the flavor really well...

Tsevg9
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Man that is a tasty looking pot of seafood. Makes the mouth water

SmokinJohn
07-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Looks great - gotta ask.

Call Bob Chinn's in Wheeling, if they're still around. They fly seafood into O'Hare three times a day, so they might be able to get you some clams.

hachi-roku_fan
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
What kind of beer did you use?