PDA

View Full Version : When is the BGE ready?

gad99sten
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Just bought a LBGE. Doing my first cook tonight, which will be a beer butt chicken. I am going to fill the fire box with BGE lump and use a plate setter.

My question is when I light the egg, using my electric starter, do I shut the lid once it is lit and wait on my desired temp then adjust my draft doors to stabiliize? Do i need to let the charcoal burn longer or is it ready for cooking when it reaches target temp. Wasn't sure if lump is ready when temp is reached since no lighter fluid will be used or if you need to let it burn some. Any other tips are appreciated! :cheers

Ron_L
04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
It depends on how much of a hurry you are in :)

I don't use an electric starter, but once the lump is going I close the lid and leave the top and bottom open until the temp is about 25 degrees below my target temp. Then I put the top on with just the daisy open and adjust the bottom based on my cook temp (about 1/4 inch for 250, 3/4 inch for 325, 1 1/2 inch for 500, etc.). Then I let it stabilize, making small adjustments if needed for at least 30 minutes. If I am using the plate setter then that goes in and I let it stabilize again.

Once you put your meat in resist the urge to adjust the vents. The cold meat will drop the temp, but it should recover in 15 to 20 minutes. It if isn't back to temp after that then make small adjustments.

gad99sten
04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
thanks...what is the reason for not putting the plate setter in before you stabilize the egg? Thank you!

Zing
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
^^^^^^ Solid Advise ^^^^^^

I would also add that you want to avoid over shooting your desired temp by much. Once the egg gets hot, it takes a while to cool down.

Also there are many ways to light your egg. IMHO the electric starter is not one of the better ones. You might search out some threads on how different people light there eggs (Mapp tourch, fires starter sticks, paper towels drizzeled with cooking oil, etc). I either use a weed burner or chimney myself.

isolated01
04-30-2011, 02:37 PM
+1 for the weed burner.

donmiller
04-30-2011, 02:54 PM
thanks...what is the reason for not putting the plate setter in before you stabilize the egg? Thank you!

Personally, I pre-stabilize without the place setter so as not to waste my smoke. The peachwood chunks do not go in until I put the platesetter in.

After I put the plate setter in, I usually go ahead and put the food on and watch the egg like a hawk for the first 30 minutes. Generally, you can leave the vent settings as they were previous to putting in the plate setter and you will be OK. The temp *might* temporarily shoot slightly above target for a bit if you were slow about putting the plate setter in (if you leave the lid open for more than a short period of time, more of the charcoal becomes "involved" than is optimum).

You should try spatchcocking sometime in lieu of the beercan method. The chick cooks faster and stays very moist. It does not have time to dry out.

Don

SmokinGuitarPlayer
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I suggest getting the Egg up maybe a little above the cook temp ...with only lump inside. Then have everything ready ...right there at the egg .. in this order ... chips/chunks/platesetter/drip pan/cooking grate/meat ... open the lid and put the stuff inside in that order. close the egg, wait maybe 10 to 15 min and then set your draft doors to get the desired temp ..it might come right back to where you want it anyway but if necessary , tweak it.

gad99sten
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM
thanks guys! can't wait to leave the office and play with my new toy!

Gore
04-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Strong word of advice: Whenever you have the vents wide open, set a kitchen timer for 5 or 10 minutes. It is so easy to get caught up in something else and come back to a 600* disaster!

swibirun
04-30-2011, 06:47 PM
For doing beer can chicken, once you have the Egg temp stable that is fine.

But when doing steaks, chops, burgers where I want to get nice sear marks from my grill grates, I like to let it preheat for 15 minutes ONCE the temp gets to my target temp. It takes the grate and ceramics longer to heat up than the air in the Egg.

And FWIW, you should also try a spatchcocked chicken in your Egg. IMHO it does better than setting it vertically on a can, more even cooking.

Good luck and enjoy!