PDA

View Full Version : Green Egg VS WSM

socalnewb
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
So My Dad is possibly thinking of buying a green egg I have been using a 22.5 WSM and Frackin Love it very little tinkering set it and forget it and on a bad day there $400 Dad got a pretty good quote for the XL model but still alot what are the main reasons or any that he should consider getting one over a 22.5 WSM Thanks in advance!

MilitantSquatter
04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
if he thinks he would do direct heat grilling, and/or pizza & bread making or general wood fired baking & cooking, then the BGE is much more versatile...

if his only use will be smoked meat... the WSM will save money and be just as productive.

socalnewb
04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Not sure what you can really do on the BGE other than smoking meat he also just had this built

MilitantSquatter
04-29-2011, 11:17 PM
You can do all that I described and even more (ex wok cooking too) on the BGE...

Since he's got the custom island and large gasser, if he doesn't plan to do any pizza making or have an interest in wood fired grilling etc... then go with the WSM... unless aesthetics is important - the BGE might compliment the overall look of the yard, more than the BGE, but that's a subjective opinion.

JD McGee
04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I am a WSM kinda guy when it comes to competition cooking...but in my backyard my BGE gets all the glory...it is much more versatile than the WSM...:cool:

Soybomb
04-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I view a BGE as a smoker and a grill. I'd say one vote for the BGE would be for when he wanted to do high heat charcoal grilling. If he's happy with all his grilling being done on gas then meh.

Gore
04-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Looking at that set-up, I think a BGE would look a whole lot nicer there than a WSM. If money were a concern and all you're interested in doing is smoking, then go for the WSM, but if someone was going to give me one of my choice, I'd pick the BGE every time. I have a primo XL myself (like a BGE). My main concern was cooking in cold weather. That is not a concern where you are. My wife wanted a bread/pizza oven. And yes, we also use it as a grill. We've cooked everything from bread, to pies, to cakes, to pizzas, to steaks, to roasts, to smoked salmon to prime rib ... you name it. The versatility is amazing. Yes, and I also have a very nice gasser too. I think $400 is a great price. Make sure he gets the diffusers, etc. He should pick those up at the same time as he'll be getting them later anyway.

Midnight Smoke
04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Agreed, with that outdoor kitchen the XL BGE would really make a focal point and it is very versatile for smoking and grilling. Plus it will be a great conversation piece.

Patrick C.
04-30-2011, 12:10 AM
I think a UDS would be the perfect functional and aesthetic compliment to that setup. :)

Sawdustguy
04-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Nothing makes better Pizza at home than an XL Big Green Egg unless you happen to own a brick oven.

BigDaddyJT
04-30-2011, 02:14 AM
Another nod for the BGE. I own both and use the BGE for all my BY cooking needs. As others have stated the BGE is more versitlie. In fact my WSM is in it's factory box, in the garage waiting for the next beach or fishing trip. Good luck on your next cook.

JT

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
The WSM has more capacity than the BGE, if that would be of any consideration to him.

That being said, I use the BGEs more than the WSM due to their versatility.

stuworld
04-30-2011, 09:14 AM
WSM has more capacity than an XL?

Shiz-Nit
04-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I have both and I can say my BGE is my work horse, she can smoke, bake, grill, sear and she can act like a brick oven and put out the most pefest pizza's

BGE vs. WSM = for me BGE all the way

If he is just looking to get something to smoke with look into a Backwoods Smoker. They are great and is what I use at comps.

MilitantSquatter
04-30-2011, 10:38 AM
The WSM has more capacity than the BGE, if that would be of any consideration to him.

WSM has more capacity than an XL?

comparing, the standard grate on XL BGE (452 sq. in) , to the two on the WSM (363 sq in top/338 sq in bottom), then yes... But if you get a rack extender for the BGE, you can add a second grate as well...

socalnewb
04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Man thanks for all the input I will defiantly post pics of my WSM today next to his set-up going over to do some baby back's!

NorcalBBQer
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't want to take this thread too far off track, but oh well. I've asked many of the Bay area Brethren this question, but if I have and am happy with my Performer (no plans to replace it) what do you think would be the better weapon to go with the BGE or WSM? I will be arming myself very soon, but can't seem to make a farkin decision! I should add, I'm interested in making pizza, live in a very windy town. There is a small added appeal to the WSM as it would be more portable to take camping and such.

Hankdad1
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't want to take this thread too far off track, but oh well. I've asked many of the Bay area Brethren this question, but if I have and am happy with my Performer (no plans to replace it) what do you think would be the better weapon to go with the BGE or WSM? I will be arming myself very soon, but can't seem to make a farkin decision! I should add, I'm interested in making pizza, live in a very windy town. There is a small added appeal to the WSM as it would be more portable to take camping and such.

I live in an area that can be very windy too, and have tried more than a couple of wind-blocks for my WSM. How does the BGE and other grill/smokers of that type do in windy situations compared to the WSM?

NorcalBBQer
04-30-2011, 03:22 PM
I live in an area that can be very windy too, and have tried more than a couple of wind-blocks for my WSM. How does the BGE and other grill/smokers of that type do in windy situations compared to the WSM?

And Hank have you found the wind to be a challenge even with the windblocks on your WSM?

BradB41
04-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I have an Egg. They are great and extremely versatile like so many here have said. They are pretty much set it and forget it as a low and slow smoker. I think a WSM has more capacity though.

Again, the versatility of the Egg is incredible. Everything from steaks to burgers to brisket to ribs are great on the BGE. I've never messed with pizzas or anything too exotic, but for a high or low heat cooker, the BGE is great. That being said, I will add a WSM at some point for an additional smoker.

SmokinGuitarPlayer
05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm a fan of both but the Egg you get that high temp grilling, baking and pizza making ... so it wins for me if you have to have only one of them.

HawgNationBBQ
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Go with the XL-BGE and Nest. It would look nice sitting next to that layout. The BGE is extremely versatile and will last a life time, unless he drops it.

AZScott
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Egg all the way. How many people would he be cooking for? I ask because if it's typically 6 or so I'd say go with the large since it will end up replacing that gasser unless there is a lot of people there and he's grilling burgers, dogs, etc. I think the one issue with the XL is that it's so big that it get's relegated to smoking and large parties only. My vote is a large BGE and use the money saved for accessories and meat.