PDA

View Full Version : One night in St. Louis... Where to go?

Ron_L
01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm going to be in the Westport area of St. Louis on Monday night for an education conference. I'm stuck taking some folks out to dinner. Where should we go? Any decent Q in that area (I'll drive 15-20 minutes). Any other places worth considering? It's been while since I was in that area. I know that there used to be a Dierdorf & Hart's and a place owned by Ozzie Smith, but I'd rather go to someplace that is more where the locals go...

Any suggestions?

Bill-Chicago
01-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Never been to their Q joints, and its the weekend, so I want you to get some answers.

Dont know if our STL guys are on in the weekend N T Hole for one, and Greg is not on this weekend.

So if I may be so bold,,,,,,

Super Smokers is pretty good, from what I have heard. I have tried their sauces (from Neil and Greg) and I know they are good.

There is also Bandana's, which I believe some like, and Greg has had both good and bad from there, so it might be a hit miss issue.

Hope this helps Ron

Bill-Chicago
01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
http://www.bandanasbbq.com/

http://www.supersmokers.com/

do a yellow pages search to see if these will do.

1 bandana hit and 3 super smoker hits in the on line yellow pages

Ron_L
01-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks! I had found both web sites, but without a recommendation, its hard to pick someplace. Based on the web site, i probably would pick Bandana's... The Maryland Heights location looks to be just a few minutes away...

I don't have ot make up my mind until Monday after noon when I get down there, so the STL boys have time to respond as well...

Bill-Chicago
01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Greg is from Morris IL, and has taste, compared to the MoFo's (LOL) but he is currently out of the country.

There is NtHole, Mark, Shock, DaveWey, and like 6 others that can comment, but might not see this till work Monday

jt
01-31-2005, 07:02 AM
I've eaten at the Bandanas in Columbia and it's good. Can't help anymore than that.

parrothead
01-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Bandana's will do. Make sure you try the deep fried corn on the cob. It is on Dorsett, about a block east of 270 If I were there this week I would take ya there.

Bigdog
01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Bandana's will do. Make sure you try the deep fried corn on the cob. It is on Dorsett, about a block east of 270 If I were there this week I would take ya there.

Deep fried corn on the cob? That sounds good. Must try it some time.

Ron_L
01-31-2005, 08:03 PM
As it turned out, Bandana's on Dorsett is almost walking distance from my hotel! How convenient... Also as it turned out, the dinner plans fell apart, so I was able to go there by myself, which means I can eat anything I want! I forgot about the deep fried corn, however... Maybe next time... I did have a combo plate of pork, brisket and ribs with beans and slaw, and a nice cold beer to wash it down. Everything was very good! I tried some of their hot sauce on the pork and some spicy on the brisket, but the ribs were great without sauce.

Funny side note... the company I work for has a sales guy who lives in the area, and I ran the suggestion of Bandana's by him to see if he'd been there. He told me that he wouldn't recommend it because "they don't even cook the meat in the sauce". His suggestion for the best Q in St. Louis was Smokey Bones... Sigh...

I bought some hot sauce and spicy sauce and some rib rub to take home...

racer_81
01-31-2005, 08:25 PM
[quote="Ron_L"]As it turned out, Bandana's on Dorsett is almost walking distance from my hotel! How convenient... Also as it turned out, the dinner plans fell apart, so I was able to go there by myself, which means I can eat anything I want! I forgot about the deep fried corn, however... Maybe next time...
quote]

Next time? Next Time?

It's only 8:30 man! And it's walking distance!!!

Waddle back on over there for some deep fried corn!!!!!!

The_Kapn
01-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Funny side note... the company I work for has a sales guy who lives in the area, and I ran the suggestion of Bandana's by him to see if he'd been there. He told me that he wouldn't recommend it because "they don't even cook the meat in the sauce". His suggestion for the best Q in St. Louis was Smokey Bones... Sigh...
Sad, but true.
Since I got involved with "Quality Que" and have started competing, I have heard the following questions--OVER and OVER and OVER :cry:

1. "What is your secret sauce"?
The Public thinks the sauce is the BBQ.

2. "What is your specialty (meat)"?
DUH--in competetion, it is all four meats and we need to "specialize" in all four to be successful!

3. "How long do you boil your ribs"?
"Bout a week"--Won't even dignify that one with a reply!

4. "How long do you soak your wood"?
See #3 for my reply.

5. "There is no smoke from your BBQ. Did the fire go out"?
Short class on "clear blue" follows. That discussion is really kinda fun and some good discussions sometimes follow.

All of this tells me that I can open a restaurant and sell "sauced up, undercooked, creosoted meat" and do just fine.
May even have eaten in one or two of those :lol:

DF and I have not scored yet with the "Peoples Choice" catagory, but- believe me- we sauce the hell out of it and may add more sauce in the future :lol:

"Public Que" is not "Real Que" as we know it can be!

Thanks, Brothers

TIM

Mark
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
What Tim said; and add an amen!

Ron: I live in St. Peters; a few miles west of where you'll be. Sad but true, I can't really recommend any local que joints. Assuming your company is picking up the tab.; getting a good steak seems like a winner.

Too bad by reply is too late to be of any use, huh?