PDA

View Full Version : WSM vs. pellet pooper

Billthedrill
04-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I am really wanting to buy a WSM, just cuz.

If I need a reason it would be that the WSM gives more smoke flavor than my pellet pooper, or my lovely bride would just love smoked salmon cooked on the WSM and mothers day is fast approaching.:-D

So my question is, does a WSM really give more smoke flavor than a pellet pooper?

BTW, I think it probably does.

beerguy
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I have both, and my bride DOESNT like the smoke, but does like the way the treager only lightly smokes stuff. The WSM definitely gives a richer smoke flavor, if only because you control how much or many hunks of wood you put in there. To me, they are both pretty much set it and forget it, since the WSM usually dials right into 228-240 degrees. One uses electricity, one doesn't. WSM fuel is available everywhere, pellets are harder to find locally, without paying shipping. I love having both options. My wife even likes the pizza's I fix on the treager. uses the hell out of pellets to get and hold 400-450, but the pizza's are good!

trekmstr
04-27-2011, 06:54 PM
one reason for less smoke flavor on the pellet smokers is the size of the pellets. they are small so they don't burn long enough to produce the smoke you get off of wood chunks. kinda the same difference between using wood chips and chunks. if you had enough pellets burning at one time you could get more smoke but there is a relatively small amount of pellets burning at one time.

Hub
04-28-2011, 08:18 AM
A WSM can be used with lots of chunks or chips to induce a heavy smoke flavor, if that's what you want to do. Often, this is referred to as "white smoke" and it'll make your food a bit bitter if you overdo it (be careful). Pellets burn cleanly and produce "blue smoke" just like a well tuned stick burner.

If you just want to buy a WSM because you want one, go ahead and buy it. They're a good smoker if properly used and a source of heavy smoke by stoking with lots of wood. I don't recommend trying to "white smoke" anything in a pellet cooker although it can be done with some gadgets.

QDoc
04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes!

getyourrubonbbq
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I had a pellet smoker for a few weeks and didn't get the results I liked to have. I recently purchased a WSM 22 and am glad I did. Doesn't take a lot of wood so you could get by on 3-4 fist size chunks for a cook or add more as you go for more flavor.

AZScott
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Would your wife let you buy it just because you want it?

JD McGee
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM
So my question is, does a WSM really give more smoke flavor than a pellet pooper?

In a word...yes!

KnucklHed BBQ
04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
ITs not just more smoke flavor, its a completely different smoke flavor, pellets have a very distinct flavor that is unique to pellets alone, its not a bad flavor, just very different from wood & charcoal.

I'd say you need BOTH!!! :becky:

snakyjake
06-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Did you ever get the WSM and have a comparison?

I have a WSM, no pellet, and I've been amazed by the smoke flavor. I've been looking at the pellet for convenience reasons; setting and forgetting. But, I'm not willing to sacrifice the smoke flavor that I get from WSM, which is the entire reason why I smoke.

Jake

Bone In
06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
For more smoke on a pellet you can make wood chip pounches or add a smoke daddy.. Just options

Frank Grimes
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a WSM and love it, but haven't had food off a pellet smoker to compare.

The_Kapn
06-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Both cookers work fine when you learn how to use them.
That's the "pitmaster" thingie folks like to talk about.
This was a FEC brisket last week.
Tons of smoke flavor.
A little dry (my fault) :-D

Good eats from either cooker.

TIM