PDA

View Full Version : The wife endorses a Santa Maria pit in the backyard...

martyleach
04-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Dang, am I a salesman or what? I convinced my wife that a firepit in the backyard would be a fun and decorative addition to our house. She liked the vision of having friends over and sitting around the fire........

Then, I made a few additions (thanks to Groundhog66), so that it will now be a firepit that is actually a Santa Maria style grill. I just can't wait. Woot! Woot!

SmokinAussie
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Ooohhhh yesss... That's gonna be awesome Marty!

SHow us the progress once you get started. I'm sure it wont take you long!

Cheers!

Bill

martyleach
04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Ooohhhh yesss... That's gonna be awesome Marty!

SHow us the progress once you get started. I'm sure it wont take you long!

Cheers!

Bill

I'm so excited. I can't wait to get this going. I'm almost sorry we are going to Kauai Thursday.......

kevine
04-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, congrats. Let's see some pics of the process. I'd love to be able to sell my wife on that idea.

martyleach
04-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Wow, congrats. Let's see some pics of the process. I'd love to be able to sell my wife on that idea.

Well, my wife wants it to look decorative, so I think it should look nice. All I care about is the cooker.....

landarc
04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Show me the plans! brick or concrete block and veneer stone? What kind of grate and adjustment are you planning? A Grillery (http://www.grillery.com/) is decorative.

LT72884
04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
i would love to have one of these in me back yard. can a rotiss be added to it?

thanks

martyleach
04-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Show me the plans! brick or concrete block and veneer stone? What kind of grate and adjustment are you planning? A Grillery (http://www.grillery.com/) is decorative.

Jeez Bob! No plans yet, I was just after a buy in! This will be similar, somewhat to Tim's(groundhog66) and will be about a foot in the ground. I will need to pour a concrete (maybe 10 X 10) pad off the edge of my deck. I'm thinking maybe veneer stone or brick but really looking for ideas right now.
Got any??

But definitely not a Grillery! I didn't put all my money in gold, you know.

Marty

Phrasty
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Marty... On behalf of husbands across the board... CONGRATS. I have taken notes on how you initally addressed the situation. "Hun, wouldn't a fire pit be awesome for you and your girlfriends to hangout around and just sip wine all night...? Well I mean, I CAN just add a cooking grate to the top right?" :heh:

Good job bruv! Congrats! Always have loved the look of cut stone (veneer or not) thats my 2¢ :thumb:

Cheers

landarc
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Well, designing attractive backyard accessories is sort of what I do, actually, I spend other people's money, that is what I really do best,

martyleach
04-27-2011, 12:36 AM
I wish I could find a way to spend other people's money. Lord knows, I'm very proficient at spending my own...

R2Egg2Q
04-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Woo hoo! :icon_clown:clap::clap2: The next best thing to having a Santa Maria pit in my yard is having one in your yard! If you ask my wife it is better in your yard. :heh: If you need an additional manual laborer let me know as I'd be happy to help in exchange for future cooking privileges on your pit. :razz:

LT72884
04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Well, designing attractive backyard accessories is sort of what I do, actually, I spend other people's money, that is what I really do best,

Funny ole world aint it! haha

I like to spend other peoples money to, Especially when i reap the rewards! i think theres a name for that type of person! haha

cowgirl
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
That's great news Marty! Lookin' forward to seeing pics!!

martyleach
04-27-2011, 12:55 AM
That's great news Marty! Lookin' forward to seeing pics!!

Me too!!

Groundhog66
04-27-2011, 01:00 AM
I can already tell it's gonna be far too fancy...:wink:

big brother smoke
04-27-2011, 01:01 AM
You my friend are going to love that cooker! You may as well go for the pizza cooker too while it is good! You know romantic dinner in Hawaii ,candle light, boat ride, etc...:twisted::-P

martyleach
04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
You my friend are going to love that cooker! You may as well go for the pizza cooker too while it is good! You know romantic dinner in Hawaii ,candle light, boat ride, etc...:twisted::-P

She has already said to me, "So, I like the idea of a firepit, but all you can think about is cooking meat". I have to be careful, here...

big brother smoke
04-27-2011, 02:02 AM
She has already said to me, "So, I like the idea of a firepit, but all you can think about is cooking meat". I have to be careful, here...

Gotcha... you may go in peace!:rolleyes::-P:-P:-P

martyleach
04-27-2011, 02:26 AM
I can already tell it's gonna be far too fancy...:wink:

So long as I get the grill, she can do what she wants.....

jaymo
04-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I showed my wife a fire-pit photo on here this last week and she thought it'd be a great idea for our yard as well!

We were talking a little about design for something like this. Out of curiousity, if it is sunk a foot below ground level, how do you deal with drainage when it rains? (Not to mention snow here in Wisconsin. . . I'm guessing you don't have that issue though. :-P )

Black Dog BBQ
04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm considering something like this, keep us posted Marty. I've seen the craftsmanship on your other projects so I know it will be awesome.

Groundhog66
04-27-2011, 09:40 AM
So long as I get the grill, she can do what she wants.....

Get your bricks, and start building it today. Once that part is done, there's no turning back.

Big Bears BBQ
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Hope it turns out great waiting for pics...........

BBQ PD
04-27-2011, 10:43 AM
This guy builds these down in San Luis Obispo. Talk about a thing of beauty.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/shredrow/193232_106843929398804_100002195919018_67155_42732 35_o.jpg

gtr
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
^^^now that's just farkin' sweet :thumb:

...looking forward to seeing the progress of the build - I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Groundhog66
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
That is pretty cool indeed, but it looks more like a well than a pit :heh:

BBQ PD
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
One thing I didn't mention is that the grates operate independently of each other from the same wheel. If only I had some spare cash hanging around, I might be able to find a new home for that baby :becky:.

harripooner
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Just slap a few doillies on it and she'll be happy, or maybe a nice tile mosaic of pigs cooking another pig, if you want to get real classy

landarc
04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
That is a nice pit Dave, when I was down in the Santa Maria area, I cooked on a couple of different round pits like that, it may look like a well, but, there are a lot of round pits in that area that work great.

I think Marty needs a nice pit, with concrete block and a used brick overlay, use a precast concrete ledge on top. Maybe even go 18" width to allow for seating or resting mugs of hot chocolate on. There should be a gate from John's yard into Marty's yard. We can use weeps into gravel bags subgrade to achieve drainage. It would make the best pit to line with fire bricks or refractory cement, we can get both in Dublin. I would suggest using river flag from Johnson Brothers in San Ramon, but, that is pricey.

LT, the name for someone who spends other people's money while doing nothing more than providing a written out plan is 'consultant'. I suggest you look into the word. It has served me well.

NorcalBBQer
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Screw the proper word, I want to see Marty's sales pitch verbatim. I can see it now, spatchcocked chicked followed by some scotch and cigars around the pit! Congrats Marty.

martyleach
04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
That is a nice pit Dave, when I was down in the Santa Maria area, I cooked on a couple of different round pits like that, it may look like a well, but, there are a lot of round pits in that area that work great.

I think Marty needs a nice pit, with concrete block and a used brick overlay, use a precast concrete ledge on top. Maybe even go 18" width to allow for seating or resting mugs of hot chocolate on. There should be a gate from John's yard into Marty's yard. We can use weeps into gravel bags subgrade to achieve drainage. It would make the best pit to line with fire bricks or refractory cement, we can get both in Dublin. I would suggest using river flag from Johnson Brothers in San Ramon, but, that is pricey.

LT, the name for someone who spends other people's money while doing nothing more than providing a written out plan is 'consultant'. I suggest you look into the word. It has served me well.

those are some great ideas and something for me start mulling over in my head. Thanks Bob!

Midnight Smoke
04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Looking forward to the build!

Igotgas
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Wow Marty congrats! I am definitely looking forward to build pron :-D

Mister Bob
04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
These grates came with the kit when I bought the blocks for this pit. They slide over and also tilt up. I've been thinking about building a Santa Maria style adjustable grate that I could roll in place when I want to use it and roll it away for social fires.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac150/Bobsarno/FirePit2.jpg

martyleach
04-27-2011, 07:49 PM
So here are the beginning pictures. I can tell this is going to be a "project" since it is going to involve hardscape.

My vision is to step off my deck and have some stone steps lure you over to another area that has seating and a fire pit. Here is the area I'm going to put it. Call this: Before
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/martyleach/Backyard%20pics/pitlocation2.jpg

landarc
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
That is going to be a nice setting. Flagstone keeps popping into my head. And now, I am thinking the outside of the pit should be textured concrete. Or perhaps the river flag veneer stone.

BBQ PD
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
That is going to be a nice setting. Flagstone keeps popping into my head. And now, I am thinking the outside of the pit should be textured concrete. Or perhaps the river flag veneer stone.
This is going to be fun watching you spend Marty's money :becky:.

martyleach
04-27-2011, 08:23 PM
This is going to be fun watching you spend Marty's money :becky:.

I was going to spend it anyway, so may as well let Bob just aim me.....

R2Egg2Q
04-28-2011, 12:48 AM
There should be a gate from John's yard into Marty's yard.

Nice thought Bob but Marty & I don't share a fence and the neighbor in common between us probably wouldn't like us walking through his yard.:-D

Some nice looking pits in the pics being posted here!

h20loo
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
while we are spending Martys money- I would put a waterfall coming down the hill to a pond with a nice stone fire pit in front of it.

deguerre
04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
those are some great ideas and something for me start mulling over in my head. Thanks Bob!

Bob's invoice is in the mail I heard...:becky:

Inspirational Marty! Actually, Redhot's been bugging me about a fire-pit for quite some time but she's been thinking about those pre-made steel jobs for the patio. Once I get my yard sorted out...

SmokinAussie
04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Marty... such a lovely yard!

That pit, what ever you come up with will be awesome!

Cheers!

Bill

Big George's BBQ
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
CVongrats Looking forward to the Pics :clap2:

landarc
04-28-2011, 01:27 PM
I am not gonna charge Marty for my advice, but, I have always wanted a Boos block cutting board.

martyleach
04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I am not gonna charge Marty for my advice, but, I have always wanted a Boos block cutting board.

What kind of wood and what size? How thick would you like it? Do you need a channel for juice?

OakPit
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a nice project Marty - Keep us posted!

PSchack
05-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks for posting my BBQ for Marty to consider. Here are a few more pictures. Enjoy.

This is a shot of the install. The fire pit existed. I made the grill to fit. The knob in the center of the hand wheel is the grill selector. Each grill moves independently. The grills are 25" across the flats and the total height is 39".

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/finaltouches.jpg

This is in the shop. It shows how the grill sections are removed for cleaning.

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/centerinsert.jpg

Here is a good shot of the hand wheel. This is the owner getting our grubby finger prints off of the stainless.

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/proudowner.jpg

This is the first fire. We cooked some chicken and sausage for a few people that came over. We started drinking beer after the install so the picture taking took a back seat.

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/firstfire.jpg

This is the lift mechanism that is inside the top tube of the frame. The lift is all internal and completely silent. There are no detents or chains to stop the grills from falling. It is all done with the mechanical advantage of the acme thread pitch. The second picture is the drive end of the lift.

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/lift.jpg

http://www.suspensionconcepts.com/bbq/drive.jpg

I will be building a free standing fire block lined pit. Since there are some regions that do not allow wood fires I am working on set up that will allow you to use charcoal or gas. So that's it for the bbq for now. Hope your build turns out good for you Marty.

Best regards,

Phil