PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal chimney sale

el_matt
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Just went to our local Raley's grocery store, and something was calling me to the 'Seasonal' aisle. When I arrived, I realized the sound I heard was falling prices! They had their charcoal chimneys on sale for $5.59! Needless to say, I grabbed two of them.

They're just a standard chimney, 11" tall, 6 1/2" diameter, 7 1/4" deep. Black powder coat, and a wood handle. I made a couple of small mods; small wood screw through the metal, into the wooden handle, and an insert for the bottom, made out of expanded metal.

The screws guarantee the handle will never pull away from the metal. The expanded holds small bits of lump, that would otherwise fall through. The mods aren't necessary, but, if you can modify something, why not do it?

Hope this helps some Brethren out.

Matt

martyleach
04-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I will check it out at our local Raley's. Mine is falling apart and rusting through....

martyleach
04-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Thanks! I just went to Raley's here in Pleasanton. All their BBQ stuff is 30% off so I picked up a stainless grilling wok(which I will use as a heat diffuser for my UDS), a stainless sauce pan and a chimney. Got out of the store for 21 bucks. I'm happy!

el_matt
04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice score! They didn't have any SS stuff at our Raley's. Let me know how that diffuser works. I made one, but it's aluminium and a tad bit small, so I haven't even bothered trying it.

Matt