PDA

View Full Version : Wood questions

deadeye531
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Hey guys need some help. I usually buy the mini logs at academy and split them up. But I was given some hickory trees and cherry trees that are down and can cut on anytime I want. Well I went to cut some rounds off both and have split some. What a work out. But there was also some smaller sections and I was wondering how do you de bark them? I have heard the bark adds dirty smoke to the fire. Or do you just leave it? Some of the smaller sections are both hickory and cherry and I could easily cut them into slices but they are only about 3" across. Also gonna throw this out anyone wanna do some wood swap?

dannytp
04-21-2011, 11:13 PM
I've never had a reason to debark any wood that I've used. The only thing that might give me pause would be if the bark was moldy. Otherwise I'd say you're good to go as is.

Big_Alvin
04-21-2011, 11:43 PM
i buy my wood chunks in bags from the hardware store and some have had bark which i have tossed in the firebox, no issues that i've noticed. i wish i had some hickory tree's in my neck of the wood. i may try apple as i can get my hands on that here in Mass.

Brewer
04-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Take a look at this article about "debunking de-barking" by Rick Naug - he's a BBQ legend and has some of the choicest wood that I've ever seen. I picked up some cherry last week that literally smelled like a lollypop when freshly split. It was incredible.

http://www.applecreektimberinc.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=643

CarolinaQue
04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I agree with leaving the bark on. Only reason I've ever debarked is because of mold. If you have a clean burning fire and know how to control it for a constant temp, the bark will burn just as clean as the wood itself. The key that I have found was to keep enough air feeding the fire box to keep a flame on the wood so it burns and not smolder.

orangeblood
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
debarking is bbq hocus pocus....you know, the stuff about secrets and tricks to good bbq as opposed to just learning the craft.

my $0.02

RAZORBACK JIM
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
That's some good info!!!!

Jim

Wampus
04-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Great link Brewer!

I don't de-bark either. Unless there's moss or mildew, but since I split and chunk my wood and then store it in the garage, I don't have that problem.

I've never had a problem. Started as laziness.....ended up being fine!:becky::thumb:

AndyDuncan
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Never had a problem with bark on. I do, however, put the splits on pre-heated and bark side up as the bark doesn't light as easily. Maybe that's the source of the myth: someone added bark heavy wood to a not hot enough fire and it smoldered.

Juggy D Beerman
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I have two big offsets that I use as well as a two WSMs. The wood I use is mainly cherry. First of all, I will state this. The best smoke flavor from the wood comes from the heart wood. The outer and inner bark of the wood is more harsh than the heartwood. This is the reason I generally do not burn logs less than three inches in diameter. Logs smaller than this contain more outer and inner bark than they do heartwood.

With all due respect to Rick Naug, I feel there are exceptions to his experiment. There are times that warrant debarking wood. One has been mentioned and that is when the bark contains mold. The other exception is when the wood is rather aged. If the bark comes off easily, go ahead and take it off as it will make a difference in taste. If the bark is in good shape and is not easily removed, then leave it be.

In the case of hickory, there is this to consider. Green or unseasoned hickory can be bitter at times. This is due to the fact that the green bark contains a lot of tannins which can make the meat taste bitter. This can be fixed by removing the bark or letting the wood cure longer.

Lager,

Juggy

blues_n_cues
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I've never had a reason to debark any wood that I've used. The only thing that might give me pause would be if the bark was moldy. Otherwise I'd say you're good to go as is.

+1

i also use pistaccio,pecan,&hickory nut hulls for smoke when i'm feeling lazy.
i just got pick them up off of the ground when they fall. it sure beats the chainsaw.:thumb:

Puppyboy
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I cut a lot of cherry and pecan (which is in the hickory family).

I leave the bark on unless it falls off while splitting.

ChicagoSizzlin
04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
I am picking up some apple wood over the weekend. Its being left outside and has been raining all week out here. I will be storing it in the garage in a basket but how long until I can use it?

Soybomb
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I am picking up some apple wood over the weekend. Its being left outside and has been raining all week out here. I will be storing it in the garage in a basket but how long until I can use it?
I'd use it now. I've been using green apple wood with no problem, it can't have soaked up more than my green wood.

ChicagoSizzlin
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd use it now. I've been using green apple wood with no problem, it can't have soaked up more than my green wood.

So no need to dry it out then?

Dave Russell
04-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking that local wood with the bark still on is pretty much a GOOD thing.

I think I've learned recently that wood that's TOO seasoned just doesn't have the flavor that fresher wood has. I'm not suggesting using green wood, especially pecan or anything green on a stickburner. I just think that fresher fruitwood (apple, peach, cherry) might have more flavor than stuff that's been sitting around long enough to get really dry and have no bark left on it. (I guess I should've offered to cut the neighbor's apple tree first sign it was dying instead of letting it season "on the stump".)

I'm sure this is the same with the hickory and oak splits and chunks you buy retail. Much of it is very dry and bark already gone...not as much flavor as wood you get locally and season six months or so. A friend last year was smoking butts with white oak/hickory mix he'd cut and I tasted some...AWESOME, and I don't think I've replicated that flavor yet even though I've even tried his rub recipe.

Is all this in my head, or on my tastebuds?

deadeye531
04-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Well Glad to know I dont have to break my back trying to use the maul to split the park off it all. There isnt any thats molded but there is some moss on what was the northern side but thats all. Guess I need to go cut more of it up. Only cut about an 1/8th of one log and have 3 to go.

ZILLA
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Take a look at this article about "debunking de-barking" by Rick Naug - he's a BBQ legend and has some of the choicest wood that I've ever seen. I picked up some cherry last week that literally smelled like a lollypop when freshly split. It was incredible.

http://www.applecreektimberinc.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=643

This article is a bit off base as BBQ cooked in an offset pit is not the same as meat baked in a pizza oven. If the argument here is supposed to stand up in all BBQ cookers then his opinion is incorrect. Wood with no bark gives superior results all day long in an offset pit. Once the coal bed of bark was established the unwanted smoke was already gone. Go ahead and smoke the meat in an offset with 100% bark and let us know how it tastes. BBQ smoked in 100% heartwood with no bark will give the results everyone is after.

Brewer
04-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Getting back to the question - is debarking worth the time and energy? We all know heartwood will give good results - but is there enough of a negative impact to using wood with bark to spend the time and energy debarking it. IMHO no. I'll use heartwood without bark when I have it and heartwood with bark just the same.

ZILLA
04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
The article does not adress the original question either. I agree that cutting the bark off is not worth the effort in most cases. However the greener the wood the more the bark plays a role in white smoke flavor on the meat and should be avoided. This is all my personal opinion and taste though. To each his own!

Brewer
04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
That's something I hadn't thought about... Good point - green bark may differ in it's impact vs. dry or seasoned bark.