PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Big Apple BBQ Block Party - vendor line up

MilitantSquatter
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
For those interested, the 2011 vendor line up has been released

http://www.bigapplebbq.org/
KENNY CALLAGHAN, Blue Smoke (NYC)
JOE DUNCAN, Baker's Ribs (Dallas, TX)
MIKE EMERSON, Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis, MO)
JIMMY HAGOOD, BlackJack Barbecue (Charleston, SC)
TOMMY HOUSTON, Checkered Pig (Danville, VA)
CHARLES GRUND Jr, Hill Country (NYC)
CHRIS LILLY, Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q (Decatur, AL)
PATRICK MARTIN, Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint (Nashville, TN)

MIKE MILLS, 17th Street Bar & Grill (Murphysboro, IL)
ED MITCHELL (Raleigh, NC)
MYRON MIXON, Jack's Old South (Unadilla, GA)
GARRY ROARK, Ubon's Barbeque of Yazoo (Yazoo, MS)
DREW ROBINSON, Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q (Birmingham, AL)
MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ, Salt Lick Bar-B-Q (Driftwood, TX)
JOHN STAGE, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que (NYC)
JOHN WHEELER, Rack & Soul (NYC)

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Dont forget about the world famous award winning Smoke N' Barrel

MilitantSquatter
04-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Dont forget about the world famous award winning Smoke N' Barrel

Do you recommend the Fast Pass ? :wink:

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 10:49 PM

No, but i do recommend driving past the event really fast :becky:

Big_Alvin
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM

i was just wondering about the fast pass. it looks like you get $100 back in the form of vouchers to spend on food and merchandise so for the $25 you get easy access to the food vendors and other stuff. also, it allows you and a guest so you'd only have to get one. did i read this correctly?

MilitantSquatter
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
i was just wondering about the fast pass. it looks like you get $100 back in the form of vouchers to spend on food and merchandise so for the $25 you get easy access to the food vendors and other stuff. also, it allows you and a guest so you'd only have to get one. did i read this correctly?

basically... yes..

They are now charging a 20% premium ($25) for the "fast line" ... however, with more people buying the pass, over time the standard line will be quicker :wink:

If you've not been there before.. be aware that the place is a mob scene packed with urban NY'ers that are at the event as it's the cool place to be.

Get on line early.. bring multiple people to get on different lines and then meet up... or better yet just browse, skip the lines and just head up the block to RUB BBQ or Hill Country.

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Vinnys right, divide and conquer. Ed Mitchell was my favorite the last time I was there.

Muzzlebrake
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Vinny,

are you going to be there helping the Smoothest Man in BBQ?

Big_Alvin
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
i just saw it not sure about taking the trip or not. there's a local one here in boston, the phantom gourmet bbq fest or something to that effect coming up, i may have to stay local. if its anything like you described its not my cup of tea. not into the crowds anymore. I've never been to a bbq festival and want to check some out so i can get a feel for comp's so i can jump into the mix.

MilitantSquatter
04-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Vinny,

are you going to be there helping the Smoothest Man in BBQ?

Cooking w/ him at the Kingsford NYC event and this event was a blast and picked up a few tips (like the "real" pork injection recipe :wink:) but decided to pass on working for free when others made $$..

Sledneck
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
i just saw it not sure about taking the trip or not. there's a local one here in boston, the phantom gourmet bbq fest or something to that effect coming up, i may have to stay local. if its anything like you described its not my cup of tea. not into the crowds anymore. I've never been to a bbq festival and want to check some out so i can get a feel for comp's so i can jump into the mix.

Its nothing remotely like a comp, go to the troy pig out in july, thats closer to you for a feel of a real contest as well as a bunch of good vendors

eggzlot
04-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I've went to the event every year. Only the last 1-2 years did they start to charge a premium for the Fast Pass. Personally, I still get one, and even last year, I was never waiting on any line for more than 5 minutes. I know several friends who did not get passes who wound up leaving because waiting on the general admission lines took over 20-30 minutes for some vendors.

They charge an extra $20/$25 for the fast pass, I forget. Like it was mentioned, 2 people can go into the fast pass area to get food, but in years past, you arent limited to the amount of food you can buy. So if each person can balance 3-4 plates, you can buy 6-8 plates of food using the fast pass. And once you run out of money on the pass, in years past they let you pay in cash.

So basically I get a group of people together, and usually split passes amongst every 4-6 people in the group. So that extra "premium" cost works out to about $5/person, which is very my worth it in my opinion.

And I agree, I always look forward to Ed Mitchell and The Pit, and this year is no different.

See you all there.

Anchors Smokeshop
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Will any brethren be attending this event this weekend?
Clint (Smoke In Da Eye) is having a grilling contest against Myron Mixon.
Should be a great weekend in NYC!

eggzlot
06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I'll be going on Sunday.

What sort of competition is Clint having vs Myron? and when is it?

Like previous posts said, I've went every year, and I really enjoy going. I just hope it is not 100 degrees!

Anchors Smokeshop
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I'll be going on Sunday.

What sort of competition is Clint having vs Myron? and when is it?

Like previous posts said, I've went every year, and I really enjoy going. I just hope it is not 100 degrees!

Not too sure about all of the details of the grilling contest, but I know that it is on Saturday at 3:00 PM at the KCBS BBQ Tour trailer.
Good news is, it's only supposed to be in the high 70's/ low 80's this weekend, so we won't die of heat stroke.

SmokeInDaEye
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Not too sure about all of the details of the grilling contest, but I know that it is on Saturday at 3:00 PM at the KCBS BBQ Tour trailer.
Good news is, it's only supposed to be in the high 70's/ low 80's this weekend, so we won't die of heat stroke.

That is correct. 3pm on Saturday at the KCBS tour trailer located on the southwest corner of the park. Me and myron grilling against one another head-to-head. I'll most likely come out for a bit on Friday as well before things get crazy.

huckjr
06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
We'll be doing a twitter giveaway at this event as well!!! See ya there SIDE!!!

SmokeInDaEye
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
We'll be doing a twitter giveaway at this event as well!!! See ya there SIDE!!!

I'll keep an eye out for you and your fancy new Hucks Hut shirt!

SmokeInDaEye
06-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Who's the king of the grill???? Thanks to the judges for helping me kill the winningest man in bbq.

PatioDaddio
06-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Woo hoo! I have no idea what went down, but congrats Clint!

John

bam
06-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Who's the king of the grill???? Thanks to the judges for helping me kill the winningest man in bbq.

You are. :clap2: What did you cook?

Dr_KY
06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Dayym Clint way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!