PDA

View Full Version : BSKD is finished...

SmokeDiddy
04-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Well my BBQ Brethren, I have attempted my last cook om my BSKD. After all the mods and multiple attempts, I still cannot get the thing to temp at 225 degrees. As a matter of fact, I can't even get the temp to 200 degrees. This is after two full Weber Chimney's full of pre-lit Kingsford, and two hand fulls of lump the best I can do is mid 150 for just a few minutes. It is probably me; nevertheless, I am tired of the stress this thing puts me through. So, I am finished with the BSKD. It goes up for sale on Monday. To finish the cook I started today, I will use my MasterBuilt Electric Smoker. Tomorrow, I plan to stop by Lowes and pick up a Weber Kettle, then add a Smokenator later next week.

thillin
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Test the thermo?

SmokeDiddy
04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I have 2 therms, one digital, I drop down the stack, the second is a calibrated dial thermameter thru the door.

LMAJ
04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I had the same question as Ty - have you calibrated the thermos using the boiling water or ice water tests?
Do you need more fuel?

SmokeDiddy
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I just calibrated my door therm to +/- 2 degrees, the digital therm has always been accurate that I know of.

LMAJ
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
I just calibrated my door therm to +/- 2 degrees, the digital therm has always been accurate that I know of.
I'd check that one too - hate to dee you get rid of a perfectly good cooker because a thermo was off. It happens.

Dave Russell
04-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Man, ditching that smoker for a kettle and a Smokinator....you SURE about that????!!! The kettle's are great, but somewhere along the line it sounds like you're making this all too complicated.

If I lived closer I'd take it off your hands, but I will offer free advice concerning bbq on the kettle. Skip the Smokinator and use a water pan actually large enough to hold some water (loaf pan) on the rack over the coals if you want to... add a couple of fire bricks in the middle..whatever makes you feel good......IF you can't accept the simplicity of just pouring some lit charcoal over a pile of unlit on one side of the grate with ribs in a rack on the other side. Low-n-slow on a Weber kettle is a piece of cake if your kettle is in good shape (lid not dropped too many times and the dampers seal)...but I wouldn't get rid of that BSKD. I wouldn't expect it to do long unattended burns like my wsm, but I'd use it just the same. I've heard too many good things about 'em. You starting off with hot water in the pan?

NorthwestBBQ
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Got Pics?

thillin
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I know with an egg, if there is not enough lump loaded, no mater the fire size, temps wont get real high.

Clean all the ash out? Not sure about the internals of a Keg, but I'd pull everything out, clean and start over.

SmokeDiddy
04-16-2011, 08:42 PM
All right....the one variable I haven't mentioned is the wind. The temp today in SC, USA was about 72 degrees, but the wind was VERY gusty all day. I suppose a high wind may affect the smoker temps. I also affected my Masterbuilt Elect because I could only get the temp to about 205. So, I will most likely take the advice from my fellow brethrens to keep my BSKD for now.

I was able to save my cook in my conventional oven. I wrapped all in aluminum foil and cooked another hour to 1.5 hours and let it sit. All was very good.

Thank you brothers for your responses. I am off all week this week, so I feel another cook is in store so I can have a little redemption.

Dave Russell
04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Glad it turned out for ya, and yeah, the wind is the enemy, especially for non-insulated smokers like most of us use....and it's been brutal lately. I guess it'll give us something to appreciate come the dog days of summer. :-D

cookingdude555
04-17-2011, 02:49 AM
I fear your woes could extend to the kettle as well. Athough my kettle, eggs, and bubba are very different cookers, the pricinples of charcoal cooking are similar on each. I would invest more time before jumping ship for a kettle. I have to think your vents are choked down too much. It doesn't seem right that two lit chimneys only gets you to 200. had my performer past 600 today with less, and if I had that much lit in my bubba, it would take off like a rocket. Gotta be the thermo, vent adjustment, or bad fuel.

Don't give up, you've got a good cooker there.

Sammy_Shuford
04-17-2011, 03:22 AM
What part of South Carolina? I had those winds to also.