PDA

View Full Version : Fire Went Out, temp dropped

StocktonQ
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Hello Brethren
I'm a long time lurker first time poster (i've followed your UDS Bible thread which is why I made my own, well sorta made my own).

On to the emergency at hand.
I was doing 2 pork butts overnight for a get together today and ended up following asleep for a couple of hours (the meat had been cooking for 7hrs at that point and was just in that nice sticking point of 160-170)
When I last checked the UDS thermometer and the probe my temps were 235 degrees UDS and 168 Probe.
I woke up to my UDS temp at maybe 175 and my meat temps at approx 155.

My big question, is the meat still safe or should I throw it out and make ribs?
Thanks ahead of time guys.

Bigdog
04-16-2011, 11:38 AM
No problem. Either light another chimney to get your temps up or just wrap them in foil and throw them in the oven to finish. Your meat will no longer take smoke so don't worry about the oven finish, I've had to do it several times. :redface:

Zing
04-16-2011, 11:39 AM
The danger zone for meat is below 140. You are fine. Just get her fired back up and keep cookin'

NewBBQer
04-16-2011, 11:39 AM
No problem. Either light another chimney to get your temps up or just wrap them in foil and throw them in the oven to finish. Your meat will no longer take smoke so don't worry about the oven finish, I've had to do it several times. :redface:

Been there done that what he said!

when you wake up and realize you run out to your smoker like your house is on fire!

:thumb:

Gore
04-16-2011, 11:49 AM
If you lived in Maryland, your meat would be unsafe, and I would volunteer to pick it up and dispose of it for you, but since you're talking California meat, it is perfectly safe.

Even if the temp plummeted I wouldn't worry. You've got a pretty closed system that has been heat-sterilized. It is more difficult to introduce baddies to make it taste "off," which is the main worry. Since you're going to be bringing that back up to temp, you'd be killing off any bacteria that might have been introduced, so nobody will get sick. If it went really "cold" for an really extended period, I'd be more concerned, but the temp in the smoker was alway high, so absolutely no worries at all. Just might be a little drier and tougher than you like.

StocktonQ
04-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm back to cooking, temp in the small butt has reached 182 degrees so I think I'm going to be alright.
On a side note, the UDS is amazing. I have retired my GOSM because of it.
Thanks again guys.
StocktonQ

Hotrodhog
04-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Yup, I've finished in the oven many a time, no shame.

Send Pics!! ... and oh yeah, welcome Neighbor!

bbqbull
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
StocktonQ, please go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself when you have time.

gtr
04-16-2011, 02:14 PM
If you were closer you could take advantage of my pork butt disposal service. I'll come and pick it up, no charge. :laugh:

I have found maple lump to be good in those situations - it lights up fast and burns really farking hot & will get you going while you get your game together to proceed.

Cook
04-16-2011, 03:28 PM

I would whole heartedly agree with everything in the above post...EXCEPT for the part that says, " Your meat will no longer take smoke..."

Do not confuse the smoke ring with smoke flavor. The ring has stopped formation, but smoke flavor is absorbed in a regular cook for as long as smoke is introduced to the product.

As far as your temps go...you're fine. Get it up to pulling temp and enjoy!

Panthers65
04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I would whole heartedly agree with everything in the above post...EXCEPT for the part that says, " Your meat will no longer take smoke..."

Do not confuse the smoke ring with smoke flavor. The ring has stopped formation, but smoke flavor is absorbed in a regular cook for as long as smoke is introduced to the product.

As far as your temps go...you're fine. Get it up to pulling temp and enjoy!

I think he was more referring to the oven option, no smoke in the oven....

Cook
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I think he was more referring to the oven option, no smoke in the oven....

Your meat will no longer take smoke so don't worry about the oven finish

Nope. If he meant what you said, then he typed it wrong.

StocktonQ
04-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Here is the finished product.
Sorry I wasn't able to get any pics post pull (I got to man the grill so my wife did the pulling for the family).
Thanks for the help guys.
Also I'll head over to the Cattle Call later on tonight or tomorrow morning.

StocktonQ