PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Thumb

rattler4675
04-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I am fairly new to smoking and to this forum. I really appreciate all the information shared here. I have been thinking that a neat thread would be one in which various "rules of thumb" could be listed. An example would be - when smoking a particular meat you should allow X hours per pound of meat. Another example would be - to maintain 225 degrees in an UDS you should use X amount of charcoal (fuel) per hour of burn.
I think that everyone knows that conditions vary from cook to cook, but, we would be talking about those standard conditions, found by experience, to be true most of the time.
I know that many of you have found out these things the hard way. I guess I am lazy, but, I would like to minimize my smoking/BBQ mistakes by picking the brains of you more knowledgeable members.
Please post if you have a "rule of thumb" you routinely follow and don't mind sharing.
Thanks,

Bamabuzzard
04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Rule of Thumb #1- Go ahead and buy the smoker then ask for forgiveness. :thumb:

Wampus
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Rule of thumb #2: When cooking poultry I'll always try and allow time to brine. Whole chickens get brined for 5-8 hours and whole turkeys get brined overnight. I'll also allow for "resting time" after pulling from the brine to give the skin a chance to tighten back up. Salt is the main component in any brine. Sugars and other flavorings are nice to play with, but it's the salt that does the trick.

Make this a part of your regular routine for poultry and you will NOT be disappointed!:thumb:

1FUNVET
04-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Rule #3
Try not to burn your thumb.

Marck
Rule of thumb #3....umm.......don't stick ur hed in the smoker whilst lit.... :-D

jestridge
Rule of thum most pork butts will yield 20 good size samwich

jestridge
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Rule of thumb never take what they tell you on a cooking show as gospel

lcbateman3
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Rule of Thumb...its not all about temp, its about tenderness as well.

Rule of Thumb...It's done when it's done.

Rule of Thumb...There is no one way.

bbqbull
04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
I am fairly new to smoking and to this forum. I really appreciate all the information shared here. I have been thinking that a neat thread would be one in which various "rules of thumb" could be listed. An example would be - when smoking a particular meat you should allow X hours per pound of meat. Another example would be - to maintain 225 degrees in an UDS you should use X amount of charcoal (fuel) per hour of burn.
I think that everyone knows that conditions vary from cook to cook, but, we would be talking about those standard conditions, found by experience, to be true most of the time.
I know that many of you have found out these things the hard way. I guess I am lazy, but, I would like to minimize my smoking/BBQ mistakes by picking the brains of you more knowledgeable members.
Please post if you have a "rule of thumb" you routinely follow and don't mind sharing.
Thanks,

Here is a link that covers the basic information on cooking/bbqing.
It is is the top of the Q-Talk forum, KC Quers Roadmap.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818 :thumb:

BBQ Bandit
04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
When cooking multiple kinds of protein (beef, pork, chicken)... when stacking meats on multiple levels... do not place chicken above any other proteins (cross contamination).

Therefore... place chicken by itself or on the bottom rack.

Ground Pounder
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Rule of thumb - heat cooks, smoke flavors.

Rookie'48
04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
If you're lookin' you're not cookin'

If it's open it ain't smokin'

:becky:

Gore
04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Listen to your wife. :thumb:

Boshizzle
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Keep it simple.

bluetang
04-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Rule of thumb: Do not even try to convince your better half why you need to build a 6 ft reverse flow, and then a trailer to move it around.

rattler4675
04-14-2011, 09:38 PM
BBQBULL,
Thanks for the link. I now have it bookmarked. There is great info in those threads, thanks again.

Brauma
04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Rule: If you're lookin you aint cookin.