PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal & Chunks

RyGuy
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm getting ready to do my first cook on my new Backwoods Smoker Chubby. I've done a ton of reading the last couple of weeks, here and elsewhere, and want to thank you folks for your shared wisdom.

My question is about how I load my charcoal basket in the smoker, particularly placing chunks.

I'll start the fire in one corner of what is essentially a square box. I'll have the Guru nearest to that corner. I'll load with Stubbs briquettes and a few chunks of hickory or apple.

My assumption is that this fire will burn/spread in a slow wave to the diagonally opposite corner of the box. Combined with the assumption that I won't want any more smoke from the wood chunks after the first four hours, does that mean I should concentrate the chunks closest to the fire-starting point?

Or should I space them out evenly or randomly in the basket?

Or am I just overthinking the whole thing? :wink:

I just want good smoke penetration and I don't want to waste smoke late in a cook. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Ryan

Johnny_Crunch
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I would start my fire in the middle and place the chunks randomly. That's how I do it in my UDS and it is only getting air from one side as well. Should work fine. 5-6 chunks should do the trick.

Dex
04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
dump in the charcoal, toss on some chunks, and add the hot coals, and shut the door!

My coals went in the bottom right corner... and it was Stubb's FYI

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/ndexter/IMG00073-20110325-1951.jpg

TheMidnightSmoker
04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Not sure why you only want the smoke after the initial 4 hours of the cook. If you have heard that the meat will only take on smoke for that period of time you have heard wrong. The Smoke Ring will only develop up until the meat reaches an internal temp of approximately 140 degrees but the smoke flavoring will continue to cling to the meat for the entire time it is exposed to the smoke. I would spread the wood chunks out accordingly.

Fife
04-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Chunk wood is good