PDA

View Full Version : my neighbor's new low

rocketmanray
04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
No pictures... didn't happen, but it did. And believe me, you don't want to see it.

In short, my neighbor is quite the idiot....

Short ribs in the crock-pot, cooked until falling off the bone. All I could do to keep from gagging as I was served tidbits that were lying on the grill from the oh so overcooked masses of unidentifiable protein masses that were being moved around.

No flavor, and had the burned fatty taste from the residual grease hitting the splash guard below the grates on the gasser (yes, a gasser).

I offered to explain the finer art of Q-ing, but was met with futile resistance.

It's amazing how hard some folks will work to ruin meat.

Thanks for letting me vent.

RMR

Lake Dogs
04-10-2011, 07:42 PM
ignorance = lack of knowledge

Be nice. He just doesn't know... The only way to convince him is to invite him over for dinner one night; surprise him with real Q. Let him eat, dont talk it up. He'll convince himself.

I have some great friends that had us over last summer for barbecue. They'd never had real Q, so their idea was crock pot butt's. It was tasteless. Luckily they had great sauce, otherwise what a waste. I didnt say much (I knew there was no reason). Well, last October they had a chance to visit the team right after final turn-in (we tied for 4th this day). It started with a little sample, then another, then a chair pulled up, then they went and gathered all the other friends and friends of friends. Luckly I'd cooked 9 shoulders. It was a barbecue sampling fest. Now they only want me to cook for them...

Careful what you ask for.

Bob Wiley
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I like falling off the bone. Guess I'm an idiot.

jasonalan724
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I like falling off the bone. Guess I'm an idiot.

I think him thinking of the crock-pot as Que ribs makes the guy more of an idiot. No so much the falling off the bone. But if you insist, you are, who's to argue with you.

NewBBQer
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
A few other couples beside my wife and I would grill some meat and then it became my turn... Now there is no other place for Q they all come to my house. people just dont want to research!

woodbutcher1
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
ignorance = lack of knowledge

Be nice. He just doesn't know... The only way to convince him is to invite him over for dinner one night; surprise him with real Q. Let him eat, dont talk it up. He'll convince himself.

I would guess that this person is so convinced about the way he is preparing a meal, that it is the only way. Because that is all he knows. He may find real "Q" as disgusting to him as it was
to RMR.

Dallas Dan
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
I hope you politely gave him the link to this forum.

1_T_Scot
04-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I was in the Carribean and talking to a Chef that was opening a resteraunt he was bragging about how he could not find liquid smoke on the Island so he had to import his own to make real Tex Mex tacos....I laughed and just could not respond! The locals make some decent Q over charcoal.

I'm going back in the fall wonder if he is still in buisness?

He was going to Bake his pork butt with the liquid smoke.

codger
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I agree, cook for him. For some there is no way to reach them with words. Fix what he fixed for you, only do it the right way. You'll probably convert him.

Grafixgibbs
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I find once people have real Q they have a hard time eating the other. My family loves Q and will go out in there respective towns for it, but always say mine is better.

Capozzoli
04-10-2011, 10:04 PM
The crock pot is an utterly useless piece of kitchen equipment. It just ruins food and it takes all day to do it.

LT72884
04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I think it totally depends. If im hungry, i dont care where it came from. Tonight, my sister made pulled beef sammies and the chuck came from the crock pot! it tasted way good. granted it wasnt cooked over hot coals but its nice to have something once in a while that doesnt have all that smoke flavor.

I love wildrice with porkchops cooked in the crock pot, soups are nice, but would rather use a stove. Im just sayin i have had some good food from an oven and crock pot. i had BB's once from an oven that were amazing. They just laid em right on the racks and cooked away! Once done, they put in a aluminum dish and added sauce! they were good.

Midnight Smoke
04-10-2011, 10:59 PM
The crock pot is an utterly useless piece of kitchen equipment. It just ruins food and it takes all day to do it.

That's a little overboard. I have had some pretty good stuff come out of a Crockpot. But to be honest, I have ruined a few dinners with one as well. :wink:

OneHump
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm sure it sucks, and I probably wouldn't wan't to eat it, but there's nothing wrong with what you're cooking on as long as you're cooking. :-P

Sammy_Shuford
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
It's a tough lift, for some! I have friends who won't eat ribs unless I cooked them.

HOG WILD BBQ
04-11-2011, 07:12 AM
That's a little overboard. I have had some pretty good stuff come out of a Crockpot. But to be honest, I have ruined a few dinners with one as well. :wink:
I AGREE:clap2:

Hub
04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Oh the humanity!!!!! :puke:

Sean "Puffy" Coals
04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
My family get-togethers usually only consisted of grilled burgers, hotdogs and maybe some marinated chicken. Last summer, I whipped up a big batch of spares using my own rub and smoked low and slow over apple wood for my god-daughter's communion picnic; it was all anyone could talk about for weeks. Now, it's like my aunt's brownies- they just expect that I'm going to bring some kind of Q to every party.

Like everyone else has been saying- let your food do the convincing.

expatpig
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Where I live, that's the standard way of cooking ribs, smothered in Su-Wong honey garlic sauce. The brave ones boil them before slathering in sauce and placing on the gasser. When I fire up my smokers, the neighbors look at me in amazement... after they take their laundry off the line.

cowgirl
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I hope you invited him over for some of your Q. :becky:

Bamabuzzard
04-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Not to take away from the point of the original poster nor any disrespect intended. But the truth of the matter is that most people do not know how to "smoke" meat of any kind. Normally one of two scenarios are true.

1. They have tried and got so frustrated they quit (which happens to most folks).

2. They've never attempted to learn how to smoke meat and really don't have any interest to learn so they get ideas like the cooking in the crockpot, oven, par boiling etc from others like them or who fall under the case mentioned in #1.

I've had this exact same thing happen to me many times over the last ten years and it never fails. You try to explain to them in the attempt to truly help them and expose them to something they might actually like more than what they current have. But are only met with resistance. It is human nature.

As some have mentioned if you are truly hell bent on trying to convince him don't tell him anything. Cook some of your Q and invite him over.

But the reality is bbq'n/smokin' meat isn't easy. It is an art and the majority of people have no clue how to do it.

JazzyBadger
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Wait.. WAIT. I've been taking my ribs and putting them in a crock pot, then putting THAT on the smoker. Is this wrong?!

I'm with everyone else, make up a batch of whatever he called food and invite him to eat it done your way.
I'm also with the crock pot being an amazing thing. I've got TWO of those mofos and have nothing but love for them. They have saved me COUNTLESS times from the horde of hungry boys that massacre this poor house.

Groundhog66
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Question to the OP, has your neighbor ever had your BBQ?

deepsouth
04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
my brother in law is a trained chef and supposedly knows his way around a grill. he just got a big ol' smoker. i forget which kind.

anyway, he came over the other day to tell me that i needed to start parboiling my ribs before i "finish" them on the grill... and he wasn't talking about sous-vide...

deepsouth
04-11-2011, 01:48 PM

i've found one thing that's good in a crock pot...... paula dean's taco soup. brown some beef and pour a bunch of cans of different things in there and forget it for eight hours (while i'm asleep).

i'm sure i could do the same thing in my dutch oven on the gas cooktop, but i'm a little afraid of doing that and going to bed.

(it's also the only thing i've ever tried in the crockpot. took it down to make it the first time and the directions were still in it. yes, it even came with directions. hahahaa.)

hamiltont
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM

i've found one thing that's good in a crock pot...... paula dean's taco soup. brown some beef and pour a bunch of cans of different things in there and forget it for eight hours (while i'm asleep).

i'm sure i could do the same thing in my dutch oven on the gas cooktop, but i'm a little afraid of doing that and going to bed.

(it's also the only thing i've ever tried in the crockpot. took it down to make it the first time and the directions were still in it. yes, it even came with directions. hahahaa.)
The Crock Pot get some use in our house but my favorite is Pork & Kraut. Pork Sirloin roast smothered with Kraut with apple something (apple slices or cubes, apple sauce, apple juice), a sliced onion, little brown sugar and S&P. Served over mashed potatoes. YUM! Cheers!!!

prudog
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
The quickest way to lose someone is to criticize or tell them they are doing something wrong.

I have a friend that is obsessive about his BGE... uses for everything. However, he will ocassionally throw some ribs in his crockpot. I never understood it, but I do accept it to the point to let him be. Somehow became part of his convenience or comfort food. To be honest, there are times that I would rather fry chicken wings in my Dutch Oven filled with peanut oil on the gasser side burner than eat wings with him from the BGE. Fried chicken/pork skin... yummy.

OakPit
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Absolutely!

rocketmanray
04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Question to the OP, has your neighbor ever had your BBQ?

Not yet, I didn't know him then - we moved into the neighborhood about 18 months ago and he lives on the other street. We've talked over the fence (actually across the canal we live on the water in Florida).

I plan on inviting them to the Easter Sunday Cookout that we've done (regardless of where we have lived).

I throw on an extra shoulder for him....

RMR

Groundhog66
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
So he invited you into his home for a meal, and you have not done the same. You then go on a public forum to tear him apart?? I am sorry, but it seems a bit over the top to me. Let's just hope he doesn't come around to wanting to learn BBQ, join the Brethren, only to see the rude comments you made about him in this thread.

Southern Home Boy
04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I find once people have real Q they have a hard time eating the other. My family loves Q and will go out in there respective towns for it, but always say mine is better.
^^^ :thumb: ^^^

Same here. My wife says I've ruined BBQ for her. The kids still get excited about going out to eat, but always are disappointed when they get something that I cook better. :laugh:

bobsuosso
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Sometimes the food isn't the most important part of having a meal with someone, hopefully the company was better.

leanza
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Made greens in the crock pot and they were a triumph!

Bamabuzzard
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Lets go easy on the guy. This is a BBQ Forum and it seems he's just making an observation based on the foundation of the forum which is all things bbq. I don't think he wasn't appreciative of the invite or the company.

He was isolating (in a vacuum so to speak) the method the guy used to do his bbq and seeing that cooking ribs in a crockpot, an oven or using liquid smoke is usually punished with forum flogging he was just bringing forth another violator. :thumb:

hamiltont
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Here ya go CAP. :wink: Here's the do all end all of crock pots. Cheers!!!

The Rival BB100 Crock Pot BBQ Pit.... :shock:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/tjhamilton/RivalCrockPotBBQPit.jpg

Grafixgibbs
04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
^^^ :thumb: ^^^

Same here. My wife says I've ruined BBQ for her. The kids still get excited about going out to eat, but always are disappointed when they get something that I cook better. :laugh:

My wife says the same thing. We have a few decent BBQ joints around here and I'll ask her if she wants to go to one and she's like, "No. Yours is better." :-P

Bob Wiley
04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
"BBQ Snobs Prayer"

Lord, if a neighbor ever offers me bbq that I find inferior,
And I am tempted to bestow upon him my perfect knowledge,
Please kick me in the balls before I open my big fat trap.
Abbqmen.

Capozzoli
04-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Here ya go CAP. :wink: Here's the do all end all of crock pots. Cheers!!!

The Rival BB100 Crock Pot BBQ Pit.... :shock:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/tjhamilton/RivalCrockPotBBQPit.jpg

Holy Crap! I cant believe it.

There are some things that the crock pot is good for.

It will keep your balls warm at parties.
You can make candles with it.
You can make a small still with it.
It makes a nice portable toilet, and the seat stays all nice and warm.

I have no need for one. Wouldn't ever use it for cooking. My pressure cooker does a far superior job and it does in 20 mins. what takes the crock pot eight hours.