PDA

View Full Version : What I learned, yesterday.

2dumb2kwit
04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
OK, I'm new here, and new to a lot of this cooking, but I learned a little something yesterday, that might be of some use to somebody.
Trying one of the recipe's that I read on here, I ended up with some Sweet baby rays raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce. What I learned was this....At first, when I tasted it right out of the bottle, I was afraid it was going to be a problem. It seemed a bit strong, on the raspberry side, and I'm not a real big raspberry fan. What I really learned was that after it cooked on the MOINKS...OK...almost MOINKS (I actually read the rules. LOL) the raspberry taste was toned down a bit, and that stuff was GOOD!

BTW, I said "almost" moinks because I cheated and used a gas grill. I did, however, burn some apple wood in there, so if y'all will give me a pass on this one, I'd appreciate it. LOL

Chris_R
04-10-2011, 01:31 PM
BTW, I said "almost" moinks because I cheated and used a gas grill. I did, however, burn some apple wood in there, so if y'all will give me a pass on this one, I'd appreciate it. LOL

Been there, done that :becky: As long as it tastes good though right!

Thanks for the tip though, I've been thinking of giving that same SBR sauce a try myself.

Ground Pounder
04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Yep, been there too! You can read all day, but there's never really a way to know until you cook it.

When I get a new sauce or a new rub, I like to try it out on something small - chicken wings, country ribs or pork chops, sausage, or even a hot dog or hamburger, to see what it'll be like before I serve it to the family and friends on the weekend. Doing it this way will also help if you want to kick things up a bit or tone them down before you slather it all over 10-20 lbs of meat with hungry guests.

Gore
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
What I've learned so many times is it is very hard to judge a sauce right out of the bottle. More often than not, sauces that taste good out of the bottle do not taste so good once they're on some meat, and vice versa.

JazzyBadger
04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Man Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipolte BBQ sauce is GREAT. I use it on my chicken drumsticks, and I always love them.

PORQY
04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
What Gore said.