PDA

View Full Version : What to buy???

jdloring01
04-09-2011, 11:53 PM
So I am thinking of buying a smoker. I would love to get the Weber Smokey Mountain. I have a Weber Performer now. The Smokey Mountain is kind of pricey. Is there any other smoker out there that can hang with the WSM without the Weber price? Let me know your thoughts

Smoothsmoke
04-09-2011, 11:57 PM
What are you looking to spend?

jdloring01
04-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Not sure on price yet. Just looking around

Smoothsmoke
04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Perhaps a used WSM? They're hard to find, but they do show up. The 22" wsm new is $315, it may be high, but just throwing it out there.

Boshizzle
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
A UDS can hang with a WSM without the high price tag.

JD McGee
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
You may want to build a UDS...closest thing to a bullet and makes pretty good Q...good luck! :becky:

bmanMA
04-10-2011, 01:23 AM
If you can swing it, go for the WSM. Consider it an investment. You thinkin' the 18 or the 22?

MG_NorCal
04-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Short answer is no.
UDS parts list is cheaper, but your food will taste different.
Standard UDS has no drip/water pan so fat and juice drips down on the coals, which produces a smoky flavor that lots of people like, but some people dislike. Of course you could rig up a drip pan in the UDS.
Check out the giant UDS thread here and consider whether you have the tools and time to get it done or whether you'd rather just pay more up front and get the WSM.
And then there are the vertical propane smokers. Many are under 150 and they are good for roasting meats, but you won't to get near the kind of smoke flavor you will with a charcoal cooker.

Captain Dave
04-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I like the uds better then the wsm. I think it does much better ribs...and you would have to compare it to the 22" wsm for cooking area...and friends and neighbors are blown away by your creativity... I gota tell you even the cable guy was in awe!

Chris_R
04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I gota tell you even the cable guy was in awe!

HAHA thats pretty funny. I can't speak from experience, but from all the reading I've done the UDS is probably the best bang for your buck, and thats the route I planned to take. It was hard to pass up the deal I got on the WSM though so I jumped on it. Even though I now have a WSM I still plan to build a UDS someday.

Skidder
04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Plus with a UDS you can always add a water pan

Ron_L
04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Frankly, if you are going to buy, get a WSM. There isn't anything available today that is a better smoker for the money.

If you have the skillz :) then a UDS is a good choice. A UDS will hold temp for as long as a WSM and has space comparable to the 22.5" WSM. As mentioned, you can add a heat diffuser (not necessarily a water pan, but a steel diffuser or a clay saucer) to get rid of the grease hitting the coals if you don't like that flavor.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Frankly, if you are going to buy, get a WSM. There isn't anything available today that is a better smoker for the money.

If you have the skillz :) then a UDS is a good choice. A UDS will hold temp for as long as a WSM and has space comparable to the 22.5" WSM. As mentioned, you can add a heat diffuser (not necessarily a water pan, but a steel diffuser or a clay saucer) to get rid of the grease hitting the coals if you don't like that flavor.

Great advice.

baldbill
04-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Cant beat a WSM for the price, however, not to make this a uds vs... thread, ribs and chicken on a UDS kick proverbial gluteus maximimus and everyone i have cooked for on love the stuff and want one. I dont find the drippings hitting the coals to be a problem, the flavor maybe more pronounced on longer cooks say for butts, but again, a pan or diffuser would tackle that. As a sidenote, everything I have ever had cooked on a WSM was very good, cant go wrong with it.

jdloring01
04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for the input. I am a die hard Weber guy. I have decided to save a little and go with the WSM. I think I will go with the 18". I may eventually build a UDS down the road. Once again, thanks!!

Skidder
04-10-2011, 05:00 PM
To bad you don't live near me I'd sell you my WSM. I've gone UDS all the way. Much more room than my 18" WSM