PDA

View Full Version : First try at pulled pork

chip32
04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Tomorrow I will attempt my first run at pulled pork on the UDS. I have the recipe but I'm looking for suggestions on the smoking process. I plan on using 1.5 hours per pound at 225 or so. Any other suggestions?

Jason TQ
04-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Tomorrow I will attempt my first run at pulled pork on the UDS. I have the recipe but I'm looking for suggestions on the smoking process. I plan on using 1.5 hours per pound at 225 or so. Any other suggestions?

If you are set on eating at a specific time with guests or family plan for a little more time than you think. I remember my first few butts took much longer than planned and we ate around 9pm. If they are done early you can always wrap them in foil and stick them in a cooler. But if it is just you eating and you don't care when it is done than don't worry about it :).

Good luck.

QuietOne
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
The first ever run on anything smoked isn't the best event to have guests with. However if you have all ready issued the invites, start early early - 8 pounds of pork could take 14 hours and I've heard of people having to go longer.

If you're foiling at 60° C 140F°(unny) add a splash of apple juice heated in the microwave just before sealing the package and putting it back on the UDS.

If it is done early you can hold it in a cooler with lots of newspaper and towels for up to 4 hours if you run hot (near boiling) water into the cooler, let it sit for 5 mins with the lid closed then dump and quick dry. Add a layer of towels, pop in your foiled meat, cover with balled news papers and another layer of towels. Hold up to 4 hours for sure.

jestridge
04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Start early if you start running out of time bump that heat up. Myself usually cook around 275-300

Wampus
04-09-2011, 01:07 PM
As said....it's always better to be done well early and hold the meat in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels than having your guests waiting.

That 1.5 hrs per lb is a GUIDE. Yours may stall at 150-155 for 20 minutes and it may stall for 3 hours solid (yes, this happens) you just never can tell.

I've held pork butts in a cooler for 7 hours before and they were still well above 140 d (the "safe" temp) when we pulled them out.

Good luck!

chicagokp
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm doing butts again right now. They've been on for 9 1/2 hours at a solid 255 degrees in the smoker. They both stalled around 160-162. Now one is at 185 and the other has been sitting at 174 for the last 70 minutes or so. So you never can tell what they're gonna do. Just remember, temp is just a guide and it's the feel you need to go by at the end.

GreenDrake
04-09-2011, 07:34 PM
BBQ is done when it's done. That butt I did yesterday took 17 hours, albeit I had it low, at 200-210 the whole time, stalled twice. Everyone here has it nailed, give yourself the time and start early, if it finishes, just cooler that baby toss a towel on it and let it hang out till dinner.

chip32
04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, the cook is going quite nicely at this point. The butt has been on since ten and at one it has reached 145 degrees. I'm actually hoping for a little bit of a stall at this point but I have the cooler ready just in case with towels and newspapers at hand. My neighbor just came over to complain that the smell has permeated his house and is making him crave some BBQ. It is the first day above 50 here since winter set in really. It's sunny and 78 right now!!!
I'm cracking my first beer, listening to the Brewers beat up on the Cubs and laying back. Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Lake Dogs
04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Congrats. Patience, by the way. Let 'er stall and work through it, dont rush. Just keep a nice consistent temperature going and sweet blue smoke. You'll have wonderful pork for dinner.

gtr
04-10-2011, 03:20 PM
You'll know when it's done by feel more than temps. If there's a bone in it, it'll be ready when it wiggles like a loose tooth. After resting you should be able to just pull the bone out clean. If there's no bone, look for probe tenderness - it should slide in "like buttah".

Sounds like you're having a great day - same here!

45fan
04-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a great day! Beer, BBQ, and Baseball...summers here!
Post some pics of your pork when you get done if you have time! Enjoy your dinner!

PORQY
04-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Shouldn't he foil the butts at *about* 160 degrees? The meat stops accepting smoke flavor near that temp, and it prevents your bark from getting to dark and bitter tasting.

martybob
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm smokin my first butt on a WSM right now. been on for 7 hrs @ 230 degrees. been stuck at 159-160 for 2 hrs. I just checked and im at 162. maybe I'm over the hump....

gtr
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Shouldn't he foil the butts at *about* 160 degrees? The meat stops accepting smoke flavor near that temp, and it prevents your bark from getting to dark and bitter tasting.

All depends on how it's going. I've done lots of butts (:shock:) for years and never foiled until yesterday on a whole shoulder. There are a lot of factors to consider such as how you like your bark, how long a stall, when you need it ready, etc.

Lake Dogs
04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
^^^ what gtr said. I/we do, but it's more of a personal choice really.

Dave S
04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Great advice in this thread. "BBQ is done when it's done" So very true!! So important to begin early. If it's done early then just wrap it and throw it in a cooler.