PDA

View Full Version : I made BBq JELLO....

Elfmaze
04-09-2011, 08:33 AM
So i used some runnings from a pork sholder i made a week ago(de fatted, reduced, and mixed with stuff) to make a fairly good BBq sauce if i do say so myself.

BUT after putting it in the fridge over night i took it out to proudly show my girl. AND it was a brick. quite embarrasing. How do i prevent jello'ing? i figure it will de-congeal when heated?

SmokinAussie
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
That's what happens. You can't prevent it. That's what it does.

It will de-congeal when heated.

Didn't you learn anything from your Mom...

Capozzoli
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Its not jello, its chilled BBQ consume'.

Elfmaze
04-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Didn't you learn anything from your Mom...

Yeah, apparenlty i got launched lacking some essential food skills.

Wampus
04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Whew......I was expecting this to be INTENTIONAL BBQ jello.:eyebrows:
Just don't think the kids would go for that one.

As for the REAL intent of this thread.....no idea. Sometimes my BBQ sauce gets very thick as well after I make it, but I haven't used actual drippings for it. Mine's usually from the butter. I gotta guess that reheating will reliquify it.

ODU Dad
04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
What ya got is what is called collagen. It is the stuff that makes up the connective tissues, as well as cow hooves and fingernails. When you cook your pork butt and it forms, that is a good thing. If you make stock and the same process takes place, again it is good.

When you heat it up, it will turn back to a liquid, but MUCH better. It gives you a mouth feel that is different than if you just opened up a pork bouillon cube and dissolved it in water.