PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for more?

Ron_L
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
The forecast fore the weekend is wet, but I should be able to squeeze in a couple of hours to roast on Saturday, but I don't want to do it if no one needs more coffee yet.

I'm thinking about roasting either...

Yemen Mocha Sabri
Aroma: Intensity 8/10 berry fruit, toasted grain; big strawberry, slight tropical fruit and a hint of sweet pipe tobacco on the break
Flavor--complex, rich fruits (hints of strawberry, cherry), with slight malty note. Low end had hints of pipe tobacco and dark chocolate, but sweet and VERY clean. This is a very special coffee.

or

Costa Rica SHB EP Romelia
Flavor - slight floral, semi-sweet chocolate, Brazil nut. Moderate sweetness

The Yemen would be $16/bag due to higher green bean price and the Costa Rica would be at the normal $12.

So, who needs coffee, and do you have a strong preference as to which one?

Requests:
Yemen:
gtr - 2 - Shipped
Fatback Joe - 1 - Shipped
Arlin - 1 - Shipped
Big George - 1 - Shipped
Mr. Byte - 2 - Shipped
deepsouth - 2 - Shipped
BBS - 1 - Shipped
Norm - 2 - Shipped
HB BBQ - 2 - Shipped
Landarc - 1? Gotta look
Deguerre - 1? Gotta look

Total - 16?

Costa Rica:
gtr - 2 - Shipped
Cast Iron Cheif - 1 - Shipped
Big George - 1 - Shipped
Mr. Byte - 2 - Shipped
deepsouth - 1 - Shipped
BBS - 1 - Shipped
Norm - 2 - Shipped
Deguerre - 2

total - 12

gtr
04-06-2011, 04:57 PM
whatever you got - count me in as a 2 bagger.

I've had Yemen Mocha and it is fantastic - the kind of coffee when you serve it people stop what they're talking about and say "holy chit, what is this?".

I'll be great with whatever you roast though - no strong preference. :thumb:

Fatback Joe
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I'd like to give the Yemen a shot if you make it.

Arlin_MacRae
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd like a bag of the Yemeni beans, Ronelle. Thanks, bro!

Arlin

Cast Iron Chef
04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I need to get on board Ron L coffee express. I would take the Costa Rica. Let me know what you need.

HB-BBQ
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
I am ready as we are about to finish up the Goroka. I'm good with either one you decide to roast and will take two bags this time around thanks.

Big George's BBQ
04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
I check daily for more. I will take 2 of what you decide to do
Thanks

Ron_L
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
So far the weather looks good for tomorrow. I'm definitely going to roast the Yemen, and may also do some of the Costs Rica depending on how much time and energy I have :-D

bigabyte
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Two bag me, please, on the Yemen! Actually, go ahead and two bag me again with the Costa Rican.

gtr
04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll take two of the Yemen and 2 of the Costa Rican if and when you have it.

Arlin_MacRae
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Tea bag me, please, on the Yemen! Actually, go ahead and tea bag me again with the Costa Rican.

:shock:

bigabyte
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Uh-oh, Arlin got a hold of the secret decoder ring!:eek:

gtr
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
people get a little coffee in 'em & things get nutty.

deepsouth
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
i'll take two yemen and one costa rican.

thanks!

big brother smoke
04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I'll take a Yemen and Costa Rican USPS priority.

Not touching the Tea bag thingy! :mod:

Big George's BBQ
04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
If you have it I would take a Costa Rican Too

Norm
04-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I'd like to get 2 of each if possible. I'll PM you my paypal info when your ready.

Ron_L
04-10-2011, 09:59 AM
The coffee is ready to go and some of you have already paid. i am heading out of town tomorrow afternoon, so if the rest of you can please get the payment done my morning then I can ship everything before I leave.

BTW, I have 3 bags of Yemen and 6 bags of Costa Rica available if anyone else wants in.

I normally let coffee rest for three or four days after roasting to let the flavors develop, but I couldn't resist trying the Yemen this morning. O... M... G... Even after only 16 hours rest the fruit just exploded in the dry aroma. i can wait to see what it is like after the proper rest!

Big George's BBQ
04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Can not wait Thanks money sent. I save your coffee for the weekends :-D

Norm
04-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Ron sent my payment out this morning.

Ron_L
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
All orders to date have been shipped!

I have 6 bags of Costa Rican left if anyone else wants in.

landarc
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Any Yemen left Ron? I will take 2 bags, or three if you want to dump that third bag on me. Let me know please. Yes, the PNG is gone, I drink too much coffee.

deguerre
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Drat! Lost out on the Yemen. Would've gone for two and two. I'll take two Costa Rican Ron! Redhot's never had CR.

Arlin_MacRae
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Drat! Lost out on the Yemen. Would've gone for two and two. I'll take two Costa Rican Ron! Redhot's never had CR.

Well, you and Red can pop over for a cuppa anytime! :becky:

Ron_L
04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
The Yemen is definitely gone. All that is left now is four bags of Costa Rican. I made some this morning and it is an excellent coffee, so if you want to try it you won't be disappointed.

Norm
04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Got my coffee in today, really good quality and super fast service.

Thanks Ron!

Big George's BBQ
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Mine came today Thanks Ron

gtr
04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Drinking the Yemen now. Once again - dang! I really am impressed. This is some great stuff - amazing! :clap2:

bigabyte
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Got mine yesterday!:whoo: I'm still working on the PNG...can't imagine trying anything different yet, it's so dang good.:cool:

deepsouth
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Drinking the Yemen now. Once again - dang! I really am impressed. This is some great stuff - amazing! :clap2:

can't wait go get mine and try it!

Ron_L
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Did you smell the coffee after you ground it? I'm not home and didn't bring any with me, but when I ground some on Monday and sniffed the dry grounds I got a blast of berries.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get any more. This lot is completely gone :tsk:

gtr
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
No - it was one of those hustle off too work mornings - no time to stop and smell the coffee. I'll check it out next pot. Great taste and great kick!

We have a great local coffee shop that gets Yemen Mocca in sometimes & that stuff is great as well. On your bag is says Yemen Sari (if I remember correctly). Are the different names (mocca and sari) due to the roast or the beans themselves? Their stuff is more mocha kinda tasting - kinda earthy - while yours has a more fruity type flavor.
They are both awesome & it's a bummer you can't get more of that stuff - but your other stuff is fantastic as well so it's all good :thumb:.

deepsouth
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
just got mine today. i can't wait to try them both. will probably be saturday before i get a chance. not a weekly coffee drinker, but love a couple cups on weekends!

i've still got the kona from a few weeks ago, unground. how long will the beans be good?

landarc
04-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, sad day, out of my PNG, one of the best coffees I have experienced.

bigabyte
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I will probably cry when mine runs out. But it sounds like this Yemen might console me.

Ron_L
04-14-2011, 12:55 PM
We have a great local coffee shop that gets Yemen Mocca in sometimes & that stuff is great as well. On your bag is says Yemen Sari (if I remember correctly). Are the different names (mocca and sari) due to the roast or the beans themselves? Their stuff is more mocha kinda tasting - kinda earthy - while yours has a more fruity type flavor.

The mocca (or mokha) designation is from the key port in Yemen (Al Mukala now, but once called Mokha). The Sabri is the growing region within Yemen, and sometimes even the farm itself.

Ron_L
04-14-2011, 12:55 PM

I will probably cry when mine runs out.

I have more :becky:

Arlin_MacRae
04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Got my Yemeni beans yesterday, Ron, but haven't ground it up yet. It's chillin' in the freezer until sometime next week when it meets the whirling blades.

Thanks!

Arlin

HB-BBQ
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
We brewed the our first pot of the Yemen this morning and all I can say is wow! After the Kona, PNG and now this my wife and I cannot go back to store bought coffee. Thanks Ron!

Cast Iron Chef
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Received my Costa Rica coffee last night. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Very rich, smooth aroma. Stuck with the red can at work until then.

deepsouth
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
We brewed the our first pot of the Yemen this morning and all I can say is wow! After the Kona, PNG and now this my wife and I cannot go back to store bought coffee. Thanks Ron!

i'm not a coffee drinker, but i started with the kona on weekends and, like you said, after that and the PNG, i'll continue to drink coffee on weekends, but it will be Roastin' Ron's.

deepsouth
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
how long will this coffee store if i don't grind it until i use it. i still have kona left.

it's currently in the bags in the pantry, not the freezer.

Ron_L
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm picky :doh: so I use it within two weeks of roasting. Most folks would be fine using it within a month or so. You can go a couple of months if you freeze it, but only freeze what you want to store. Don't keep it in the freezer and take out what you want to use. That get's too much moisture in the bag.

gtr
04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Quick technical question - when I do french press, it seems like it's better if I don't let the water get all the way to a boil. Does that seem right?

deepsouth
04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Quick technical question - when I do french press, it seems like it's better if I don't let the water get all the way to a boil. Does that seem right?

interested in this as i use a french press as well.

deepsouth
04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm picky :doh: so I use it within two weeks of roasting. Most folks would be fine using it within a month or so. You can go a couple of months if you freeze it, but only freeze what you want to store. Don't keep it in the freezer and take out what you want to use. That get's too much moisture in the bag.

yikes. looks like i better get to drinking. will go ahead and kill the kona this weekend.

Ron_L
04-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Well, that's just me :) You may not notice the degradation as the coffee ages as much as I do.

Ron_L
04-15-2011, 10:29 PM

The ideal brew temp is between 195 and 205 degrees. I generally bring the water to a boil and then as it rests I grind the coffee. By then the water is around 200 - 203 and that's generally right for my tastes.

Use your thermapen and see what temp the water is when the coffee tastes best to you, and then you can duplicate the results.

Ron_L
04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
BTW, I have three bags of Costa Rican left.

landarc
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
You want the water to reach no more than 190F, above that and you are losing some of the more delicate flavors. This is one of the reasons that a hot pot with a thermostat is often used for cuppings.

landarc
04-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Dang, Ron answered and our answers do not match.

I have to say, one of the interesting things about the PNG, it is rare that I find a coffee that tastes great both hot and cold, this is one that does just that. I was cupping some Yemen Mocha Sanani and it is great on depth and when warm, a Bali that was exceptional when hot, but, thin and bitter when cold.

Ron_L
04-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Probably TMI, but...

http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr/grind.brew.php

gtr
04-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Absolutely not TMI! Thanks for the link. :thumb: Another question - time for a new grinder. I do drip and french press. What would be a good one to get?

Ron_L
04-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Check out this information...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98321

This is the grinder that I use for drip, press, etc.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/baratza_maestro_plus.cfm

It's pricey, but will last a long time.

If you want something less expensive, this is a good choice...
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Capresso/infinityburr.cfm

Also, if you don't mind refurbished, Baratza has some good deals...

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BRFB

The Maestro for $70 is a bargain. The rebadged Starbucks Barista is a hybrid of the Maestro and the Maestro Plus and is a good deal for $80, and a refurb Maestro Plus at $95 is a good value.

gtr
04-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I definitely do refurbs - I also like the word "bargain", so looks like I'll be stepping in to the world of burr grinders and getting the Maestro refurb - many thanks for the info! :clap2:

Cast Iron Chef
04-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Got to try the Costa Rican yesterday. Very good. Very rich full flavor and no bitterness at all. It was interesting that after grinding I did get a bit of tobaco smell. I thought maybe it was just me. Went back to your first post and you mentioned that about the Yeman.

Ron_L
04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm getting a little tobacco and also a little leather from the CR. The aroma will change as the coffee ages.

Big George's BBQ
04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Ron do you recommend that if you are not going to open the bag and use the beans for a few weeks to stick it in the freezer

Arlin_MacRae
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Grinding the Yemeni tonight for drinkage in the morning. Really looking forward to it.

anamosity
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
When and what will the next batch be?

deguerre
04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Got the CR Friday and tried the first pot Saturday. Michele made the first pot and decided she preferred the PNG. The next pot I made quite a bit stronger and she was happier with the CR (Me too - the first pot was waaaay too weak and had been ground too corse). Still have some of the PNG and will save the Yemen for a few weeks. I'm finding a 12 oz bag is lasting me about 4 to 5 days at the strength I brew it.

Arlin_MacRae
04-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Yemeni is GONE. Ready for a new bag!!! :clap2:

Ron_L
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Got the CR Friday and tried the first pot Saturday. Michele made the first pot and decided she preferred the PNG. The next pot I made quite a bit stronger and she was happier with the CR (Me too - the first pot was waaaay too weak and had been ground too corse). Still have some of the PNG and will save the Yemen for a few weeks. I'm finding a 12 oz bag is lasting me about 4 to 5 days at the strength I brew it.

Stick the Yemen in the freezer if you're going to hang on to it. That will slow the outgassing and degradation.

Big George's BBQ
04-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Stick the Yemen in the freezer if you're going to hang on to it. That will slow the outgassing and degradation.

Does your coffee have gas

Ron_L
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes :oops:

Roasted coffee outgasses CO2 as it ages. At first this help develop the flavors, but eventually it carries away the subtle flavors.

deguerre
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Just had four 12 oz mugs of the CR. I'm wired! Who knew?:becky:

Put the Yemen in the freezer per your advice Ron, but it'll be gone within a fortnight I think.:thumb:

Big George's BBQ
04-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Very sad Its all gone :sad:

Ron_L
04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
I think I have enough for a pot of two.

I'm not going to be roasting this weekend. i tweaked my knee and it is so sore that it hurts even when i am sitting. I hope to be able to roast next weekend.

Big George's BBQ
04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your knee. I hurt mine a few years ago when I tripped going down steps with dirty laundry- ripped my thigh muscel off my knee cap. I was about 2 min away to drive to W. Virgina to help cook at a BBQ Comp. Puts lot of ice on it and let your wife wait on you :becky:
Hope you are better soon

Norm
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Get better soon Ron, I'm on the last bag of coffee! :becky:

I tore up my meniscus a year ago this month. Just finally getting back to normal so I feel your pain.

LuvDbbq
11-26-2011, 09:54 PM
So Ron, are you still roasting? I don't see any activity on here as of late.
What are your prices and sizes?

gtr
11-26-2011, 10:08 PM
:tea::hungry::becky:

Ron_L
11-26-2011, 10:16 PM
So Ron, are you still roasting? I don't see any activity on here as of late.
What are your prices and sizes?

Yeah, I am, but between business travel, the dog's surgery and the weather I haven't been able to do more than a small batch or two to keep us in coffee at home. I have a couple of new coffees that I want to roast soon, possibly this coming weekend.

Sorry...