PDA

View Full Version : A little too anal??

ModelMaker
04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I just layed out a couple of stuffed chicken breasts from my local Fareway store for chow tonight. It seemed like a lot uneeded wrapping paper and plastic. I had made notice of this before when I was unwrapping a nice big sirloin steak. I remembered after wadding it all up for the garbage it was a pretty big and heavy ball.
This morning out of curiosity I weighed the paper/plastic ball and it was 1.7 oz. Now at $2.99 lb for stuffed chicken breast, that comes out to $.32
for packaging. The sirlion paper wad would easily have been 3 oz. at $4.99 lb that packaging added $.94 to the price of that steak.
Now I can't say 100% sure that they weigh after wrapping but next trip I will watch and if they do will request they scale and price pre-wrapping.
I can only imagine how many hundereds of wrapped product from the meat counter go out every day.
I couldn't guess how many pkgs a year I haul out of there.
Pretty nice profit enhancer...
Ed

---k---
04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
The standard practice is to weigh the meat before packaging, except for a thin sheet of paper underneath to keep the scale clean. So, if they are following the standard procedures, you got nothing to worry about.

The Grill Sergeant
04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I would be suprised if you paid for the wrapping too. Of course, you did - but it would have been embedded in the $4.99 a lb and not on top of it.

WineMaster
04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Never seen them put the paper on a scale. They always put down a light film on the scale, put the meat on that then wrap after it has had a sticker made. Too Anal no To Paranoid yes. Time for the aluminum hat.

expatpig
04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
The answer to your lead in question is , Probably.

Wampus
04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
YES!!!!:heh:

But I do get your point.
I used to work at a meat counter and from what we did and from what I've noticed, the meat is usually put on the scale with only the 'celophane stuff' and weighed. If buying a ground product (sausage/beef, etc) they'll put it in the little boat. Other than that, they weigh the meat, then tear off a piece of butcher paper and wrap.

Personally, I've never seen them wrap up the meat and weigh after packaging.

Pyle's BBQ
04-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Ed, I shop at Fareway too. They just weigh with just the plastic on the scale. They should by rights zero out the scale with the plastic on the scale. So to your question, they do not weigh the paper that the meat is wrapped in.

cameraman
04-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Great thought though OP. Just cause you might be paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

dataz722
04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Most of the time thought if you are buying prepacked meat from a grocery store those are weighed including all the packing material. At least that is how most of the butchers did it at the grocery store I used to work at.

Learnin Querve
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm a Fareway shopper also, and I've never seen them weigh anything after wrapping. I once mentioned of the weight of the small sheet of plastic laid on the scale before the meat is placed on it. The guy pulled off another sheet about equal sized and laid it on the scale...It didn't even register.

On the whole, I'd rather buy it fresh and wrapped to order than in in a heat sealed foam tray.

Chris

thirdeye
04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
In the back room the store scales have a tare feature so they can forgive the weight of the little tray, the absorbing pad and the wrap. I use a postal scale in my kitchen with the same feature.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2011/DSC08812aa.jpg

Here is where it comes in handy. I can put a saucer or paper plate on it, punch TARE and it zero's it out (it forgets about the plate). Then I can add whatever to the saucer and it only displays the net weight. This is really handy when measuring things like salt for a brine

Gore
04-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I've just got to see the thread you make that into a delicious dinner. Smoke until the probe goes in like butter, I suppose? :becky:

landarc
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Here is where it comes in handy. I can put a saucer or paper plate on it, punch TARE and it zero's it out (it forgets about the plate). Then I can add whatever to the saucer and it only displays the net weight. This is really handy when measuring things like salt for a brine

That is one big dark hunk of salt

Nickos
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM
no such thing as too little anal

wait.. what?

The Grill Sergeant
04-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I've just got to see the thread you make that into a delicious dinner. Smoke until the probe goes in like butter, I suppose? :becky:

U guys just crack me up! Can't get away with nuttin around here!