PDA

View Full Version : Ordered My 22.5 WSM! But Shipping Problems. Arrgg!!!!

Jason TQ
03-31-2011, 09:22 PM
I need to vent on something trivial and I'm guessing this is the right audience as many of you can understand and may have experienced my frustration.

So I was extremely happy after buying a 22.5 WSM on Wednesday on Amazon and I have Amazon prime so overnight shipping is only $3.99. I know Sears has a deal the WSM as well, but I had some Amazon gift cards I needed to use and made it about the same price. Plus again the overnight shipping is awesome. I was so pumped about getting it today and waited and waited and nothing came. I checked the Fedex shipping number and saw that while the order was processed for overnight shipping but it was still in the "Initiated" phase, which means the seller didn't give it to Fedex on Wed. I called Fedex to confirm this was the case and they said "Yes the seller did print out the shipping label to 'initiate' the process but never gave it to Fedex".

It still shows as initiated even late into tonight which also means Fedex still doesn't have it and I won't be getting it tomorrow either.

So I of course spoke with Amazon and all they could do was refund me the $3.99 overnight shipping which I get since they really are just the facilitator for Sellers. So now I have to get in contact with the seller who is "DependableResource".

Has anyone bought a WSM off Amazon and specifically from them? As a seller they had really good feedback. They are past customer service hours so I can't call, but I have already sent them an email and will call Friday when service hours start.

This isn't the end of the world and I have 2 smokers out back still :), but was really hoping to get it for this weekend as a buddy and I are doing our first full practice competition run to get ready for a comp in a few weeks. I wanted to be giving this baby a spin as well along with the other smoker we use.

Now at best I'm guessing if I can get a hold of them tomorrow and they get the package to Fedex and overnight it I will get it Saturday. Not too bad but we are doing and overnight Fri-Saturday cook. So I could and will use it Sunday if they ship it Friday.

Anyways. I just needed to get that off my chest. Nothing worse is the purchasing world than ordering something and they package is in shipping limbo.

NorthwestBBQ
03-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes, I have, and it arrived with no problems. Sorry about you woes, bro.

Jason TQ
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, I have, and it arrived with no problems. Sorry about you woes, bro.

No biggie. I actually feel better after typing all that out :). I'm sure it is just some anomaly shipping problem that rarely happens, but did happen to me. I'm going to give Dependable Resource the benefit of the doubt as mistakes do happen, at least until after our first conversation tomorrow which if it goes ok and they correct the problem I won't be upset.

caseydog
03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Even if you get it on Saturday, you need to burn it out before cooking on it. My burnout smelled like an old oil-burning Chevy. There is all kinds of manufacturing oily funk on a new WSM.

So, relax and plan to use it next weekend. Or, who knows, it may surprise you and show up tomorrow.

CD

Groundhog66
03-31-2011, 09:58 PM
What you need to understand is, overnight shipping does not mean you are always guaranteed to get it the day after you place your order. What it means is, you get it the day after the vendor actually ships it. And if they ship it too late in the day, it's a two day anyway. I understand your frustrations, but it will be worth the wait :thumb:

Cast Iron Chef
03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Even if you get it on Saturday, you need to burn it out before cooking on it. My burnout smelled like an old oil-burning Chevy. There is all kinds of manufacturing oily funk on a new WSM.

So, relax and plan to use it next weekend. Or, who knows, it may surprise you and show up tomorrow.

CD

Fedex and ups won't deliver saturday unless it goes out saturday delivery. I'm also suprised you had so much oil on yours. Mine was clean out of the box.

Jason TQ
03-31-2011, 10:09 PM
What you need to understand is, overnight shipping does not mean you are always guaranteed to get it the day after you place your order. What it means is, you get it the day after the vendor actually ships it. And if they ship it too late in the day, it's a two day anyway. I understand your frustrations, but it will be worth the wait :thumb:

Yeah I guess that sounds right, but when you order on Amazon and have Prime at the top are 2 buttons for 1 click purchasing. 1 is for overnight and one is for 2day. Next to the overnight button it said get it by March 31st. So that sounds like I should have gotten it today to me. Even if not I would have thought they would have at least given it to fedex today. They printed the shipping label on Wed and didn't give it to fedex then. Ok, I get that, but they just sat on it all day today too? That is why I'm a little ticked.

I still know it will be worth the wait :). And luckily I have my other buddies/smokers to keep me company.

Jason TQ
03-31-2011, 10:11 PM

CD

Ah I thought you could cook on them right out of the box since the porcelain coating won't rust and you don't really need to season. But you are saying if there is some oil in there I should smoke it out?

blackdog043
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Fedex and ups won't deliver saturday unless it goes out saturday delivery. I'm also suprised you had so much oil on yours. Mine was clean out of the box.

Fedex home delivery runs on Saturdays and no extra charge. I was surprised but I received a few things recently that I wasn't expecting til Monday and it showed up on sat. I even asked the driver and he said yep we deliver on sat's to homes.

Groundhog66
03-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah I guess that sounds right, but when you order on Amazon and have Prime at the top are 2 buttons for 1 click purchasing. 1 is for overnight and one is for 2day. Next to the overnight button it said get it by March 31st. So that sounds like I should have gotten it today to me. Even if not I would have thought they would have at least given it to fedex today. They printed the shipping label on Wed and didn't give it to fedex then. Ok, I get that, but they just sat on it all day today too? That is why I'm a little ticked.

I still know it will be worth the wait :). And luckily I have my other buddies/smokers to keep me company.

Trust me, I'd be as irritated as you...or worse. Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to the pron from your first cook.

Frank Grimes
04-01-2011, 12:53 AM
You should burn charcoal in it once before smoking just to give the shiny coating on the inside some smoke on it, otherwise it burns hot.

BobBrisket
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Never heard of a WSM needing any kind of burn out at all. Even if it's clean outta the box, no burn out needed. They are good to go out of the box. Hope you get yours soon.

Bob

Jason TQ
04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Never heard of a WSM needing any kind of burn out at all. Even if it's clean outta the box, no burn out needed. They are good to go out of the box. Hope you get yours soon.

Bob

Thanks. So it sounds like some folks do it but it isn't necessary. After reading some of the comments I read up on it and like some other have said it can burn hot. I'm probably going to do chicken my first go round so if it burns hot it won't be too much of a problem. Hoping to get the problem resolved today and get it Saturday.

Groundhog66
04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I would do a butt or two, make it a nice long cook.

Jason TQ
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I would do a butt or two, make it a nice long cook.

I'm dreaming of it right now :).

Jason TQ
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok so update. I called Dependable Resource and they said since it was purchased through amazon they are the distributor. Anyone ever had this back and forth before :)? The customer service rep for DR was nice though.

So I just called amazon and luckily this time they did take the responsibility and said the item had shipped out Wed night. So the first time I talked with them the person just didn't know what they were talking about. They didn't have an answer for why fedex is just showing it as initiated so that must be a problem with fedex tracking site. They said I should get it on or before Monday. They amazon rep sent me an email after the call confirming that we spoke and saying i would get the item by Monday. That was a nice touch.

So that has put me at ease somewhat and even a glimmer of hope it may come today or tomorrow :).

BobBrisket
04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Some folks will do a hot, smokey burn with no meat the first time around to season it and build up some of what I call a 'petina' on the inside, but you can do the exact same thing when you cook on it the first time. No sense in wasting a full ring of coals with no meat in the cooker. Plus, the steam from the water and the grease from the meat will help do an even better job of seasoning it. Hope you get it soon.

Chef Jim
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I didn't burn mine first, just started cooking. NO Problems.

Jason TQ
04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Some folks will do a hot, smokey burn with no meat the first time around to season it and build up some of what I call a 'petina' on the inside, but you can do the exact same thing when you cook on it the first time. No sense in wasting a full ring of coals with no meat in the cooker. Plus, the steam from the water and the grease from the meat will help do an even better job of seasoning it. Hope you get it soon.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I didn't want to just burn charcoal with no meat inside. Seems like a waste. I'll probably do some chicken and maybe a fattie. Stuff you can't really screw up as bad if the temp stays high.