PDA

View Full Version : Kidney vs Navy Beans

JONESY
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Who uses kidney beans and who uses navy beans in their baked beans? I’ve always used kidney beans, but have seen a lot of recipes calling for navy beans. Is there really a discernable difference? Is a regional thing?

KuradiEit
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I like kidney beans in chili and navy beans in baked beans.

Here's a good bean guide: http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html
~Kai

bigabyte
03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Traditionally they are either Great Northern or Navy beans for baked beans, but there is no reason you can not use Kidney beans. Pinto beans are a nice touch in baked beans too IMHO. Kidney, Pinto and even Black beans are probably the top three used in red Chili with beans. Great Northern and Navy beans are nice in green chili with beans. That is if you put beans in your chili.

Just don't make baked beans with Lima beans. I'm pretty sure you can be banned for that.

gtr
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Chili? Beans? what is this you speak of? :crazy:

Don't get me wrong - I will destroy a good bowl of chili - beans or no beans (and then it will destroy me :heh:)

I like pintos for baked beans & a pot of navy or great northern beans is a great place to dispose of pork.

1FUNVET
03-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I use pinto beans for my baked beans.

bigabyte
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Chili? Beans? what is this you speak of? :crazy:

Don't get me wrong - I will destroy a good bowl of chili - beans or no beans (and then it will destroy me :heh:)

I like pintos for baked beans & a pot of navy or great northern beans is a great place to dispose of pork.
I go both ways on chili. I was raised with chili with beans, but have since learned the glorious (and superior) traditional chili (no beans). However, family and friends around here usually want beans...

T-Man
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I use navy beans for baked beans . Kidney for red beans and rice . If I add beans to chili, it is half pinto and kidney beans .

jestridge
03-30-2011, 12:00 PM
navy or norther for bake , pinto for chili,don't like kidney beans

barbefunkoramaque
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, technically a kidney is shaped somewhat like a bean, but it does not have the color of a navy bean and beans are much smaller than a human kidney. Personally, your thread makes no sense at all. Why compare a legume to a part of the body? Why not ask us to compare a navy bean to another type of bean?:crazy: Whats next, comparing a pinto to a swimming pool?

SirPorkaLot
03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Pinto beans for baked beans, every good southerner knows that.

Kidney beans for chili (don't listen to those crazy Texans who claim chili has no beans :crazy: )

JONESY
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes, technically a kidney is shaped somewhat like a bean, but it does not have the color of a navy bean and beans are much smaller than a human kidney. Personally, your thread makes no sense at all. Why compare a legume to a part of the body? Why not ask us to compare a navy bean to another type of bean?:crazy: Whats next, comparing a pinto to a swimming pool?

That’s just ridiculous, how would one even comprehend comparing an exploding car to a pool. I just don’t know about you sometimes, just don’t know…

So it sounds like navy beans win.

bigabyte
03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
So it sounds like navy beans win.
Well, considering they are the ones with nuclear armed submarines with global reach, I would say they certainly have an advantage over the other beans.

Skidder
03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
We use Goya small reds. There like a kidney bean but with a softer skin. Yum

expatpig
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
You put beans in chili? I use navy beans or pinto beans in my baked beans. I've seen people use lima beans and it was very good. I think it may be a regional thing.