PDA

View Full Version : Spares... the lazy a$$ mod?

caliking
03-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Getting ready to do a whole mess of spares (actually just 3 racks, trimmed STL style) in the UDS. Expecting company from out of town, and its about time someone showed them what Brethren-quality 'cue is all about! :-D I am planning on using a terracotta plate for a diffuser for the first time.

I would like to settle on a no foil/ no spritz method - dial in the temp on the UDS, load the meat, and not fiddle with much until the ribs are done. I'm kinda tired of the spritzing and foiling and unfoiling.

From other threads it seems that 3.5-5hrs is how long they will take, without foil. With the drum at 275F they should cook faster, but will the bark be too dry/tough? Is 250F better to cook at, then take 'em off when they're done?

Also will the terracotta plate (wrapped in foil) add significant time? Is it a big heat sink that will require a higher drum temp (like 275F+)?

TIA!

landarc
03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I cook a lot of ribs without foiling or spraying. I do not like the temps above 235F for this type of cooking, as I believe the color, texture and bark is better at lower temperatures. I like a heavy rub for ribs that are not to be foiled or sprayed, it gives a better texture.

At temperatures in the 215F to 225F range, you can even use fairly sweet rubs and get a nice mahogany color and no burning. Just a little caramelization.

thirdeye
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2012/DSC00282a.jpg

Gotta love spares from the drum...... I'm a baster, mopper, spritzer etc. I figure I'm in there anyways to turn them, and a little liquid has always worked for me.

One thing to consider if you are cooking hotter.... the temperature difference from the edge of a drum to the center. Mine is about 40°-50° hotter in the center than the thermometer mounted on the side reads.

Bamabuzzard
03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
From other threads it seems that 3.5-5hrs is how long they will take, without foil. With the drum at 275F they should cook faster, but will the bark be too dry/tough? Is 250F better to cook at, then take 'em off when they're done?

Also will the terracotta plate (wrapped in foil) add significant time? Is it a big heat sink that will require a higher drum temp (like 275F+)?

TIA!

That isn't a very long time for spares. At minimum it should take four hours unless the slab is more along the weight/size of baby backs. I cook at 250F with my spares and mine are normally done in the 4 1/2-4 3/4 hours range.

caliking
03-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Seems like the consensus is to do them <250F, so I'll shoot for 220-250 (measured at the center of the grate), no foil, no spritz. i'm not looking to do them hot and fast right now (I'll try that some other time.

Time to go get that drum going!

El Ropo
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I do mine at 275-300, and never peek, spritz, or flip on ribs. I just blaze through the process, and listen to when the ribs start weeping, never once peeking. Just listen through the exhaust vent for the weeping ribs music.

When the music starts to quiet down, I shut down all vents, intake and exhaust for about 30-45 minutes to let the pig butter settle back in.

Since this is a new process for me, I still open the UDS up once close to the end of cook for a quick bend test. At that point they are usually highly bendable :)

caliking
03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
And they're on! Man they look beautiful already... threw on a couple of chunks of apple wood in the basket.

caliking
03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
oh and much thanks to misterbob's tutorial http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98483

The first time I cut my own STL style, and I couldn't believe how easy it was. For some reason it sounded much more daunting, but once I trimmed the first rack, I was nearly stunned at the simplicity.