PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions before I start drilling into my Weber OTS

neel2004
03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Hey all,

I've read posts on here for a while, but haven't posted. I just spent a few hours looking up posts about using my 22.5" Weber One Touch Silver as a smoker. I got it during the winter, and can't wait to finally break it out now that the weather is pretty nice.

I've got a few questions before I start modding my OTS and trying my hand at smoking meats.

First, I have bought a thermometer to attach to the kettle, but I am not 100% sure on placement for it. It is a dial type with a 2" or so probe on it. I've read several threads here, but can't decide if I want to place the thermometer on top or the side of the lid, closer to the handle. What are the brethern's opinions? Should I be measuring temperature at the lid or closer to the coals?

I bought some firebricks to contain coals, and some split peach wood to smoke with. Should I debark the wood? What size chunks should I cut?

Finally, I've seen different temp recommendations for smoking a whole chicken. I'm going to start out with a beer can chicken and some ABT's. What temp should I aim for? Do I need to take the chicken all the way up to 160 at the thigh?

I can't wait to finally get started this week! I've been reading and researching all winter, and am excited that I found a source for wood and firebrick in the same week.

Soybomb
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Consider just dropping your thermometer into a vent hole the first cook or two. I may be in the minority but I don't use one my kettle. I've got a feeling by now what to set my vents to and go with it.

A piece of chicken at 12% fat has to be held at 160 degrees for 17 seconds to be safe from salmonella. I think thats a nice healthy safe temperature to shoot for. If you spatchcock it the thigh and breast will cook more evenly. Brine is always good too.

Don't worry about the bark.

landarc
03-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I use a 22.5 OTS kettle for everything. I use a long shaft thermo through one of the top vent holes to determine kettle heat. It works fine for me. I have not drilled the kettle for any kind of permanent installation, although I just told someone how I would do it. I would also suggest dropping it through the top hole.

Although I pretty much know what my kettle is doing at any time, I do like a thermo as an additional data point.

JazzyBadger
03-24-2011, 01:44 AM
I tell you this much, rather than drilling holes all up into my kettle I just bought an oven therm and threw it in there with the cook. Now like Soybomb said I can just eyeball it for whatever temps I want, I know my vents now.

If the bark is easy to take off, then sure take it off, if it's on there and looking healthy, it won't hurt nuffin in my opinion.

I believe people generally say it's 170 at the thigh 165 at the breast to be totally safe, I shoot for 170 at the thigh myself, 160 for the breast.

I second the spatchcock, unless you're planning on cooking the chicken and ABT's at the same time and space is an issue.

neel2004
03-24-2011, 03:00 AM
I went ahead and placed the thermometer, and hope I don't go on to regret it. I placed it near the vent, between the vent and handle. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the lid.

I think I am going to spatchcock the chicken, and should be able to do a handful of ABT's at the same time, since I only want to do a handful for me and my dad.

I looked in the fridge earlier, and theres a lot of food I still need to cook and use up, so my first smoking adventure may have to be moved to this weekend or early next week.

J3
03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I have been using my OTS as a smoker for the last year or so and it has been working great. Building the fire on one side and separating with brick is what I do as well. Also try putting a pan of water over the fire side and another under the meat, position the top vent over the meat side wide open and use the bottom to control heat.

Defiantly spatchcock the chicken. For wood I don't worry about bark and use one or two chunks that are a little bigger than a golf ball. Start with less wood than you think and you can add more next time if you want more smoke. Good luck, have fun, and post pictures!

blackdog043
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Thermo placement should be fine where you put it.