PDA

View Full Version : Minding the details

kcquer
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I was really disappointed in the brisket I cooked New Years Eve. The flat was very dry, which suprised me because I actually pulled it earlier than normal so I'd get nice slices from the flat. Should've been not quite as tender as my norm but a bit moister.
I finally cut into the point this morning, and instead of finding it a bit under done as usual it was perfectly cooked.

I apparently rookied the probe placement and overcooked the flat.

Gotta pay attention to the little things like probe placement. :oops:

parrothead
01-05-2005, 12:29 PM
She'll appreciate that.

BigBelly
01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I always try my hardest not to cook the point and flat together for that very same reason--assuming you cooked it all in one hunk. You can always chop the flat and either make chopped beef sammies or throw in some chili or soup! I bet that would make for some mighty fine chili or soup.

kcquer
01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
assuming you cooked it all in one hunk.

nearly always

Its almost all gone now, no one but me really noticed and if they noticed they didn't care. Everyone in the house is trained to put a bit of the gelatinous au jus on their leftovers before nuking and it was quite good warmed up. Short lived leftovers is another reason I almost always cook briskets in pairs.

BigBelly
01-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Good lord, I meant to say I cook them separate! I am such a goober!

kcquer
01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Good lord, I meant to say I cook them separate! I am such a goober!

Not my point at all BB, I prefer to cook the flat and point together because of how I like to eat my brisket. The point helps protect the flat for a nice sandwich slicing flat. The point I like to make burnt ends out of. If you stop a whole packer when the flat is perfect, the point usually isn't quite as done as I like it. To make burnt ends you take the still warm point and cut away all the bark and exterior fat. Re rub and return to the smoker. When its done to your tastes, pull and cut into ~1" cubes. Nothin' better than burnt end.

tommykendall
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Gotta pay attention to the little things like probe placement.

Coulda been a dirty probe :lol: Coulda been the meat KC. Tell ya what though - I've been foiling (me - foil??) the first two inches of the point early in the cook to prevent overcooking. Seems to work for me.

BigBelly
01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Maybe I'll cook one whole next time if I can get my hands on one at Sam's Club. Sadly enough I have only seen just flats so far.

TK is a partial foiler. Pass it on!

Bill-Chicago
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Gotta pay attention to the little things like probe placement.

Coulda been a dirty probe :lol: Coulda been the meat KC. Tell ya what though - I've been foiling (me - foil??) the first two inches of the point early in the cook to prevent overcooking. Seems to work for me.

You should start a thread (or forum) on TK's Foiling Tips

tommykendall
01-07-2005, 12:24 AM
You should start a thread (or forum) on TK's Foiling Tips

I know - I tried hijacking the thread with foil tips. Shame on me

Neil
01-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Maybe I'll cook one whole next time if I can get my hands on one at Sam's Club. Sadly enough I have only seen just flats so far.

TK is a partial foiler. Pass it on!

Sam's only carries flats. Wallyworld has the whole packer for about $1.18/lb.

BigBelly
01-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks Neil, great tip! I am always sending the misses to Wally World. But now I think it is fine time I haul my arse on over there and check um out!

tommykendall
01-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Neil, great tip! I am always sending the misses to Wally World. But now I think it is fine time I haul my arse on over there and check um out!

You're only problem - has to be a SuperCenter. I did a search for you a couple days ago - the closest one to you is way the fark in Souther MD or in DE.

BigBelly
01-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Good point!

TK, you remember that old dilapidated shopping center in Annapolis, Parole Shopping Center where the Sears used to be etc?

They completely leveled that flat and are building a Wally World Uber Goober Center! To bad I'll be chillin' in Denver CO by then.

tommykendall
01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
They completely leveled that flat and are building a Wally World Uber Goober Center! To bad I'll be chillin' in Denver CO by then.

That's sweet. From where I lived in MD, that would have put a 3rd Goober Center at approx equal distances from my home. Those farkers do a good job a keeping their distance from me. Closest one out here is 60+ miles away.

BigAl
01-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Good point!

TK, you remember that old dilapidated shopping center in Annapolis, Parole Shopping Center where the Sears used to be etc?

The WallMart in Parker, CO is a Supper Center and has whole Briskets, be sure to pick one that bends easy(the ends of the pack can touch). Cold Fat will not bend.

I stick :shock: the temp probe in the middle of the flat and when it is ready to foil, I cut off the point and return it to the smoker, till it is ready. That way both are great. And Fat cap down all the way. :D