PDA

View Full Version : Deck protection from Smoker

SmokinOkie
03-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi guys,

having a huge deck build and I'm putting my two Red FE's, a charbroiller and a FE Pellet grill on my BBQ portion of the deck.

Need some ideas. I don't like putting them directly on the wood, mainly because of food and grease drippings.

Anyone have a suggestion for what to put under them? I could even have the guys building the deck alter the deck to accomodate something.

Grill mats or something?

Some other material on top of the deck?

Thanks for the help.

Russ

early mornin' smokin'
03-22-2011, 10:24 AM
you could do that drop thru commercial grate metal flooring, or have a corner of the deck be done in waterproof cement board with either tile or brick on top

BruceB
03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
There are grill mats that you can buy; Cabelas sells one that is 30" x 58", that will protect your deck from spills and such.
Most of the big box stores also carry them; HD, Lowes, etc.

SmokinOkie
03-22-2011, 11:03 AM
grill mats are my fall back.

Early Morning. Interesting. Would look good. I'll think about that.

Keep 'em coming.

jestridge
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
google stove board they have any shape , sizes and price

Teleking
03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
have a corner of the deck be done in waterproof cement board with either tile or brick on top

That is a good idea but will add significant weight to the deck if brick is used. That may require beefing things up a little to account for the extra weight.

BobBrisket
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
These are great and won't rust. Just depends if it will fit under the smoker's footprint. In this case galvanized is a good thing.:becky: I've picked em up at auto parts stores for 10-15 bucks.
http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil%20Drains%20and%20Pans/podpgdt.htm

Jorge
03-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Diamond plate, with some non-skid tape. Should clean up easy, easy to replace, and it shouldn't melt or burn if you drop anything too hot. Wipe it down with some Greased Lightning to clean, and hose off as needed. Add non-skid tape as needed if you use larger sheets and get some grease on it.

cdollar
03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
I have an 18-1/2" WSM, and when I pull it out to use it I just lay four 12" floor tiles down to set it up on. Easy to store, easy to clean up. Cost - about $4.

Chuck

Big Jim BBQ
03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
These are great and won't rust. Just depends if it will fit under the smoker's footprint. In this case galvanized is a good thing.:becky: I've picked em up at auto parts stores for 10-15 bucks.
http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil%20Drains%20and%20Pans/podpgdt.htm
Interesting. I had something like that made. Problem is, anything with a lip on it will fill up with water when it rains and the greasy water spills over to the deck. A real mess. I guess if you clean it after every cook it would be OK.

Mitch
03-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Cement board painted with black header paint.

NorthwestBBQ
03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Galvanized Oil Drip Tray.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/bli/11430.jpg

SmokinOkie
03-23-2011, 08:17 AM
One thing in Oklahoma we have a LOT of sun and the deck is on the south side of the house, so anything metal and shiny will get hot.

Appreciate the ideas, keep 'em coming.

kcchiefdav
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
A friend of mine used some slightly thicker lumber at one end of his new deck and then got out his router and took out about a half inch of a 5'x5' area and laid in 1'x1' fireplace tile under his grills. I have no idea how structurally sound this area is, but it sure does look nice.

h20loo
03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I have a dog.... never give spills or drips a second thought. But, when firing up the barrel, I have stopped leaning my grill against the side of the UDS.:rolleyes:

The Pigman
03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
This is for you Dutch Oven cooks. took insides out of a gasser and linened bottom with Stainless Steel. Now can cook on deck instead of back by fire pit. And I still have use of the side burner.

BobBrisket
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Interesting. I had something like that made. Problem is, anything with a lip on it will fill up with water when it rains and the greasy water spills over to the deck. A real mess. I guess if you clean it after every cook it would be OK.
You are correct. They will fill up with water. I try to hose em down or wipe off any left over grease after each cook. That way if rain does fill em up, the water won't be greasy or make for deck stains. The good thing about the lipped part is that it saved my cement from a bad stain when we used it under the Bandera clone I gave my dad and we forgot to put the grease catching can under the drain. It kept the grease from running off the edge.

NorthwestBBQ
03-23-2011, 06:56 PM
One thing in Oklahoma we have a LOT of sun and the deck is on the south side of the house, so anything metal and shiny will get hot.

Appreciate the ideas, keep 'em coming.

These pans reflect heat not absorb it.

SmokinOkie
03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Cement board painted with black header paint.

I'm liking this concept, gonna look at some more google links and talk with the guy.

Here's my challeng I'm putting all my toys here:

LH and RH Matching Powdercoated FEC 100's
FEPC1000 pellet grill
Cookshack 24 or 36" Chargriller

And that's just what I have, not what I'm adding.

Russ

Wampus
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
My first thought was the oil drip pans as BB suggested.
I can see that they will fill up with rain water, though.
For a no-mainenance idea, you could just get some sheet metal and screw it down to the deck boards. That would be like the oil drip pans without the lip. You'd be able to customize the shape/size that way too. Get galvanized sheet metal. Paint them with a flat light color to avoid the "mirror affect" if that bugs you.

24" wide roll flashing would do it. Pretty cheap:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=roll+flashing&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130099508807810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14448707426386608628&sa=X&ei=EpyLTaTDMKrB0QHav_H-DA&ved=0CCEQ8gIwAg#

Diamond plate would work for this too, just a little more $.

QDoc
03-24-2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.everlastepoxy.com/everlast_epoxy_flooring_installation.html