PDA

View Full Version : burnt probes

Neil
01-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Think I just farked up my Nu-Temp probes. Went out and fired up the beast, dropped two probes down the chimney of the 'dera and went inside to prepare the chicken. Never plugged the probes into the transmitters. Later I realize the probes aren't plugged in because the transmitters are sitting on the counter. I go outside see sweet blue rising from the chimney feeling good. Plug the first probe in and it quickly registers HHH and stays that way. Plug the second one in and it does the same thing. Open up the door on the 'dera and flames are coming through the opening into the smoke chamber, the water pan is empty and glowing red in spots and I can feel the heat. That's when I notice the baffle is gone!! Farking thing got so hot it dissintegrated. Tried cleaning the probes but they still just register that HHH. The cable feels like it may have partially melted in spots. Oh well, just Q and learn from it.

BBQchef33
01-01-2005, 12:13 PM
dave will send ya new probes. Those probes are made to handle up to 590 degrees. After that, they toast. I found out the hard way when i used in a steak on the grill. Figured i would stick it in the side so i can flip the steak and not have to remove the probe. Well, this put the probe over the grill(and direct heat) with noting to protect it. A few mins later, the dreadded HHH. Spoke to nu temp and they dont recommend using it for grilling unless its inserted on top of the meat and away from the heat. These are food/oven thermometers, not made for temps higher than oven temps.

BTW, if your out of warrenty, a new probe is 9 bucks I think.

Wayne
01-01-2005, 04:02 PM
What about the meat, man. Youv'e got your priorities all wrong here. What happened to the meat that you were smoking? You can always buy new probes and baffles but an animal has to die to replace the meat.....(burp)........now where is that pint of Guinness?

Neil
01-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Meat turned out great. After brining the chicken overnight I injected it with butter, dry vermouth, garlic and rosemary. Gave it a good rub and in the smoke for 4 hours at around 220*.

BigBelly
01-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Oh poopers!

jeffsasmokin
01-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Neil, what kind of digital therm. are you using? I've got a couple of cheapo's I found at the discount store and they're starting to show their wear. Anyone have suggestions for good reliable ones?

kcquer
01-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Neil, what kind of digital therm. are you using? I've got a couple of cheapo's I found at the discount store and they're starting to show their wear. Anyone have suggestions for good reliable ones?

None of these (that I know of) are built for smokin'. They're made for indoor oven use, and even taking good care of them the leads on the probes aren't gonna last forever. Being smashed in a smoker door isn't what they were designed for.

jeffsasmokin
01-02-2005, 12:52 PM
None of these (that I know of) are built for smokin'. They're made for indoor oven use, and even taking good care of them the leads on the probes aren't gonna last forever. Being smashed in a smoker door isn't what they were designed for.

Ok, then what's the answer? I know there are wireless probes that you can read from a transmitter base from up to 100 ft., but they're pretty expensive. I hate to have to open the chamber door unnecessarily with an instant read, just to know my meat temps.

kcquer
01-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok, then what's the answer?

Have spare probes on hand. Even the remotes have the same probes that go into the meat and then plug into the transmitters. In the 'dera you can route the probes down the stack which is preferable to being smashed in a door.

Wayne
01-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I avoid the super hot stack gas and smash my wireless probe in the door and it does not seem to cause any trouble. The probe cord is also not long enough to keep me from having to set the plastic transmitter on the top of the oven. That might guarantee a milt down. I use a a Redi Chek Remote from a company called Maverick. My daughter gave it to me for my birthday two years ago. I do not know if it is a good one or a bad one, but it works fine for me.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/thermometers/remote_therm.htm

I have the $59 model. I also use it when roasting a turkey in my big church roaster. In fact it is the secret to Dad's wonderful juicy turkey breast. I also have not had any trouble with probe damage.

BBQchef33
01-02-2005, 07:12 PM
i go thru about 8-12 probes a year. (Keep in mind, i cook alot and often). Even though the wire crushes in the door to the BYC or under the WSM, sometimes that messes up the readings, but its not the usual point of failure. Its the place where the wire connects to the probe. I start getting HHH or LLL readings and then just wiggle the connection point and it corrects itself.

Neil
01-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Go with the Nu-Temp 701 I also drop down the chimney(santa mod) and place the transmitters on a block of wood on top of the chamber box.

Stucue74
01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
dave will send ya new probes. Those probes are made to handle up to 590 degrees. After that, they toast. I found out the hard way when i used in a steak on the grill. Figured i would stick it in the side so i can flip the steak and not have to remove the probe. Well, this put the probe over the grill(and direct heat) with noting to protect it. A few mins later, the dreadded HHH. Spoke to nu temp and they dont recommend using it for grilling unless its inserted on top of the meat and away from the heat. These are food/oven thermometers, not made for temps higher than oven temps.

BTW, if your out of warrenty, a new probe is 9 bucks I think.

I didn't know the Nu-temp 701's came with a warranty? Do you know how long? I'm in the same boat.

Stucue74
01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Anybody know what the warranty on these are? I need to replace mine, thought maybe I'd get lucky, only had for about 9 months.

Bigmofo300lbs
01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
I guess I need to go with Nu-Temps! I used a Polder Dual Sensor Thermometer that I got for x-mas( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006NWAD/qid=1104863108/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-2419760-0619366?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846) ). First cook with it was yesterday. And the probe in the brisket and it worked fine for the first four hours of the cook then BAM! Said my brisket had an internal temp of 366 and my cooking temp was over 400. So I went back to another therm I been using for a bit. I unplugged/plugged in the probe a bunch times in the therm but to no avail. But from what has been written I gather this is a probe issue not a therm issue, right?

mook
01-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I habe both the Maverick, 2 probes on the remote, and the Nu-Temp 3 remotes with 1 probe each. I really like both. I have had the Maverick for about 5 years and have had no issues with the probes even after getting them caught in the door. My favorite feature on the Nu-Temp is the ability to set an alarm for low temp as well as high.

The best advice though is to make sure your batteries are fresh.

mook

Bill-Chicago
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
mook

Welcome Mr. Mook

Go to Cattle Call to introduce yourself

parrothead
01-07-2005, 10:42 AM
No problem with probes here yet. Had mine for about 6 months. Lots of door slamming and dropping on the ground. Still work like a champ.