PDA

View Full Version : General Advice for new Bandera User

camelduke
12-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Just got a new Bandera for Xmas. Is it just me, or are the basic instructions from CharBroil virtually non-existent?

I've never owned a smoker--certainly not a vertical one--so I'm just looking for some general directions/advice. I apologize in advance if these questions are dumb.
- How do you use the water pan (e.g. how full? refilling? etc)
- Am I to use a combination of charcoal AND wood in the firebox? Or just wood? Do I soak the wood, or just burn it outright?

Perhaps you could add this general information to the "Bandera 101" for us newbies? :)

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

tommykendall
12-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Welcome Duke. I'm surprised that general info isn't in the 101 file. Do your couple mods first, season the cooker, use the water pan at full level, refill when it's looking low, start with wood/charcoal, and move to wood alone if you like. Most importantly - stick around and ask questions, and also jump into the Cattle Call forum to introduce yourself.

kcquer
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
Duke, near the top of the Q-talk forum index there is a thread called "Roadmap". In that thread are links to threads that adress various introductory topics. There are links in the Roadmap to a couple threads on fire control. See if those help get you started. If not feel free to use the "PM" button at the bottom of this post to shoot me any questions you might have. Welcome and best of luck!

BigBelly
12-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Indeed, the Roadmap will steer you in the right direction for Q'ing in general. About that water pan, don't sweat it. Fill it up or half full once prior to your cooking and I doubt you will have to refill. But refill if needed for those extra long cooking sessions.

I generally start my coal ember with a full chimney's worth of charcoal, lump coal, or a combination of both. Once my coals are all grey and uber hot I pour those into the firebox, add a stick/chunk or two to get started. From there on out I strictly use wood throughout the entire cooking session. Some folks do a mixture of all three: wood, charcoal, and lump pending their conditions (weather, meat cooking, time management, etc).

Get through the Roadmap, read the 101, do your mods, and start your engines!

camelduke
12-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Guys, Thanks for the quick responses. I greatly appreciate it. I'm reading the Bandera 101 as I type this...and plan on oiling the puppy up today and got a pork shoulder to cook for New Year's Day...

Definitely some interesting mods. No time today, unfortunately...but will try them soon.

Great help. Great site. Thanks.

BBQchef33
12-31-2004, 08:34 AM
If ya can make any mods, at least do this so ya dont frustrate yourself. Get some rocks(lava rocks work well) or chunks of a brick, but anything will do. Put them under the 4 corners of the firegrate to raise the grate at least 2 inchs. You need to get some room for airflow under the coals. Unless they changed it, the existing grate sits on these stubby little legs that sit in the ashpan. You really NEED to raise that grate.

Also, a simple makeshift baffle out of heavy duty foil folded over itself a few times is easy to make. Be best if yu can get most of the heat directed UNDER the waterpan otherwise it runs straight up the side of the chamber.

and very important.. aint no dumb questions, ask what you need, its the only way to learn and we welcome the opportunity to help.!! And if its REALLY REALLY dumb we'll have some fun with ya in the process. :) Its all part of being A Brethren. :wink:

kcquer
12-31-2004, 09:37 AM
to raise the grate at least 2 inchs. You need to get some room for airflow under the coals.

Duke, you can turn the fire grate over (stubby legs up) and rotate it 90 degrees and put it on the lowest set of shelf tabs in the firebox. Definitely an interim measure but it will save you a lot of fuel and frustration to get the firegrate elevated.

Thanks kpndsl!!

Bigdog
12-31-2004, 09:56 AM
Duke, you also should buy a couple a oven thermos to moniter the verticle chamber temps. Also be sure to rotate that butt about once an hour (both turning and flipping) to get even cooking. Better yet, go buy yourself a sausage log or two (we call them fatties) and cook them on the shelf above the butt. That way in about 3 hrs. you will have the most amazing snack while you wait for the butt to finish. Good luck and welcome to the site.

frognot
12-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Duke,
Welcome aboard!

BBQchef33 & kcquer,
Thanks for the tips about the firegrate. Will lift that puppy next time.

BigAl
12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Put hot water in the water pan, it helps to get the temp in the smoke chamber up a lot faster and if you have a frozen Brisket in the smoke chamber it will take a whole lot longer to get up to cooking temp in the chamber. Fire bricks in the fire box will help the bottom from burning out.

BigBelly
01-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Duke, you can turn the fire grate over (stubby legs up) and rotate it 90 degrees and put it on the lowest set of shelf tabs in the firebox. Definitely an interim measure but it will save you a lot of fuel and frustration to get the firegrate elevated.

Thanks kpndsl!!

I do this very same trick--works great! Till I can make me a firebox cage this works great!

Bill-Chicago
01-01-2005, 08:55 AM
and plan on oiling the puppy up today .

WElcome CD

You might want to use a new paint brush and just brush on the oil. Slop it on all over.

I tried the puppy mod and all I ended up with was grease stains on the carpet whereever the damn dog laid down that night.

Glad you found us.

Jorge
01-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Guys, Thanks for the quick responses. I greatly appreciate it. I'm reading the Bandera 101 as I type this...and plan on oiling the puppy up today and got a pork shoulder to cook for New Year's Day...

Definitely some interesting mods. No time today, unfortunately...but will try them soon.

Great help. Great site. Thanks.

When it comes time to make the mods give Commercial Metals a call. They sell to the public and their prices should be a little more reasonable than Lowes or Home Depot.