PDA

View Full Version : PGBBQ Dayton in Jeopardy

cmcadams
03-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Guys, I want to just give you all a heads-up...

The last year has been tough in the Dayton area, and I was just informed that the church can't fund the event this year. However, we're pursuing a couple of other methods of obtaining the needed supplies (meat, buns, etc). I'm asking the men's group to pledge money toward the event, as well as seeking donations from businesses in the area and around Dayton.

If the men alone can average $20 a person, we're back in business. I will have a better idea early next week of where things are.

I want this event to happen, but I also want to make a call early enough to allow all of you time to adjust your schedules. There's also the opportunity, if the church can't back this, that we could do a bash in Ohio, anyway.

Any thoughts?

Whether we're able to pull this off or not, I want to be as vocal as I can be how much I love you guys that have been a part of this, whether by showing up to an event for a neighborhood in need or by backing it other ways. You've all given me a great example to hold up to others of what it means to serve something other than oneself. Whether the neighborhood showed its appreciation or not, you all have been, and hopefully will be, part of something bigger than barbecue and bigger than the group of us. You have had a real impact in that area, and people have already been asking about the event again.

I hope each of you has realized blessings from your part of serving. Roger, for one, serves not only the neighborhood, but also each of us there to help out. I'm proud to know each of you.

I think back on the last 3 years... we've had a lot of fun, I think, and we've seen some pretty cool things. The first year, a girl in dire need of help came by, and we fed her and prayed for her. She ended up being baptized the next morning, and she's still a part of the church. She's also gotten into a more stable home and has her children living with her again (fam services had placed them with relatives).

Then there was Tyler, helping build a UDS that he didn't know was his to keep. I have to think that the weekend made a lasting iimpression on him.

Harbormaster
03-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Keep us posted Curt. Joseph and I still have this on our calendar.

Also sending a PM.

BBQ Bandit
03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
You know Curt... I'll throw in.

landarc
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Curt, I can't afford to come out there to Dayton, but, I can toss in a $20 if you all decided to do that, email me the details.

chambersuac
03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Brethren, please....let's not let $ end this.
Curt, right now, I am beyond broke...but can ask some folks to chip in. I'll sell one of my WSM's and donate teh money, if it will help.

Having only been there one year, I already know how much good the event is - should be renamed, "Really a Blessing BBQ"

cmcadams
03-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Part of this needs to be the men stepping up. I appreciate the offers, and I won't turn them down, but if the men that are supposed to be putting this on won't support it, we'll have to go from there.

I think they'll step up when asked on Monday night.

Uncle Bucks BBQ
03-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Keep us posted I'll chip in whatever I can!

Neil
03-17-2011, 08:30 PM
When is this supposed to take place? In the meantime, I'll add a prayer it continues.

BBQ Bandit
03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
When is this supposed to take place? In the meantime, I'll add a prayer it continues.

Second weekend in May, Neil... following Mother's day... please join us!

Ron_L
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Curt, if you have an address or a Paypal account for donations I'm in for $20. Just let me know.

The Pigman
03-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I for one hope to be part of this again this year. It has been a very good outting these years and would hate for it to end. Everyone in every walk of life is going thru a hard time now with all the cutbacks, furloghs, closings........but these are the ones that are the ones that really need a good meal and it makes my heart happy to be able to give them just one day. To help with the costs Dan ( chambersuac ) his church is buying my grill and we are thinking of using PGB as a way of getting it to him. On sat night i will get brats and metts to go with chili for everyone there and we will cook on grill. This will help feed all in evening.

Uncle Bucks BBQ
03-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Curt might I add for an idea in the future of doing something like this for a fund raiser.....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100257

All of the tickets were sold to brethren, and sold out. Let me know I still will pitch in with money.

Wampus
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm in for a donation for sure.
I've really been looking forward to participating as well.

PM sent.

cmcadams
03-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Typically, we would have about $1000 for this, which would cover everything, especially since others have always given other money.

With the economy, tithing has been low, and it's just rough this year for everyone. With that said, the men's ministry puts this on, and it's their turn to come through. My thoughts, which are shared by Hal, one of my best friends and the pastor that is over the men's group, are that the men need to handle this to at least some level.

I'll see what the pledges are on Monday to help out. If they seem to respond, then we're all good. If not, we might be able to figure something else to do. I have another group that serves a similar neighborhood that would likely be more able to support us with kitchen, volunteers, etc., which have been a struggle the last couple of years at the Vineyard.

42BBQ
03-18-2011, 03:16 AM
hope this can still kick off. Good luck, will be thinking of y'all out in Ohio

cmcadams
03-18-2011, 06:39 AM
I figure this is done for a good reason, and I'm letting God take care of it. If it's supposed to happen, then it will. :)

cmcadams
03-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Ok... here's an update:

We're still working on money... and I'll have a definitive answer this afternoon. We're trying to ensure that everyone gets a chance to chime in from the men's ministry before making a decision.

Wampus
03-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Did you have a decent response from the men's ministry last night? Do they 'get it'?

cmcadams
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm disappointed to announce...

The 2011 Pretty Good BBQ is called off.

We tried... we gave the event to God, and He decided not to have it this year.

The upside is that you all won't be spending several hundred dollars just to get here and back home with the gas prices going up. The downside is much bigger than that to me.

My promise to you all is that the event will be in the budget for next year, as the men's ministry is now allotted a set amount of money, which will be split between this and another event we do in the fall.

In fact, I invite you all to come out to the fall event, a weekend we call Bootcamp. If you'd like to go to a great Christian men's weekend in October in Ohio, let me know.

I really thank each person that was willing to help with this event. There are a couple of things prompting calling it off for this year... gas prices are horrible, and I don't want to have you all come down here only to find we can't do the event justice. I couldn't wait any longer, as I want you all to have the opportunity to do other things, whether it's a competition, catering, or maybe spending that time and money you would have coming here on your family or community instead.

I'm thinking as I'm typing... How about we all agree to do this the weekend of May 14-15... Smoke a few pork butts and take that meat, along with sauce and buns, to a local shelter or community outreach to feed people a little piece of the Pretty Good BBQ... Anyone up for doing that?

BBQ Bandit
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Curt - What needs to happen to continue?

bbqbull
03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Sorry this event isn't going to happen this spring.
I was doing the fuel math in my head, would cost me over $400 buck in diesel fuel round trip.
The weekend you made mention of I already doing other volunteer work.

bobaftt
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Hate to hear that! I had a blast cooking for all those folks and meeting everyone.

chambersuac
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
This hurts my heart.

cmcadams
03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
What would need to happen is for a group of men at the church to step up more. Some guys did, others weren't in a position to do so right now. It's just a tough time, and an event like this is expensive. Gas is going to be even more expensive then, from what I've heard, so it will cost even more for everyone to get here.

It's not the end of the PGBBQ... I'm asking you all to just wait another year. We expected the budget to hold up better, and we would have had enough for everything.

I'm saying let's just do another form of the event. Unfortunately, we don't all get to be in the same town, but we can all cook and give it to those that need it.

Or you can all come to Ohio, and we'll just get together for a bash.. I'm up for that, too.