PDA

View Full Version : Ique 110 & UDS Brisket (Pron)

smokeyw
03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Got to try out my new Ique 110 last night using the UDS and smoking a brisket. This thing does everything they advertise and does it well. I set it at 9:30 last night and put the brisket on at 10:00. I wrapped at 4:30 AM when the internal temperature hit 165. The Maverick remote beside the bed went off to let me know it was there. By 7:30 AM I had separated the flat from the point. The flat was wrapped and put in a cooler and the burnt ends went back in the UDS for 3 more hours. The ique 110 maintained temps better than I had hoped for. It did not vary over about 5 degrees either way. A great investment for the money.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2056.jpg
My UDS with the ique in a homemade weatherproof box.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2055.jpg
The ique 110
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2053.jpg
Temps locked in
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2015.jpg
13.5 Lb. Packer from Sams
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2020.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2021.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2024.jpg
A little fat trimmed off
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2052.jpg
The flat
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2051.jpg
Sliced up
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/smokeyws/Ique%20110%20Brisket/Brisket2054.jpg
Candy
An overall success. I would highly reccomend the ique 110 to anyone who has a need to control the temperature of the smoker. There are more sophisticated units on the market but this thing can't be beat for the money. It performed beautifully!!!

wormdrink67
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
sweet!!

inv3ctiv3
03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Looks so good!

firemedic
03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Man that's some good looking que. I've been looking at the major players for my SUPER UDS I'm building out of a 100 gallon propane tank and had been leaning toward the Ique, you have convinced me it's the way to go. Are you using the 1" connector? How solid is the connection? Sorry it's a little off topic.

smokeyw
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
I am using the 1" connector. I used a 3/4" to 1" reducer. The 1" hose barb they send is plastic but it is plenty solid.

Man that's some good looking que. I've been looking at the major players for my SUPER UDS I'm building out of a 100 gallon propane tank and had been leaning toward the Ique, you have convinced me it's the way to go. Are you using the 1" connector? How solid is the connection? Sorry it's a little off topic.

Bigmista
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Looking at getting one of those myself. Great to see it working for someone we know.

BBQ_MAFIA
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Tastty looking brisket.

I'm glad the IQ 110 worked out for you.

HOG WILD BBQ
03-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Looking good

garyk1398
03-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Nice job and thanks for posting the pron!

swamprb
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice setup! Do you use anything to keep the remote trasmitter dry?

smokeyw
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I will put the remote transmitter in the same box the ique 110 is in if the weather looks bad.

Nice setup! Do you use anything to keep the remote trasmitter dry?

Chef Jim
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Nice setup. I've been watching the reviews on the 110. Just might have to spring for one.

Johnny_Crunch
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Nice looking brisket, do those blowers use more fuel than natural venting?

smokeyw
03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
This was my first time using the blower but I can't tell any difference in fuel consumption. I went for 12 hours on this one and had almost half a basket of charcoal left. It only blows enough to maintain the set temperature. I don't think that is any different from making intake adjustments to maintain the same temperature.

Nice looking brisket, do those blowers use more fuel than natural venting?

Downtown Smokeout
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I've been waiting for a solid review. Ordering one this week! Thanks for the info smokeyw.

jimithing78
03-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the review, I've been eying one of these as well. I see you have the temp probe coming through the top vent. The demo video I've seen wants the sensor right in the middle of the top cooking grate. How do you accomplish this while still having your meat fit in there?

smokeyw
03-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Ahhh, good eye. First of all, I don't like to run the probe through the lid. It is annoying when you take the lid off to do anything. I have a small hole for the Maverick remote probes to go through on the side of the drum but the ique probe with the alligator clip would not go through that hole from either end so I just ran it through the lid. I also was not able to clip the probe in the center due to the large brisket. I had to clip it to the side a little bit. When I cook butts, I usually cook three of them and then the probe will clip directly in the center. I have found that the drum is hotter right in the center than it is off to the sides. In this cook, I started at 225 but later set at 200 to allow for the probe being clipped to one side. It worked fine. I will make changes to the drum so that I don't have to run the probe through the lid.

Thanks for the review, I've been eying one of these as well. I see you have the temp probe coming through the top vent. The demo video I've seen wants the sensor right in the middle of the top cooking grate. How do you accomplish this while still having your meat fit in there?

jimithing78
03-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Ahhh, good eye. First of all, I don't like to run the probe through the lid. It is annoying when you take the lid off to do anything. I have a small hole for the Maverick remote probes to go through on the side of the drum but the ique probe with the alligator clip would not go through that hole from either end so I just ran it through the lid. I also was not able to clip the probe in the center due to the large brisket. I had to clip it to the side a little bit. When I cook butts, I usually cook three of them and then the probe will clip directly in the center. I have found that the drum is hotter right in the center than it is off to the sides. In this cook, I started at 225 but later set at 200 to allow for the probe being clipped to one side. It worked fine. I will make changes to the drum so that I don't have to run the probe through the lid.

Thanks for the quick response :thumb:

One more small question. Do you clip right to the grate? Does clipping to the grate (as opposed to it floating in the air) give you accurate temp readings?

smokeyw
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I did clip directly to the grate. It worked just fine. The Maverick remote was right in line with the setting dialed in the iQue (as long sa the two probes were in close proximity). In my experimenting, I have to say that I am a little bit surprised at how much temperature variance there can be within the UDS. However, when I think about it, it makes sense. The drum is about 23" diameter inside and my charcoal basket is 14" diameter and centered. It is also likely at some time during the cooking process that the actual fire in the basket is burning on one side. It doesn't seem to make a differnce in the end product.

Thanks for the quick response :thumb:

One more small question. Do you clip right to the grate? Does clipping to the grate (as opposed to it floating in the air) give you accurate temp readings?

EatRBBQ
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
All looks good...
Your UDS looks well designed and built.

I guess my only confusion/question would be... Why? The UDS looks well designed, why would you need a digital air flow control of any sort?

IMHO the UDS are plenty easy to control without any mechanical or electrical assistance. It just seems like over kill.

Not trying to be too critical... but have you used the UDS without the gadjets?

smokeyw
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I know exactly what you are saying. I have used the UDS several times without any flow control or gadgets and it does very well once you get it set. However, it seems to need a little valve tweak or basket shake at around 6 to 8 hours. The iQue eliminates that and allows me to sleep with peace of mind. If I were going to cook in the daytime only I probably would not have considered it. I am also planning to cook some competitions using a vertical smoker and will use it on that. I love the UDS and it cooks great without any gadgets, but it is even better with this one hooked to it.

All looks good...
Your UDS looks well designed and built.

I guess my only confusion/question would be... Why? The UDS looks well designed, why would you need a digital air flow control of any sort?

IMHO the UDS are plenty easy to control without any mechanical or electrical assistance. It just seems like over kill.

Not trying to be too critical... but have you used the UDS without the gadjets?

Strike BBQ
03-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I like the rain box to protect the IQ 110. I will have to make me one

Black Dog BBQ
03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
That is one clean looking rig! Thanks for the info I might have to order one of those.

sfbbqguy
03-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I like the rain box to protect the IQ 110. I will have to make me one

Yeah, me too...and the way things are right now in Nor. Cal. that's the only way we're going to be doing any que...farking rain is driving me BATTY!

May have to look into the 110 that brisky looks damn nice.

TomB
03-20-2011, 05:10 AM
You sold me on the IQ 110 for night cooks on my WSM.

esselle
03-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the review. Can't wait to pick mine up next month.

firehoser
03-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Awesome setup there! I'm very impressed with your rain box. I recently purchased the IQ for my UDS and kettle and have had excellent results. I do have concerns about keeping the IQ dry. Care to share the specs/build on the rain box?

expatpig
03-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Just a tip smokeyw, where you are running your probe wires, I use "gladhand" washers, they are used to seal the airline connections between a tractor and semi-trailer. They are silicon rubber and will withstand the heat. You need to get the style with the flaps. They should be available at any truckstop. I can run at least three wires through one and it seals around them great.

smokeyw
03-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip. We have several large truckstops in the area and I will check on it.

Just a tip smokeyw, where you are running your probe wires, I use "gladhand" washers, they are used to seal the airline connections between a tractor and semi-trailer. They are silicon rubber and will withstand the heat. You need to get the style with the flaps. They should be available at any truckstop. I can run at least three wires through one and it seals around them great.

smokeyw
03-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the rain box. They are very simple to build and work well :thumb: http://www.pitmasteriq.com/Projects.html

Awesome setup there! I'm very impressed with your rain box. I recently purchased the IQ for my UDS and kettle and have had excellent results. I do have concerns about keeping the IQ dry. Care to share the specs/build on the rain box?

daveinwestmont
04-16-2011, 09:30 AM
WOW on the brisket!!!!!! I just got my UDS last weekend and it looks like I'm buying a Ique 110 this weekend!!!! How much charcoal or lump did you ignite prior to closing everything up and letting the Ique 110 to do it's thing?

thechinaman
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Smokey, I noticed that your valve is closed all the way. Do you close all of the bottom vents and just provide air via the iQue or do you use some other combo of open vents + ique?