PDA

View Full Version : UDS quick question

yobtaf
03-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Throwing some spares on for the first time on the UDS. Seasoned it yesterday with a fatty. As a novice should I use the bottom grate and flat lid, or top grate and weber lid?
TIA

dataz722
03-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Do you have a weber lid that fits tightly? It doesn't really matter which grate you use as long as you know the temp at that grate.

yobtaf
03-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Do you have a weber lid that fits tightly? It doesn't really matter which grate you use as long as you know the temp at that grate.

The weber fits nice, but the flat has the ring that makes it really tight. Thought maybe getting it up away from the heat might be better for my first attempt but I really like how the flat lid seals up so nice.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc247/yobtaf68/IMG_8953.jpg

firemedic
03-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I've been using my UDS for two years and I find that the flat lid seals better (for me at least-my knockoff Weber lid is kinda oval shaped) so it seems to keep temps a little more stable. Most guys have added the dome lid to get more cooking space. If you can do it with the flat lid I'd say go for it!

firemedic
03-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't forget the pics whichever way you decide :biggrin1:

Blackened
03-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't use a Weber lid as one doesn't fit correctly on my drum without mods, and I love the snug fit of my flat lid. If your Weber lid fits properly I would think ideally the top rack would be best as it's that much further from the fire basket.

Captain Dave
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
The lower the grate you use the more it is subjected to the direct heat of the fire. That can cause a stringyness with things like brisket but i think you'll be ok either way with a fatty. Dont forget that the tighter your drum is, the better temperature control you will have.

yobtaf
03-13-2011, 01:28 PM
well I put the ribs on the lower grate, I just like how well it seals up with that ring on. I got the temp settled in at 225° and I guess its beginners luck, its been that way for almost 2 hours. This is why I built this thing, so many of you guys said how well they work and hold temps and it did the same thing yesterday when I seasoned it with the fatty. Im going to throw on some chicken in a couple hours.

Blackened
03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
well I put the ribs on the lower grate, I just like how well it seals up with that ring on. I got the temp settled in at 225° and I guess its beginners luck, its been that way for almost 2 hours. This is why I built this thing, so many of you guys said how well they work and hold temps and it did the same thing yesterday when I seasoned it with the fatty. Im going to throw on some chicken in a couple hours.

My drum loves to cruise at about 250. The secret is to catch the temp on the way up and don't open the lid unless you have to, and when you do get in and out as fast as possible to prevent flare-ups which cause temperature spikes. Enjoy!

firemedic
03-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Not trying to hijack here but what part of AV do you live in? I went to high school there but live in orange county now. My family is still in apple valley though.

yobtaf
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Not trying to hijack here but what part of AV do you live in? I went to high school there but live in orange county now. My family is still in apple valley though.

kiowa and tussing ranch area.

firemedic
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow that's right by my parents place. Right off Navajo between tussing ranch and ocotillo. I dig your name, took me a minute to get it.