PDA

View Full Version : Accessories for Big Green Egg

TedW
03-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Well, I've completed my BGE table and need a few accessories. Specifically the Grill Extender and a Baking (pizza) stone. My local BGE dealer doesn't stock these.

Is there an online source for these accessories that people here use? I understand the Baking stone is a generic product. Maybe I should just pick one up locally.

Thanks

eggzlot
03-11-2011, 10:51 AM
be careful with the baking stone, the Egg gets really hot! I would suggest something at least 1/2'' thick if not thicker. Most cheap ones from Department stores or Wallys World will crack after one use. The Egg one is 5/8'' thick and can withstand the heat. Do not go too cheap here, you'll regret it.

Fred's Music and BBQ is a store out in PA but they have a website with lots of Egg Accessories if your local dealer does not stock these items. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ -- I am sure Amazon has some stuff too.

Also look at the Ceramic Grill Store - http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ - Tom makes custom rigs specific for the Eggs - the Adjustible Rig for the Large or XL are very popular. They can help with indirect cooks, multiple layer cooks, etc. The Adjustable Rig with his Pizza stone would help you with both things (grill extender plus baking stone) but also allow for indirect cooks for smoking and give you even more surface area for cooks/smoking. Would cost a bit more, but would give you a lot of versatility for various types of cooking needs.

Downtown Smokeout
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Target has pizza stones that are made for the grill. Comes with a giant metal spatula too. Not sure why you would flip a pizza over, but it's the main reason I bought another pizza stone. :rolleyes:

TedW
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Got ya. I'll go local with the Pizza stone then. Any suggestion as to where to get the Grill Extender?

deepsouth
03-11-2011, 10:57 AM
i'd look at the stuff from ceramicgrillstore.com before going with the extender..

kyle corn
03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
If you're looking to do pizza, I think it's generally suggested you need to add more ceramic mass than the stone alone will provide. The BGE plate setter is the elegant way to do this and it will also elevate your cooking grid so you can put on and remove your pizza easily. You can also do something similar with some cheap firebricks.

Just place your stone on top of these bricks and you have a cheap and easy DIY pizza setup for your BGE. :thumb:

http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbac2.jpg

TedW
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a Plate Setter and was going to use it in the inverted fashion + the Pizza Stone. Just as they show on the BGE video. This is the way to go?

Deepsouth, I'll check out that site. Sounds like you're not a fan of the Grill Extender. You must be referring to their "Adjustable Rig?"

1_T_Scot
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi Ted, I use the Placesetter with the flat side up. I have some 3/4" spacers to give an airgap under the pizza stone. Works great.

deepsouth
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a Plate Setter and was going to use it in the inverted fashion + the Pizza Stone. Just as they show on the BGE video. This is the way to go?

Deepsouth, I'll check out that site. Sounds like you're not a fan of the Grill Extender. You must be referring to their "Adjustable Rig?"

i have both the grill extender and the a/r and i'm not even sure i can put my hands on the grill ext. anymore.

TedW
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
deepsouth you have my complete attention here. What do you mostly use the A/R for?

1T Scot you like an air gap between the Plate Setter and the Pizza stone? I would have thought it was better to have no gap, but I'm certainly no expert...

Midnight Smoke
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Air gap would give better air (heat) flow, this can help prevent burning the crust. FWIW, I would be sure to get a nice BRASS grill brush for the Cooking grate too.

TedW
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Wow those guys have some serious gear they've built! Right up my alley. It's just a matter of what the heck to get! Some of the items seem very similar

chikenskin
03-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I use my plate setter flat side up then put the "legs" that came with the egg on top of the plate setter then set the pizza stone on the legs. it makes a perfect air gap.

TedW
03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Another vote for the air gap. Interesting.

TedW
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
That CeramicGrilleStore really has some attractive products. Just a matter of what to get from them...

deepsouth
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
That CeramicGrilleStore really has some attractive products. Just a matter of what to get from them...

where to begin..... i have the adjustable rig with spider combo with the oval stone and the 10" cast iron grid.

the adj. rig has three different settings with a slightly smaller grate that fits on the bars. the original grate that comes with your egg fits on top.
the "spider" can be used in conjunction with any 10" grate, but like the cast iron because it makes nice sear marks. you can flip the spider over and put the grate further up in the grill, but below where the grate sits on the fire box ring (or whatever it's called).

with the spider low, i sear things such as steaks and tri-tip and then drop the rig in and put the steak higher in the dome to bring them up to temp. flipped around, the spider holds a wok perfectly to wok in you egg.

the a/r basically gives you multipe cooking levels. since i got my rig, i haven't the fist time cooked on the egg as it comes stock.

feel free to look through these pictures to see how i use it.....

http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/deepsouth1970/

i thought about it long and hard before i bought it as i couldn't get my head around how to use it, but once i got it out the box, it was pretty clear and simple.

i have since bought the small woo for my small egg and will be adding a mini-woo for my mini.

i can't really say enough good things about all that stuff.

TedW
03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
What a great reply! Lemme read through and process. I like the Adj Rig and can put my stock BGE grate on the top, but would need at least one of their grates to go in the middle somewhere.

Maybe I could leave my grate in place on the bottom and use one of theirs for the top. I don't know but I'm looking at all of this right now.

Thanks again!!

deepsouth
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
What a great reply! Lemme read through and process. I like the Adj Rig and can put my stock BGE grate on the top, but would need at least one of their grates to go in the middle somewhere.

Maybe I could leave my grate in place on the bottom and use one of theirs for the top. I don't know but I'm looking at all of this right now.

Thanks again!!

anytime!

the adjustable rig/spider combo comes with the rig, the extra grate adn the spider. you have to get the ci grid from somewhere besides tom as he doesn't sell them. i got mine from our egg dealer down here.

Groundhog66
03-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I use my plate setter flat side up then put the "legs" that came with the egg on top of the plate setter then set the pizza stone on the legs. it makes a perfect air gap.

Yup, this is what I do. And I would get the BGE pizza stone, really good quality.

TedW
03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
I'll have to get started and see what I need. The various options are all a blur at this point, but I'm sure they'll make sense once I start using the Egg and see the need firsthand.

So you guys are placing the egg straight on a table without the three little fet? Is that what youre meaning? I have a table built with a stone base

h20loo
03-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Ted- when you get time, we'd love to see your table

TedW
03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
The Cedar came out very nice. Putting an epoxy coating on it this AM for durability. Then marine spar varnish for UV protection. I'll get some pics to share. Very excited to grill something after I break it in

anamosity
03-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I would look at a Restaurant Supply store. You might have one in your area.
That is where I got my Pizza Stone from. It is 5/8 thick, have taken it up over 600 degrees many times and its still in great shape. I think I paid 25 bucks for it.
I use that in conjunction with the plate setter and the little green feet to separate the PS and the Stone.

Twisted Martini
03-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I bought the Woo ring and pizza stone from Ceramic grill store to use instead of the plate setter and have been real happy with both, although my stone is black now from one cook when i left it uncovered. I also got the additional grate extender, but to be honest i have only used it once. I just don't cook that much food (although doing a ton of thighs today so i might).

The thirdhand grid lifter is a must have as well, i can pick up my cast iron grate with food on it without a problem.

I also have a good pair of welding gloves that i can use to pick up the grate and stone at temp if need be for refueling. Finally, i have a good mapp gas torch too.

deepsouth
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
second the mapp gas torch. wouldn't want to be without that now.

the thridhand grid lifter sounds interesting. i've got to check that out.

stuworld
03-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Yup, this is what I do. And I would get the BGE pizza stone, really good quality.

This is how I do it too. I've seen some people on the egghead forum also recommend the plate setter legs up, grid, feet, stone.

CGS is great. I got a raised grid from them and love it. If I didn't get a bunch of eggcessories from my dealer, I probably would have gotten the rig too.

AZScott
03-12-2011, 01:21 PM
The BGE pizza stone and plate setter are accessories for firing ceramics in a kiln. It will not crack and is made to go to much higher temps that what the egg will go.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/KilnFurniture/kilnshelves.htm

Another option for a raised grid is to buy another grid and then put 3-4 long bolts on it and attach nuts and washers to it. It will be sturdy enough and it will work perfectly.

Groundhog66
03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Another option for a raised grid is to buy another grid and then put 3-4 long bolts on it and attach nuts and washers to it. It will be sturdy enough and it will work perfectly.

That is what I did, get the job done for a few bucks.

TedW
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Anyone using the BGE brand table cover? My table is close to completion. Just wondering about a cover

stuworld
03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I have the vented cover. Works great, but I stopped using it after I removed it one day and a snake was greeting me underneath. Ribs got done a little late that day as this guy had no intentions of leaving it's new home without some encouragement.

It was probably my fault for leaving in a dirty drip pan from a cook a couple of days before. He was probably waiting for whatever he thought was living inside.

TedW
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Looking for a cover without a snake... :-P

I imagine there are different covers and quality

stuworld
03-15-2011, 01:21 PM
The BGE one is definitely nice. The egg can still be pretty warm when you cover it too. No need to wait for complete cooldown.

TedW
03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Good to know. I'm sure the BGE cover isn't cheap.. I was hoping that there might be someone making these with high (or higher) quality for less.

TedW
03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Well I'm breaking this in at a steady 400. After an hour of mind blowingly stable temp maintenance I threw on some leg quarters.

Anyway I've decided i'd like the grill level with the base. And a heavier cast grill for mass. I guess a spider or rig.

Also is there a heavier cleanout bottom/ ash door with screen assembly available? That seems like a great potential upgrade

TedW
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Also per a couple other threads I've been mooching, I started the fire with both Map gas and oiled newspaper. What a blast. I wanted to douse the flame and start the fire all over again.

The table is very sweet. Using BGE charcoal. Need a source for the good stuff.

Also need a new thermomete. Longer probe that reacts faster and closer to the action.

TedW
03-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Also some fire gloves/ mit. Fashionable ones...

Brauma
03-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I have a spider rig from ceramic grill store and it's great. But what I use on every cook is my ThirdEye grate tool and wiggle rod. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

I also use a weed burner to get the show on the road.

TedW
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I have to actually go and see what a weed burner is. Seems everyones hot for them.

That grill tool looks very sweet and functional. So does that big grill in the pics. That's what im talking about!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
03-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Target has pizza stones that are made for the grill. Comes with a giant metal spatula too. Not sure why you would flip a pizza over, but it's the main reason I bought another pizza stone. :rolleyes:

That's a pizza peel. It's for taking pizza on and off the grill/oven.

TedW
03-18-2011, 10:41 PM
A pizza stone is definately on the list. Im also anxious to try baking.

deepsouth
03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
I have to actually go and see what a weed burner is. Seems everyones hot for them.

That grill tool looks very sweet and functional. So does that big grill in the pics. That's what im talking about!

if you are using mapp gas, you're good. no real need for a weedburner unless you want multiple options. and those large bottles of mapp gas seem to last forever. i'm still on my first one. i have a second one for backup though.