PDA

View Full Version : Rib Rub

Smokin Ribs
03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I always like to experiment with different kinds of rubs for my ribs. I would like to hear from you more experienced bbq'ers on some of your rub recipes..

RedPig
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
What profile are you looking for? Try some of the bretherns rubs you can find here. If you are just starting out I would keep things simple and definitely keep notes. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their 'secret' rub, especially a very good one. Look around and I'm sure you'll find one that appeals to your taste buds.

landarc
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Bob's Base Rub
3 parts medium grind white pepper
2 parts medium grind black pepper
2 parts Kosher Salt
1/4 part powdered mustard
1/4 part chile powder
1/4 part citrus peel
1/8 part fresh ground nutmeg

I use this rub on most everything I cook, I use a little when I am using another rub, like Simply Marvelous, or more when I am just using this rub. Bigabyte disagrees with my use of the dry mustard, and he has me questioning my use of it. But, I have always used it, so there you go. It also works great as a base that I add Todd's Dirt to, for chicken and pork roasts.

I prefer Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt as the grain shape and size is perfect. The pepper must be ground fresh for best effect.

jestridge
03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I usually use the Lawery or the McCormick pork rub and I might add some chili power and extra cummin and paprika then again slat and pepper work good

Wampus
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Bob's Base Rub
3 parts medium grind white pepper
2 parts medium grind black pepper
2 parts Kosher Salt
1/4 part powdered mustard
1/4 part chile powder
1/4 part citrus peel
1/8 part fresh ground nutmeg

I use this rub on most everything I cook, I use a little when I am using another rub, like Simply Marvelous, or more when I am just using this rub. Bigabyte disagrees with my use of the dry mustard, and he has me questioning my use of it. But, I have always used it, so there you go. It also works great as a base that I add Todd's Dirt to, for chicken and pork roasts.

I prefer Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt as the grain shape and size is perfect. The pepper must be ground fresh for best effect.

Curious what Chris's objection to the dried mustard? And if it's made you question it, must be a good reason......

:confused:

thedirtman
03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I prefer my Bayou DIRT for ribs and Plowboys Yardbird

Wampus
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
HEY NEIGHBOR!!!!

Just caught that you're from our blessed HOOSIER state!
"Kokomo, we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow."

....sorry.......wrong Kokomo.

ANYWAY.....regarding rib rubs.....

Other than Simply Marvelous or Plowboy's (the two Brethren rubs that I'm failthful to), I make up a lot of KCQer's rub, out of the Brethren Cookbook. Here's THAT recipe:

KC's Rub
Recipe Number: 105
Contributor: kcquer
Serves: 4 racks of ribs or a couple br

Ingredients:

1/2 c Brown Sugar (sifted) -- for brisket reduce to 1/4 c
2 tbsp hickory salt
1 tbsp celery salt
2 tbsp Accent
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
Cooking Instructions:Combine all. Rub. This rub will work on anything, but is especially good on pork. Heat on this rub is quite mild. Substitute 2Tbsp of Tony C's (or Tony C's extra spice) for 1 Tbsp of the hickory salt and 1 Tbsp of the Accent to "kick it up a notch" OR Add 1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper.

I love this rub. The only thing I've changed (started as necessity as I couldn't find hickory salt at local stores) was to change the hickory salt to hickory flavored bacon salt:
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/wampusbbq/Miscellaneous/51OSM8HC2L__SL500_AA300_PIbundle-3TopRight00_AA300_SH20_.jpg
....which is a GREAT product and really makes this rub YUMMY!

The only other thing (as suggested by KC himself) is to add 1 tsp of cayenne for a little back end heat. It only adds a little heat. My wife and kids still like it, and they don't do heat.

Hope that helps!

Lake Dogs
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
As a starting point, it's going to be awefully tough to beat Plowboy's Yardbird.

Ends up (I tried Plowboy's AFTER coming up with mine) mine tastes very similar,
perhaps ever-so-slightly less salty...

There are literally thousands of great rub recipes around. From experience, now
able to look back at my mistakes and learn from them, I suggest that you start with
a book, perhaps 2, gather a bunch of on-line recipes (you'll find tons right here),
and then start, and when you do, start SIMPLE. My first few runs had about 12
different spices in them, and frankly, for my palate they were WAY too complex.
Someone once wrote "start with a simple rub of just salt and pepper and work your
way from there". I think if I'd have done that it would've save a lot of time and
avoided many a skunky (or semi-skunky) rub.

For example, careful with using and the amounts that you use of things like celery
seeds, mustard (ground, etc), onion or garlic powder's, etc. They can get very
dominant and throw it off, fast.

You'll notice that the rub above has only 7 things in it, and hopefully they've balanced
them. That's about the right number of ingredients. Any more and they start
fighting with one another in your mouth, and it's not good.

Also, know that the flavors in your rub can (and often do) compete and conflict badly
with the flavors in your injection(s) and/or sauce(s). They should work in conjunction
with one another; marry if you will. This takes time and trial and error. Patience.

landarc
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Chris and I have had some discussion regarding his experiments with cooking individual rub ingredients and testing the effect they had in terms of taste when cooked. I have never done these tests, and, since he has, I am willing to consider he may have an experienced point of view that I do not have. I learn nothing if I close my mind to something I have not tested for myself.

That being said, the use of dry mustard in seasonings is nothing new, thus, I am not convinced either way. So I use it, and will test it someday.

Big slick
03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I like to use a Memphis rub on my ribs

Brown Sugar
Sugar
Paprika
Dried Mustard
salt
pepper
garlic powder

Sorry i don't know amounts. I just eyeball it.

millsy
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I have used this for the past few cooks

smokstaclightning
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I use Nuttin Butt Luv rub. It is a local rub out of Memphis,TN. The only problem is when you find it buy all you can.(kolo) it is good!

Smokin Ribs
03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
thanks everyone!! Wampus, is that thing real?

BlueHowler
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't remember where I found this rub recipe but it is real good. If I want a kick I sub some ground chile powder for one Table spoon of the paprika.

2 Tb. garlic powder
2 Tb. paprika
2 Tb. brown sugar
2 Tb. salt
2 Tb. coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. dry mustard
Mix all ingredients well.

jestridge
03-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Most rubs have the same things in them . they charge a high price and name it some silly name . But I suppose that why we have thousands rubs out there

bobaftt
03-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I think simply marvelous spicy apple is the stuff on ribs. I rub them pretty heavily with brown sugar when I foil them but ymmv

biggs98
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
I like Ribbit Rib Rub by TastyLicks

maelstrom
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I was looking at KC's Rub ingredients, is there a good replacement for accent/msg? Also would kosher salt or sea salt work in place of celery salt?

SmokinAussie
06-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Foil hat

Nickos
06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I was looking at KC's Rub ingredients, is there a good replacement for accent/msg? Also would kosher salt or sea salt work in place of celery salt?
no salt can replace celery salt, get it, its cheap enough

big brother smoke
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I like Simply Marvelous personally!:icon_blush:

RevZiLLa
06-02-2011, 02:36 AM
I don't remember where I found this rub recipe but it is real good. If I want a kick I sub some ground chile powder for one Table spoon of the paprika.

2 Tb. garlic powder
2 Tb. paprika
2 Tb. brown sugar
2 Tb. salt
2 Tb. coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. dry mustard
Mix all ingredients well.

Thanks! I had not thought of allspice. It adds brightness and depth to meats:thumb:

beerguy
06-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I cant say enough about 3EYZ rub. Dan is a brother here, and has a great product.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75280

Simply Marvelous is also fantastic. Love the Cherry on ribs.

JustBob
06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree with Lake Dogs. The secret is balance. Can't have to much of any one item. The tough part is finding how much of each item. Also, what is the age of the spices. If they are old, they can have a different amount of flavor.

We used to us a mix of commercial all ready blended spices. We changed a few months ago and now use all different spices. Except last weekend, we felt our rub didn't have enough character (heat), so we added some Memphis Blues City Cafe's rub. It really helped. Also, we believe in spreading brown sugar over the rub.

We are still learning how to judge the tast is effected by the different spices and brown sugar. At the present time we are using 14 different spices in our rub for pork and chicken. Our beef rub is similar but we use more pepper and less red chili powder.

Sorry to be so late to add an opinion.

Rock48nj
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I recently tweaked my rub a bit… cut out paprika completely, used to use a mix of Hungarian. I have also added brown sugar instead of just using turbinado. I salt before I apply the rub.

2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons Ancho powder
3 tablespoons Chipotle powder
3 tablespoons Guajillo powder
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano (I just grind up in my hand before adding)
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon celery seed