PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Que

Bigmista
12-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Well it's Christmas eve morning and I've volunteer to smoke a brisket and a turkey for Christmas. Should be a nice leisurely day. The temp outside was in the fifties when I went out to start my fire. Once my chimney was started, I went to work on my brisket. I took it out of the fridge at 4am to get it up to room temp...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_packed.jpg

Then I unpacked it so I could get a good look at what I bought...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_unpacked.jpg

I decided it had too much fat on it so I trimmed 1 3/4 lbs. of it off...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_trimmed.jpg

I put it on the smoker at 7am. I will give updates during the day to let you know how it's going.

What are YOU smoking today?

Then I slathered it and rubbed it...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_rubbed.jpg

BigBelly
12-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Fark! I am stuck at work today from 0700-2300 EST! However, I got my Blues Hog order so the next day off I am cooking chicken thighs, ribs, and a brisket.

Keep us posted!

Bigmista
12-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Sweet! Sounds like you are going to have a ball!

Samichlaus
12-24-2004, 11:10 AM
I'm off to my girlfriends mother's house. They're full on Krauts. So German food tonight. She always puts on a good spread. Sauerbraten, wienerschnitzel, homemade Spätzle, red cabbage, potato pancakes, applesauce. & Plenty off beer & shots! :-)

Bigmista
12-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Don't piss off dad. Hate to see you come home without YOUR Wienerschnitzel!

hornbri
12-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Let us know how it goes.

I am going to smoke one tomorrow.

Samichlaus
12-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Screw 'em. I'm still pissed they bombed Pearl Harbor.

racer_81
12-24-2004, 01:24 PM

Screw 'em. I'm still pissed they bombed Pearl Harbor.

John Blutarsky Mod

BBQchef33
12-24-2004, 03:13 PM
No smoke here.. Sorry guys.

Tomato and mozerrella with prosciutto, Crab legs and shrimp and scallops fra diavlo over Ravioli , Chateau Briand and chocolate mouse with chamboard.

oh.... and a tray of meatballs.

merry christmas everyone!!!!

ckkphoto
12-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Dang Phil, I'm coming to your house for dinner!!!!

I'm smoking a turkey. Gotta rub it today, and inject it, then tomorrow yumsville.
Garlic mashed potatoes. Alcohol.

Samichlaus
12-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Phil's dinner sounds amazing.

tommykendall
12-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Phil's dinner sounds amazing.

It is. His gas is astounding.

mook
12-24-2004, 06:25 PM
I am going to smoke one tomorrow.

Just one?
:wink:

hornbri
12-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Just one?

Actually had to go to 4 different grocery stores but ended up getting 2 flats for tomorrow. It will be a merry x-mas.

Bigmista
12-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Update,

Here is a pic of the brisket after 3 hours at 155°...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_3hours.jpg

After about 7 hours I hit 170°, so I sprayed it in apple juice wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven till it hit 195°...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_brisket_sprayed.jpg

Sorry I don't have a finished pic. I wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler. It's for dinner tomorrow.

Next I started on the turkey. Here is a pic of that bad boy all rubbed up!

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_turkey_rubbed.jpg

Thigh temp is about 140° right now. Gonna pull it off at about 185°.

Mista

colt45
12-25-2004, 07:55 AM
so... its 9:00 AM Christmas morning (merry christmas btw)... is your charcoal started yet???

tommykendall
12-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Yes - I lit the WSM at 6:10 AM Pacific. Brisket is on. Merry Xmas all.

Jorge
12-25-2004, 09:02 AM
A balmy 31 in San Antonio right now. Got up early and started a couple of fatties for breakfast. Smoking some chicken breasts and skirt steak for taco salad at lunch. Will ad a stuffed pork loin later, and then two beef tenderloins for X-mas dinner tonight. So the rest of the day consists of my stretching out on the couch, eating, drinking beer, watching football, tending fire, and scratching myself, and drinking beer. Life is good!

colt45
12-25-2004, 09:13 AM
ha... nice jorge... pretty chilly here in NY too... turkey is on the Kettle cooking for tonights dinner at a relatives house... that is all I am doing today... people ask why do you want to go out in the cold and cook on christmas??? I say cause I want to things I LIKE TO DO on Chrismas...:)

josh

tommykendall
12-25-2004, 09:32 AM
So the rest of the day consists of my stretching out on the couch, eating, drinking beer, watching football, tending fire, and scratching myself, and drinking beer

Hey Jorge - let's not forget scratching yourself... :shock:

Bigmista
12-25-2004, 10:05 AM
BRisket is done, Turkey is done, and I'm finishing up a Turkey & Spinach Omelet that I made for me and MrsMista this morning. Bout to pack everything up and head over to Pop's house to do the rest of the cooking. He gets antsy when I don't get there EARLY in the morning to help even though I do most of the cooking.

Outside of the Turkey and Brisket, we are having Chicken Gumbo (made that Wednesday), Ham, Potato Salad, Cabbage, Dressing, Yams & Pears (new recipe. I'll let you know how it comes out.) and probably a few other veggies. Depends on how creative I'm feeling at the time.

Anywho, I hope you all have a great Christmas. Come back soon and post lots of pictures!!!

Mista

Jorge
12-25-2004, 10:14 AM
So the rest of the day consists of my stretching out on the couch, eating, drinking beer, watching football, tending fire, and scratching myself, and drinking beer

Hey Jorge - let's not forget scratching yourself... :shock:

If you want something done right, do it yourself.... 8)

Neil
12-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Was too busy yesterday to do any posting other than a couple of pm's to KC to let him know how the Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham was going, he is doing one today. Got off to a late start 5:00 am, 20# whole shank ham and diiner was planned for 4:00. Had a hell of a time getting chamber on the 'dera up to temp, 15*/-12 wind chill when I fired her up. Go to make the Sweet Kiss of Death injectible marinade and cannot find the rum and orange extracts. Wake up my wife at 5:30 to find out where she hid them. She's irritated as hell that I woke her but hey I'm cooking this for her family. Look in and empty every cabinet and cupboard in the kitchen. Turns out they were right where they were supposed to be and where we both first looked. We were looking for the little bottles, the bottles were in the little boxes they come packaged in and neither of us recognized them as the extracts when we first saw them. Meanwhile temp in chamber keeps falling, I look out the window and see smoke coming out of the chimney but chamber temp on the Nu-temp remote is only registering 8* after an hour. Go out and open the fire box lid and see a very good fire burning, scratching my head mod. Finish injecting the ham and notice that chamber temp is still 8*! I grab my other Nu-temp transmitter and probe and go out and swap with the one I have set up. Chamber templ is 185* and climbing steadily. Farking probe wasn't working. Ham goes in at 8:00. At 10:00 I have a steady 220*-240* chamber so I place the probe into the ham just above the bone. Internal temp is at 55* and climbs 1* every five minutes until 3:00 pm when I pull it at 140*cover in foil the wrap in a towel. Carve the ham at 4:00 then sat back and enjoyed everyone's comments on how good it was. I love to eat, especially what I cook but I love even more to watch others get satisfaction from what I've prepared.

If you haven't tried Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham with the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectible Marinade yet, go to the Recipe section under all things pork and give it a try. Again, a big thank you to Jim Minion for posting the recipe. Hope everyones Christmas was a blessed one. Now it's time to start thinking abouta New Years Eve and Day menues!!!!

kcquer
12-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Was too busy yesterday to do any posting other than a couple of pm's to KC to let him know how the Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham was going, he is doing one today.

Neil, thanks again for the heads up. Nothing like a Brother lookin' out for ya! My Sunday dinner that got moved to Monday is now on Tuesday (Granson's Holiday schedule with dad mod, want to have him here for the cook and feast) I have all my ham goodies boxed up for easy early morning acess!! Thanks again for hookin' me up with the 411 on the ham mod.

tommykendall
12-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Farking probe wasn't working

Try cleaning them once in a while :lol:

I'll have try that Dr. Chicken method. Where have I heard him before? Was he on this board? Maybe I'm confused with someone else.

Bigmista
12-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Just wanted to post a coupla pics from Christmas Dinner...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_Dinner1.jpg

Here's the Brisket...

http://www.bigmista.com/images/X-mas_Brisket.jpg

Sure was good!

kcquer
12-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I've been to two Holiday feasts already, didn't have to cook for either of them, that part should maybe go in the favorite gifts thread. Our 12yr old grandson has been at his dad's since Christmas morning and won't be home 'til tonight. So we're having our Christmas Dinner tomorrow, I'll be injecting my Ham with Dr. Chicken's Sweet Kiss of Death marinade in a couple hours. I'm really looking fwd to smokin' this hogleg, and for once I'm talking about a ham!!

racer_81
12-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Man....that looks really good Mista...

Bigmista
12-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanx! IT really was! WE had a great time.

Samichlaus
12-27-2004, 11:14 AM
You guys know that's not a pic of the actual buffet. That's just what Neil served himself.

brdbbq
12-27-2004, 12:24 PM
You guys know that's not a pic of the actual buffet. That's just what Neil served himself.

Now that's funny

Neil
12-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Farking probe wasn't working

Try cleaning them once in a while :lol:

I'll have try that Dr. Chicken method. Where have I heard him before? Was he on this board? Maybe I'm confused with someone else.

Clean it after every use. Going to recalibrate both transmitters and probes tonight before I order new ones.

kcquer
12-28-2004, 07:55 AM
It's finally here!! I get to cook my Christmas ham today. Injected the ham yesterday, been turning it over every 6 hours or so hoping all that injection won't end up on one side.
It was 43 degrees at 6am, looking for a high of 55. Light breeze today <15mph all day!! Beeeuuutiiful day for smokin' !! Putting a fatty on for lunch, looks like an awesome day in the making. :D

jt
12-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Let's see, if I leave at 10 I'll be at E's by 12. Cool....

kcquer
12-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Let's see, if I leave at 10 I'll be at E's by 12. Cool....

Dinner is at 6p, drop in whenever you want.

Neil
12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
The probes get cleaned after every use. Dr. Chicken Double Smoked Ham is in our recipie section under all things pork.

kcquer
12-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks to Troutman, Bryan and J Minion for all the help they shared on my Christmas ham. Special thanks to Neil, I owe you a cold one Brother. The timing on my ham came out exactly (and I mean to the minute) how you said it would. Ain't nothin' like the Brethren. Jim, please pass along to Dave how much we've enjoyed the Ham recipe. It's a real winner and thanks again to you for sharing it with us.

Guests were silent while they ate (always a good sign) compliments were abundant after the meal (always great) and everyone was delighted to take some home with them and I still have 2 big bags of ham in the fridge. Plenty of leftover rolls too, I hear they make great ham sammiches :wink: :D .