PDA

View Full Version : chicken question

parrdist
03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I know most of you use thighs in comps., but have seen a few of you say that you use legs.Question is how do you do them, also how do you present them in the turn in box? How do you prepare the skins and temps and time cooking:confused.What about parkay do you use it on the legs, marinate yes or no. Just trying to learn may want to try,Thanks for your help.:confused:

Capozzoli
03-07-2011, 10:23 PM
These chicken thigh guys are pretty tight lipped about their tricks. Search 'bite through skin'.

It involves, among other things, taking the skin off, scraping the fat and then putting it back on.

parrdist
03-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I've seen about the thighs, I'm asking about how do they do Legs.

Meat Burner
03-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Go to the Competiion Threads and see what you can search there. You need to learn and then develope your profile.

OakPit
03-08-2011, 12:05 AM
In terms of contest turn ins - lots of personal tricks I'm not prepared to share.

In the Backyard however...since I cannot remove the skin from a leg, I use my tenderizer/jacquard to poke little (almost invisible) holes in the skin. This really helps the subcutaneous fats render away. I brine in a dissolved solution of The Rub Co. "Original". Season with your favorite. I cook legs at 310 to 325 so I get the color I want. Any hotter and the skin may split with unnecessary char. I sauce with something simple that has a bit of heat to compliment my base rub.

You'll know when they are ready by the shrink and feel. Otherwise, pull off at 170.

As always, my .02