PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a smoker please

Big slick
03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I just joined here and I really want to buy a smoker. I'm not looking to drop a ton of money but I don't want a piece of crap. I like the cooking space of the Brinkman SNP, but I love the reliability of the WSM. I prefer to use charcoal/wood over electric. I really don't want a UDS just because well... they're ugly. What smokers can you pros suggest?

Thanks a lot,

Big Slick (Nick)

Skidder
03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Hands down if you don't like the drum than it would be WSM for great bbq for a decent price. A great first or last smoker. I could see one lasting a lifetime with care.

Big slick
03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks skidder. I am leaning more and more to a WSM.

JD McGee
03-06-2011, 05:43 PM
WSM...no brainer...

landarc
03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
The WSM is an excellent product, and the 22.5" is a beast, it can cook a bunch of food for you.

Big slick
03-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Cool thanks all

Brian in Maine
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I've got 2 18 1/2" WSMs, and I want a 22". Go WSM, and you won't be sorry.

bluetang
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I know you said you didn't want a UDS, but if you haven't checked out the UDS thread, check it out. There are a bunch of tricked out, personalized UDS's that are works of art. They cook dang fine too, comps are being won with them. If a UDS is a definite no, I agree with with the WSM folks here, buy a WSM, you will not be disappointed. I have and use both UDS's and the WSM.

Smoothsmoke
03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I can get you a new 22.5" WSM for $320 :cool:

That's 20% off, cheapest price around.

GreenDrake
03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Probably the WSM for you, as others have said. Be warned though, once you start, it becomes a passion and a lifelong pursuit of all foods wonderful. It's so bad now, I have to wait til the snow is gone, pour a small pad and build a bbq area in my yard now, the deck is full up with toys. Cruise Craigslist for used gear too, I know when I sold my Cookshack (still kicking myself for doing it) I had responses immediately.

Smoothsmoke
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101002

Wampus
03-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Guess it depends on what you consider "a ton of money".
Also depends on how much babysitting you want to do while cooking.

WSM's pretty easy to learn and cook on.
Offset smokers are awesome, but will take more work to cook on. You can also cook with ALL WOOD on offsets.

If you don't want a UDS and you want something that's more "set it and forget it", then I'd agree.....WSM.
An ECB properly modified will also perform well for you for less money.
:peep:

Big slick
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101002

i saw this thread when i was still lurking around the forum. I'll have to try it.

Smoothsmoke
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
i saw this thread when i was still lurking around the forum. I'll have to try it.

Odds are that is the best deal for that particular unit. However, try craigslist, sometimes you can get lucky with a score. :thumb:

Big slick
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Its looking like WSM is the way i will end up going. For those of you with the 18" and 22.5" what is the most food you have ever cooked on it? Because when i do barbecues i don't mess around. I will cook 6-8 slabs of St. Louis style ribs, a Brisket, and 10lbs of chicken wings without missing a beat so i need a smoker that can handle a decent amount in one shot. I'm not saying i need a smoker that can do all of that at once but something that can only hold 4 slabs of ribs isn't really worth my time.

Wampus
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Its looking like WSM is the way i will end up going. For those of you with the 18" and 22.5" what is the most food you have ever cooked on it? Because when i do barbecues i don't mess around. I will cook 6-8 slabs of St. Louis style ribs, a Brisket, and 10lbs of chicken wings without missing a beat so i need a smoker that can handle a decent amount in one shot. I'm not saying i need a smoker that can do all of that at once but something that can only hold 4 slabs of ribs isn't really worth my time.

I did 5 butts (all between 6 & 8 lbs) on an 18" WSM once. I don't know if you can get a whole rack of ribs on one or not (never cooked ribs on one).

I know I can get 6 racks of ribs on a 22.5" grate on my UDS, so you should be able to do the same on the 22.5" WSM.

Skidder
03-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Google The Virtual Weber Bullet site for all the answers about the WSM

blackdog043
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
WSM, 22.5 !! You can always use a rib rack too.

Big slick
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
After being on here only 24hrs I am looking forward to future grills to share with you guys.

RAZORBACK JIM
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Before you buy the WSM 22.5...check out the Big Steel Keg...if you can find one...you can do everything on these and they come with all the extras...comproable to the BGE but cheeper...around $600-$800.

Jim

Big slick
03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
That's a little too high over my budget.

nwelch
03-06-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a 22.5 WSM and I have done 6 racks of ribs laying flat at one time. I have had 4 large briskets at one time and I have done 6, 8 lb pork butts at one time.

If your looking to cook a lot when you cook and you like the WSM, you better get the 22.5.

Big slick
03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks nwelch. I seem to be getting steered that way. If only I could find one cheap on CL.

cheez
03-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I don't even have one and I still have to agree with the prevailing opinion....get the WSM.

KuradiEit
03-07-2011, 06:56 AM
I have an 18" WSM and like (not love) it. It has one flaw... when cooking for a crowd, you have to half-disassemble it to access the food on the lower rack. Plan ahead that whatever you put there is a "set it and forget it" recipe or food item. No mopping, no adjusting its position, no flipping it over, no picking it up if it tips over, etc. It's kinda limiting and you'll find yourself avoiding making anything in such a quantity that you need to use the lower rack.

I wish Weber would add a vertical "vault" to their product line. Quick and easy access to all the food. It's a much more versatile design.
~Kai

KuradiEit
03-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Have you seen this site yet? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

KuradiEit
03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
You said you don't want a piece of crap but let me suggest one: http://www.brinkmann.net/products/outdoor_cooking/charcoal_smokers_and_grills/details.aspx?item=810-5503-S It's only $70-75 at Home Depot or Walmart. You'll need to drill/modify or replace the coal tray with a grill wok immediately. And probably add some fireplace caulk (it looks like waxy rope) around the doors to make them seal better. Cheap and easy modifications.

BUT... those cheap chintzy units will probably last you a few years each and because you like to make large quantities of many different foods that have different time, temperature and attention requirements, you can get 3-4 of the ECBs for the cost of one WSM. And the "vault" versus "bullet" design allows you quick and easy access to ALL your racks of food.

The SWM is a nice high-quality smoker but access to the lower rack is unnecessarily difficult. A "vault" might suit your needs better. You can get one "good" one or several cheap crappy ones for about the same price. Quantity vs quality. You make the call.

Big slick
03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
KuradiEit,

That is the only thing that I don't like about the WSM. I like opening a door or lifting a lid and seeing everything and being able to make adjustments without having to take my grill apart.

Hub
03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
For about $750 you can join us on the dark side -- you'll never look back. Google: Green Mountain or Yoder, among others. Avoid Traeger no matter how low the price.

ramrod25
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Well - I have to weigh in here for the Treager 070 with the Digital Thermometer.

I absolutely love mine, both for smokin and grillin - I use the oak pellets and we just love the flavor. Oh - and by the way - I just walk out on my patio and turn on the switch and it going. Getting ready to do two brisket flats for this weekend - my wife's entire family is decending on us.

I wouldn't trade if for anything - just a great smoker. Very user friendly and you can't beat the taste. :clap2:

Regards
Rodney

Sorry HUB - I just love mine

Big George's BBQ
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
My son has a WSM and loves it

Smoothsmoke
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Yo BigSlick, what's your budget? That way we can try to steer you in the right direction.

JS-TX
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I've got 2 Bubba kegs (99% the same as the Big Steel Keg) and love them. I didn't spend over $400 for either of them, so I was lucky there. Considering your budget, I would also say a 22 WSM, but if you really like the idea of lifting the lid and seeing/accessing all your food, then you may have to get a decent sized offset. But at your price, be ready and willing to make a few modifications and forget about "set it and forget" type of cooking. It's nice to have it all but it gets $$ in a hurry. Also, if you really plan to cook large amounts of food and want it to last long, quality is a must. I wouldn't get multiple cheapo smokers. It would be frustrating IMO.

Big slick
03-07-2011, 12:15 PM
A buddy at work told me about Traeger and he does comp BBQ all the time. Regardless, all 3 of those just mentioned are out of my comfort spending zone right now.

KuradiEit
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
How about something like this?
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/recreation/grilling/charcoal_grills&start=16&selectedSKU=0262-40121-0835&lnkSRC=HMR2P2
~Kai

jrbBBQ
03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Big Slick if your from Palatine, shouldn't a Weber be an automatic choice. I think that's where they are made.

Big slick
03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I work right across the street from the weber plant. Only problem is that you can no longer buy factory direct. Weber use to have an annual sale but they quit doing that about 5 years ago. As for how much I want to spend... I would like to get a smoker for around $400 or less. I would consider spending more for a high quality smoker but my problem is that Id hate to buy a smoker and find out my family isn't that crazy about smoked BBQ. So I'm thinking about just sticking with a WSM unless something else strikes me. I still need to inform my wife about our new addition to the family hahaha.

Big slick
03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
How about something like this?
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/recreation/grilling/charcoal_grills&start=16&selectedSKU=0262-40121-0835&lnkSRC=HMR2P2
~Kai

That's a real cool smoker and I like the style a lot. How good of a smoker is it though? Has anyone ever used that brand before? Thanks for the link Kai!

Callahan-que
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
That's a real cool smoker and I like the style a lot. How good of a smoker is it though? Has anyone ever used that brand before? Thanks for the link Kai!

Here's a recent thread with some good pron of that cooker http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100710 Brethren capnrob97 has one and posted some pics. I was looking at it last weekend at Academy sports and I'll tell you it's very well built.

OakPit
03-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Go with the WSM 18" or 22" They win more contests than you'd ever believe. It might be the most affordable workhorse smoker ever made. If you're family hates BBQ and you're forced to sell it, it will probably last less than a day on Craigslist, or like 60 seconds on this site. That cannot be said for a cabinet type smoker or a modified Brinkman...

One very important thing: The Weber "bullets" as great as they are...are ONLY smokers. They can be made into makeshift grills, but will never be as good as their namesake Kettle. Perhaps Weber knows this too and continue to offer them both in the catalog.

To have an all around Grill/BBQ Smoker in a single unit, consider the Bubba Keg or a BGE, Primo etc. After all, you might want to cook up a steak or some burgers someday.

As always, my .02

jrbBBQ
03-08-2011, 02:25 AM
I don't know why but I've always figured everyone had a weber kettle.. no matter what size. I think it's by far the best piece of cooking equipment you can buy... this coming from someone who buys le crueset cookware. The kettle was the first thing I ever smoked ribs on and I know people who have had the same one over 20 years. With that being said, as far as just smokers go... for the price, you should go the WSM. I have several smokers on my wishlist but I can't justify paying $5000 dollars for something to go play on the weekends with, but for $400 dollars you can get a WSM 22 and 'smoke' anything you want on it. If you could come up with the xtra 400 I'd go for the BGE large and 'cook' anything you want.

KuradiEit
03-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Here's a recent thread with some good pron of that cooker http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100710 Brethren capnrob97 has one and posted some pics. I was looking at it last weekend at Academy sports and I'll tell you it's very well built.

DARN! I wish I'd known about it sooner and gotten that instead of the WSM! It's a much more intelligent design. (Insert smoker envy here.)
~Kai

Big slick
03-08-2011, 07:02 AM
I think for my first smoker I am Just going to go with a WSM. I decide to sell it and get something different at least it will be sold quickly as mentioned above. I'll keep looking but it's looking like WSM is my smoker.

Skidder
03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Just remember if they don't like smoke just use charcoal. Nobody says you have to use wood when you cook on the WSM. Always start with the the min. amount of wood so you don't over do it.

Big slick
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Cool. Thanks Skidder