PDA

View Full Version : Costco Kamado

Pages : [1] 2

Johnny_Crunch
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_DYx1d7oKi_U/TXBiLcRJpdI/AAAAAAAAADA/zhPXWm24wAg/s400/Costco%20Kamado.jpg

Not a bad looking cooker for the price. Any tried it?

visiongrills.com

Q-Dat
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Wow! New Kamados are popping up everywhere!

OneHump
03-03-2011, 10:46 PM
It looks really good, and Costco doesn't typically sell crap. GREAT price with tables, stand AND a cover. Wow.

Baby Back Maniac
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Costco has an extremely good return policy. If it applied to this (there are some exceptions), I don't think you'd have anything to lose to at least try it.

Torch
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Website only shows a black pearl at 999. I'd be all over that one before they are gone! Stainless rack and tables?, wanna ship or truck some out? haha

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Costco has an extremely good return policy. If it applied to this (there are some exceptions), I don't think you'd have anything to lose to at least try it.

I returned a gasser to Costco after 4 plus years of heavy use.

ThomEmery
03-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Who makes it for them?

JS-TX
03-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I saw the same kamado in a local Costco here in San Antonio. It's made by Vision grills. Their website is not very "encouraging". But if Costco will back it with a decent return policy, it could be worth it. I looked at it for a few minutes and it seems to be a nice build, compared to a horrible knockoff sold by Sams Club last year. If I didn't have two Bubba Kegs, I would be really tempted on this one. Put it this way, because it looks to be nicely put together (ceramics is a big ?) I'm telling my friends and family about it, especially cause Bubba/Big Steel Kegs are somewhat hard and are more $ now.

Nickos
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
this is why their return policy is changing/has changed

thats just pathetic, you use it for 4 years heavily then return it for what reason? didnt work, wore out
YOU USED IT HEAVILY FOR 4 YEARS wtf do you expect

Groundhog66
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
What size is this thing, I couldn't find it on their website.

1FUNVET
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
No Costco here :doh:

Braumeister
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM

thats just pathetic, you use it for 4 years heavily then return it for what reason? didnt work, wore out

I agree.

Groundhog66
03-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Yeah, probably not something to boast about :confused:

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM

I expect to be able to buy parts for something I spent $1500 for. Take a deep breath there fella.

Scott_nra
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM

I agree. Dude, that's just not right. That's what drives up prices and makes good policies change. Saw a guy returning stuff at lowes. He had a mostly used can of PVC glue and an empty can of cleaner, plus a bunch of used fittings. Heck, If your gonna steal it just grab it and walk out. Some people just want to stick it too the company hahaha and then wonder what happends when prices go up or worse.

As far as this cooker, I'd just be looking to see if it is a name brand or a chinese knock-off. Looks good in the pic.

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
It is chinese.........

smoke-n-my-i's
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
It is chinese.........

if so, it probably has asbestos in it.... just saying.... might.

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
lead paint for sure!

JasonBB
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
looks ok but i would rather go with a brand name one myself

OakPit
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Look at the world of ceramic cooking...looks like the BGE started something that is getting more mainstream. I welcome the awareness of ceramic BBQ...good for everyone!

Baby Back Maniac
03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I expect to be able to buy parts for something I spent $1500 for. Take a deep breath there fella.

I don't know Johnny Crunch at all, but I don't understand why folks are jumping on him about taking advantage of a return policy. I mean seriously, what reputable grill company doesn't offer at LEAST a 5 year warranty on their grills? If Costco would rather take the grill back than provide replacement parts, that's between them and their vendors. The point is that a grill should last more than 4 years.

Costco uses their lifetime guaranty to distinguish themselves from their competitors. If they are going to use that “100% satisfaction guarantee” to get me to buy from them instead of somebody else, I would have no qualms at all about using that guarantee when I needed it. Otherwise, what’s the point of having it?

Groundhog66
03-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't know Johnny Crunch at all, but I don't understand why folks are jumping on him about taking advantage of a return policy.

You said it right there...I don't know all the details, perhaps he had good reason. But I guess in the end, I don't really care why.

btcg
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
It is chinese.........

I wouldn't buy it... if you cook on it, an hour later, you'll want to cook on it again.

Nickos
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
buy tires from costco

return with no tread becuase they dont work right anymore 70,000 miles later

timzcardz
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I mean seriously, what reputable grill company doesn't offer at LEAST a 5 year warranty on their grills?

WEBER!

Some parts on their gas grills are only coverd for 2 or 3 years.

Wampus
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't buy it... if you cook on it, an hour later, you'll want to cook on it again.

:rofl:
:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

deltablues69
03-04-2011, 02:31 PM

That's funny stuff!!! Thanks for the laugh!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

JS-TX
03-04-2011, 04:10 PM
What size is this thing, I couldn't find it on their website.

I would say about the size of an XL BGE.. or close to it. That lid was pretty heavy to lift. It has 2 grates, but the second grate didn't seem very easy to work with. Perhaps it was the way it was put together.. dunno.

Groundhog66
03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I would say about the size of an XL BGE.. or close to it. That lid was pretty heavy to lift. It has 2 grates, but the second grate didn't seem very easy to work with. Perhaps it was the way it was put together.. dunno.

So it had a 2 tier rack included as well, nice.

Chinese or not, still a great price for a ceramic cooker of that size.

Smoothsmoke
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I went to my local costco to get an up close view of this thing, but zilch. I didn't see it anywhere.

5-0 BBQ
03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't buy it... if you cook on it, an hour later, you'll want to cook on it again.Now that's FUNNY! :clap2:

lionhrt
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I see they are clay and not ceramic wouldn`t that limit its use to lower heat?

Groundhog66
03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I see they are clay and not ceramic wouldn`t that limit its use to lower heat?

Hard to make out, but doesn't the sign say ceramic?

R2Egg2Q
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I think that is the same as the GourmetPot kamado: http://www.gourmetpots.com/grills

For that price, I would think it'd have to be a Large and not XL.

lionhrt
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Hard to make out, but doesn't the sign say ceramic?

I went to the websight that was posted earlier and if the same manufacturer it is clay.

Mike in Corpus
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM
If I bought a flat screen T.V. and after four years of heavy use, they offered to give me a new T.V. rather than fix it, I would take it. Honoring a good return policy generates more business IMHO.

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
This is the website that is on the box. They keep calling it ceramic then they mention they use clay. What gives?

http://visiongrills.com/AboutKamado.html

gooose53
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
This is the website that is on the box. They keep calling it ceramic then they mention they use clay. What gives?

http://visiongrills.com/AboutKamado.html

"...since our ancestors learned to cook using clay pots." this doesn't say they use clay to make it....at least not in my mind.

Johnny_Crunch
03-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Read it again.......

"Part of our mission is to develop products that are environmentally friendly and wherever possible use recycled or replenishable materials. We use natural clay elements to fabricate the ceramic cooking pot and interior cooking chamber,"

btcg
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
"...since our ancestors learned to cook using clay pots." this doesn't say they use clay to make it....at least not in my mind.

As a direct decendant of the caveman who invented cookware (Ogg Wilson), I can tell you that the first cookware was stone. :-D

JS-TX
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
So it had a 2 tier rack included as well, nice.

Chinese or not, still a great price for a ceramic cooker of that size.

Sorry, I stopped by BBQ galore today after work just to browse around. They had an XL BGE.. the one at Costco is definitely not that size. More like a large BGE, although I remember it looking bigger, diameter wise.

JS-TX
03-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I think that is the same as the GourmetPot kamado: http://www.gourmetpots.com/grills

For that price, I would think it'd have to be a Large and not XL.

Pretty weird but they may be the same grill. The color, side tables and that 2nd rack I saw gives it away. I don't have a ceramic grill, but if I did, a good warranty or a generous return policy would be a must. It's not like these ceramic pieces are easily replaceable.

bbqbull
03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok, the personal slams have just ended. If we all do not know all the facts then please keep your opinions of slamming another Brethren member to yourselves.
I thank you in advance for keeping this thread on track.

SmokerKing
03-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Meteor

http://meteorbbqware.com/?link=productView&ID=322

Bonkers789
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Clay is ceramic it is the glaze and the treatment to the clay that makes is ceramic the visiongrill is clay fired ceramic so is every other ceramic cooker it is the quality of clay they use and the way it is glazed just my 2 cents and help from wikipedia

Midnight Smoke
03-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I went to my local costco to get an up close view of this thing, but zilch. I didn't see it anywhere.

Just a guess, but they may be a Road Show Item...

pahutchens
03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Costco does ship some items (like this) to the warehouses based on locations/demographics. They usually make the regional items available via Costco.com
Shipping is frequently free ALL items can be returned to a local warehouse if unsatisfied.
It is not uncommon to see some items returned after seasonal use or even food that was overbought for a party.
There was a change in electronic returns several years back. Every year we still see a few big screen TV's come back after the Superbowl is over.
If a member truly abuses the returns (or employees) they have been known to receive a refund for their membership and asked not to return.

Costco bungee employee since 2004

Wezel
03-14-2011, 09:51 PM
My son-in-law and I each bought one of these on 5 March at a COSTCO in Austin, TX. They're doing great for both of us and the Vision Grills customer service is wonderful. I ruined one of my two drop down shelves getting the stuck plastic/paper information label off and Vision Grills sent me a new one FEDEX for free to replace it. They only asked me to return the ruined one. Wow!

I've used BGE's and Primo's before and the Vision Kamando is only different in that the top vent is a slider, sorta like a Weber but better, and it doesn't allow as much air through it as the BGE or Primo which can be completely, fully opened. Therefore, it doesn't heat up quite as fast, which is OK because the temperature won't get away from you so fast.

At about $800.00 less than a similar BGE set-up it's a bargain.

ThomEmery
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Good information here guys

drbbq
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
My son-in-law and I each bought one of these on 5 March at a COSTCO in Austin, TX. They're doing great for both of us and the Vision Grills customer service is wonderful. I ruined one of my two drop down shelves getting the stuck plastic/paper information label off and Vision Grills sent me a new one FEDEX for free to replace it. They only asked me to return the ruined one. Wow!

I've used BGE's and Primo's before and the Vision Kamando is only different in that the top vent is a slider, sorta like a Weber but better, and it doesn't allow as much air through it as the BGE or Primo which can be completely, fully opened. Therefore, it doesn't heat up quite as fast, which is OK because the temperature won't get away from you so fast.

At about $800.00 less than a similar BGE set-up it's a bargain.

I'm not sure where you priced the BGE but if you look around you'll find that setup a lot cheaper than $1300.

greenkm
03-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I went to my local Costco on Sunday to buy the Vision Kamado grill; alas they apparently were sold out. There were several of them available at this Costco just 10 days ago.

To my surprise though, there was a Traeger roadshow going on. Moreover, it was the last day of the event. So instead of a Kamado, I walked out of the store with a new Lil Texas Elite. The grill price was $639.99. One thing missing is the Dome Thermometer, it needs to be purchased separate.

I also purchase 8 bags of pellets, these were priced at $13.99. Added a grill cover (nice) that cost $38.99.

I've been using a Santa Maria style grill for years. A huge drawback working with the SM grill is temp control. Yea, I've smoked on this devil. The Traeger should make things so much easier for me.

I have never used a Ceramic or Pellet Pooper before. Look forward to some tasty BBQ.

KG

JS-TX
03-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I went to my local Costco on Sunday to buy the Vision Kamado grill; alas they apparently were sold out. There were several of them available at this Costco just 10 days ago.

To my surprise though, there was a Traeger roadshow going on. Moreover, it was the last day of the event. So instead of a Kamado, I walked out of the store with a new Lil Texas Elite. The grill price was $639.99. One thing missing is the Dome Thermometer, it needs to be purchased separate.

I also purchase 8 bags of pellets, these were priced at $13.99. Added a grill cover (nice) that cost $38.99.

I've been using a Santa Maria style grill for years. A huge drawback working with the SM grill is temp control. Yea, I've smoked on this devil. The Traeger should make things so much easier for me.

I have never used a Ceramic or Pellet Pooper before. Look forward to some tasty BBQ.

KG

That's quite a change in grill types, walked in looking for a kamado and walked out with a Traeger. I've never used a pellet grill, those are electric right?

greenkm
03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Sure, different styles. Yet each met my slow cooker objective.

The Traeger roadshow is a limited time event. I felt like I didn't want to miss the opportunity. The price was quite a nice discount on MSRP. Further, for slow cooking, I believe the Traeger provides a more refined temperature control mechanism than the kamado.

One factor with a ceramic that seems a limitation with a pellet grill is the higher temperature capability...think pizza. I guess I'll fore go that feature for a while longer, oh well.

KG

bmmat
07-12-2011, 06:33 AM
I saw this Kamado at costco also it is made by vision grills, the problem i see is that it only has a one year warrantee on the ceramics, and the fire box looks funky no ring, plus were do you get parts, I would like to have one but am nervouse, they have a
Childish web site plus where do I get accessories like the heat deflector
does anyone have advice about this Kamado

Wezel
07-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Well...after four months of use mine is working great. Hey, it seems to be a good product at a good price. BGE accessories fit it. I've found the Vision customer service to be wonderful (see previous post). If you want a longer warranty pay a lot more for a different product.

osx-addict
07-12-2011, 01:49 PM
One area where the difference Kamado clones will differ from each other is how thick the ceramic walls actually are. There's a large difference between the wall thickness of the BGE vs the Kamado with the K kookers having a thicker wall which translates into better heat retention. I'm personally leary of any chinese products and what they contain -- not saying that this particular product is no good but some certainly are.

pahutchens
07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
The day before I left to come to CO (June 22). My Costco in Eden Prairie recieved their shipment. didn't get to look at them. Standard return policy, some may disagree with the policy but it works well for the company.

33Posse
07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
For $500 it's well worth the risk:-D

tortaboy
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Yummy:thumb:

Al Czervik
07-14-2011, 01:53 AM
As a direct decendant of the caveman who invented cookware (Ogg Wilson), I can tell you that the first cookware was stone. :-D

Dude... You crack me up! :laugh:

GreenDrake
07-14-2011, 05:53 AM
To the point of the "clone" conversation, ALL ceramic cookers are clones, even the mighty BGE. The BGE is just a clone with better marketing and brand awareness.

cbpeck
07-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I, too, was impressed with the look of the Vision kamado at Costco. I didn't buy one, but it sure looked like an excellent product at a great price.

The folding shelf hinges, the cooking rack design & the upper & lower vents all seemed to be very well executed. Its wall thickness seemed comparable to BGEs, and I'd agree that its about the same size as the large BGE.

I can't offer an informed perspective on what may or may not be in the pot as a result of Chinese manufacture, but neither can anybody else on this forum. Let's remember that BGEs aren't made in the US, either. Primo got that one right.

If I was in the market for a Kamado I'd probably give the Vision grill a shot.

hockeyfox
07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
The day before I left to come to CO (June 22). My Costco in Eden Prairie recieved their shipment. didn't get to look at them. Standard return policy, some may disagree with the policy but it works well for the company.
I also saw it at the Eden Prairie Costco. It is now long gone. It looked VERY well built. But as another poster pointed out, 1 year warranty on ceramics and 90 days on metals parts speaks volumes about the manufacturers testament to reliability.

Whitfield
07-14-2011, 12:27 PM
To the point of the "clone" conversation, ALL ceramic cookers are clones, even the mighty BGE. The BGE is just a clone with better marketing and brand awareness.

^^^What he said. BGE makes a great product and the marketing company that owns BGE does a GREAT job marketing their product. Personally, I like Primo. I don't know if it's BETTER than BGE, it's just my preference. That's why I SELL them. I'm sure this product is fine but I also feel that there must be a reason for the difference in price, other than the warranty. Still seems like a decent deal considering my limited knowledge of the product.

In addition, I feel that if someone were to work in conjuction with (or have a connection to) a company and want to talk about how great that company is, they should point out that connection.

sog35
07-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I got one of these grills about a month ago. For $500 its a steal. To get a large egg (side tables, dual grates, cover, nest) would be well over $1000. Plus this item is covered under the costco standard warranty, so basically LIFETIME warranty for any reason.

So how does it cook? Excellent. Pizza cooks at a solid 650-700 degrees with a pizza stone. The steaks were the best I've ever made, chicken was awesome. I did have a problem keeping the temperature stable below 250 at first. But then I used some high heat silicone to get a better seal on the bottom vent. Yesterday I ran the Black Egg for 15 hours at 230 using a Auber. This morning I check, and it only used about 60% of the lump. Incredible.

These ceramic grills are so awesome. Cleanup is basically zero. Never have to worry about running out of fuel. Never have to worry about weather. With a $130 Auber this thing is basically as easy to use as an electric smoker but you get real smoke taste.

biglag
07-14-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Grill-Accessories-Charcoal-Wood-Grills/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx8h/R-202926563/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

not sure if this is the same model as costco but it's 700 at HD. Anyone have the ad for costco, its not showing up on their website

Whitfield
07-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Yowzers! :shocked: Two posters in this thread who have joind the forum since this thread was started, posted ONLY in this thread and RAVED about this product. :roll: Seems like some spam has crept in :mod:

hockeyfox
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Grill-Accessories-Charcoal-Wood-Grills/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx8h/R-202926563/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

not sure if this is the same model as costco but it's 700 at HD. Anyone have the ad for costco, its not showing up on their website
That is their pro model, which I believe is a step above the costco version. It has a separate door for an electric lump lighter. The bottom dampers are a bit different as well.

sog35
07-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Yowzers! :shocked: Two posters in this thread who have joind the forum since this thread was started, posted ONLY in this thread and RAVED about this product. :roll: Seems like some spam has crept in :mod:

Spam? Before I bought the grill I did a search and found pretty much just two people who actually bought this grill. Bottom line is it would have been nice if I had more info about the grill before I bought it.

The main reason I'm posting here is to help others who are having doubts about the quality of this unit. It is solid. Plus if ANYTHING happens you have the peace of mind with the LIFETIME warranty with Costco.

J_Don
07-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I see you eat a lot of Chinese too! Kinda wishing I had some right now. A wok and 10 minutes and you have a meal.

J_Don
07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
That is their pro model, which I believe is a step above the costco version. It has a separate door for an electric lump lighter. The bottom dampers are a bit different as well.
It is the Pro model made by Vision which is also the same brand sold by Costco. Vision is offering 2 models, the Standard and the Pro.

J_Don
07-15-2011, 12:00 AM
The Naked Whiz has a website and if I'm not mistaken they are the ones that are marketing and having these smokers manufactured. Check out both the Naked Whiz and the Vision websites if you are really interested. The vision website is very basic, looks like a new site to me and I think I would wait before I purchased and see how the product fares on the market. Personally, I've been looking at ceramic grill/smokers for over 2 years now and the only reason I don't have one is because I want the XL version of whichever brand I buy and I just can't justify the cost right now. I know BGE has a hugh following but I am steering toward the Primo Oval XL. I also know that Kamodo and Viking have SS versions out at $3000.00 + Personal choice IMHO.

Marauder777
07-15-2011, 12:26 AM

I joined specifically because of this thread. :becky:

Someone told me about these smokers yesterday, so I went to check one out today.

My initial impression is:
- the top vent is a little too wide, and the cap is thin stainless steel.
- the overall thickness of the ceramic seems to be maybe 1/8" thinner than a BGE.
- the dome seems to be pretty low compared to a BGE or a Primo.
- the "cart" is much thicker and has a wider base than the BGE, so it's much less likely to tip when moving around.
- the side tables are quite nice, and maybe a little longer than those on the BGE.
- the bottom vent seems pretty solid and operates exactly like on the BGE.
- there is no fire ring.
- the lid closes on a spring attached to the front of the base, making those last couple inches very smooth (unlike the BGE, where the spring seems to lose all it's oomph in the last few inches).
- I did not have a tape measure handy, but I'm guessing all of the accessories for a large BGE will fit nicely.
- the gaskets are very thick.

For the price I would say this is a decent grill to get, however I have one major issue... The hinge holding the lid to the base is very narrow and flimsy, and the lid wobbles quite a lot when open. This concerns me a lot. Maybe the Costco employees (or vendor) did not assemble this very well, or maybe the unit I looked at in particular was flawed.... but the amount of wobble was alarming.

sog35
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I joined specifically because of this thread. :becky:

Someone told me about these smokers yesterday, so I went to check one out today.

My initial impression is:
- the top vent is a little too wide, and the cap is thin stainless steel.
- the overall thickness of the ceramic seems to be maybe 1/8" thinner than a BGE.
- the dome seems to be pretty low compared to a BGE or a Primo.
- the "cart" is much thicker and has a wider base than the BGE, so it's much less likely to tip when moving around.
- the side tables are quite nice, and maybe a little longer than those on the BGE.
- the bottom vent seems pretty solid and operates exactly like on the BGE.
- there is no fire ring.
- the lid closes on a spring attached to the front of the base, making those last couple inches very smooth (unlike the BGE, where the spring seems to lose all it's oomph in the last few inches).
- I did not have a tape measure handy, but I'm guessing all of the accessories for a large BGE will fit nicely.
- the gaskets are very thick.

For the price I would say this is a decent grill to get, however I have one major issue... The hinge holding the lid to the base is very narrow and flimsy, and the lid wobbles quite a lot when open. This concerns me a lot. Maybe the Costco employees (or vendor) did not assemble this very well, or maybe the unit I looked at in particular was flawed.... but the amount of wobble was alarming.

Top vent is no problem for me. I ran this black egg for 12 hours straight at 225. I like that it has a number system on the vent so its easy to dial in the same vent level the next cook.

The ceramic may be a bit thinner. I think the BGE may be a bit heavier, at least the lid seemed that way.

Cart works well, very easy to move around. Side tables are great and so is the dual cooking grids, both have doors so you can access your fire very easily.

I have not noticed any problems with the lid.

sog35
07-17-2011, 09:38 PM
here is a good review of the grill
‪Vision Kamado Grill‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAhPXsPbOU&feature=related)

I think this is a very good deal:
Egg Nest $150
2nd tier rack $80
side tables $75
cover $30

So basically you are getting the cooker itself for about 200 bucks

HoDeDo
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I agree. Dude, that's just not right. That's what drives up prices and makes good policies change. Saw a guy returning stuff at lowes. He had a mostly used can of PVC glue and an empty can of cleaner, plus a bunch of used fittings. Heck, If your gonna steal it just grab it and walk out. Some people just want to stick it too the company hahaha and then wonder what happends when prices go up or worse.

As far as this cooker, I'd just be looking to see if it is a name brand or a chinese knock-off. Looks good in the pic.

Guys if you spend money on a Weber gas grill.... I know people with 18 yr old webers, that just buy parts for them as they go bad.... if you drop $1500 on one at Costco, the manufacturer should have parts available for it, when you need to replace a fitting, burner, etc.... Costco has that policy, to protect their customers.... I would be mad #1, if I had to replace parts 4 years in (some gassers still have warranty left at 4 yrs) #2, I call to get parts and they say there are none available.... I would work with costco also, if the manufacturer said that, as Costco STANDS BEHIND what they sell.... That is why I pay a premium many times, to buy things there.... I know if the company goes under, CostCo will still back it.

He couldn't get parts, probably still inside the warranty, so they took care of him on it. I dont think any fraudulent activity occured...

Ross
08-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm new to the forum, I joined to get info on the Vision grill from Costco. I purchased it about 2 months ago at Costco. In fact, my son and I were the one who posted the You Tube review above. All in all, I'm very happy with this grill. I have only had one issue with the grill, and that is that the gasket between the bottom vent and the ceramic wall was not quite thick enough, and it let in a little too much air, even when the vent was 90% closed. So I took a little tube of sealant, ran a bead around the entire vent, then wiped it down with a wet wash rag, and you can't event tell it's there. It also completely sealed the vent. I did an all night low and slow a couple of weeks ago and it exceeded my expectations. I cooked a pork shoulder. I started the bbq at about 250, and it held steady at about 225 for more than 11 hours. The firebox had about 2 chimneys, or a little more, of lump. When I went to clean the firebox out a couple days later, it had about 3/4 + of a chimney of lump left to reuse. Very confident this would have gone 16hr+ if I let it. Tonight, I tried a pizza. I did a pre-made dough from Wholefoods, with some basic sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. My two youngest kids absolutely loved it, and my little 8 year old eats like a bird, so I know I was on to something when he liked it. anyway, I cooked it on a stone for about eight minutes, close to 600, on the second grill grate. For me, the bottom crust was just a little too cooked, while the top was just right. I'll have to play with it a bit more. Any suggestions? I know, there is probably another thread for that... I'll go check it out.

JS-TX
08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Glad to hear you like your grill. In regards to the pizza, I have not perfected a method myself. I've tried really high heat (700*) but found it burned/charred the bottom crust a little too much for me. I think 500* works best for me, as I like a little crispy crust.

sog35
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi, everyone, I'm new to the forum, I joined to get info on the Vision grill from Costco. I purchased it about 2 months ago at Costco. In fact, my son and I were the one who posted the You Tube review above. All in all, I'm very happy with this grill. I have only had one issue with the grill, and that is that the gasket between the bottom vent and the ceramic wall was not quite thick enough, and it let in a little too much air, even when the vent was 90% closed. So I took a little tube of sealant, ran a bead around the entire vent, then wiped it down with a wet wash rag, and you can't event tell it's there. It also completely sealed the vent. I did an all night low and slow a couple of weeks ago and it exceeded my expectations. I cooked a pork shoulder. I started the bbq at about 250, and it held steady at about 225 for more than 11 hours. The firebox had about 2 chimneys, or a little more, of lump. When I went to clean the firebox out a couple days later, it had about 3/4 + of a chimney of lump left to reuse. Very confident this would have gone 16hr+ if I let it. Tonight, I tried a pizza. I did a pre-made dough from Wholefoods, with some basic sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. My two youngest kids absolutely loved it, and my little 8 year old eats like a bird, so I know I was on to something when he liked it. anyway, I cooked it on a stone for about eight minutes, close to 600, on the second grill grate. For me, the bottom crust was just a little too cooked, while the top was just right. I'll have to play with it a bit more. Any suggestions? I know, there is probably another thread for that... I'll go check it out.

Exactly what type/brand of sealent did you use?

Soprano
08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I also just purchased this grill from Costo. Overall, I think its real nice. I do have a few issues:

Sticker on the table - This thing is very difficult to get off. I have tried several ways but still have the sticky residue leftover.

Top vent - My top vent doesn't fit all the way over the felt gasket. It does not leak, but it seems like the felt is too thick for a complete fit. I am going to contact them about this.

Does anyone else have these issues?

J_Don
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Sticker on the table - This thing is very difficult to get off. I have tried several ways but still have the sticky residue leftover.
Try WD40. It's amazing at the many uses you can use WD40 for other than lubricating. And yes, the residue will wash off with a little soap and water so you don't have to worry about contamination. A hairdryer will most likely work too! Good luck.

SmokeOCD
08-25-2011, 09:48 PM
On the off chance someone does not have WD40 - cover the sticker residue in cooking oil and let it sit. Hopefully in the sun. Everything will soften up and clean up easily.

Soprano
08-27-2011, 08:29 AM
On the off chance someone does not have WD40 - cover the sticker residue in cooking oil and let it sit. Hopefully in the sun. Everything will soften up and clean up easily.

Thanks guys. I tried WD40 and vegetable oil, but maybe I didn't leave it on long enough.

I am trying my first long smoke today (8 lb pork shoulder). Wish me luck!

J_Don
08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
That must be some killer glue. Since that didn't seem to work you might try a safety razor. Anyway best of luck on on your first smoke. :thumb:

Ross
08-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I used Dap wall joint compound. Don't ask me why I used this, it was sitting on my shelf in the garage, I didn't really feel like driving down to the hardware store and spending money so I thought I would give it a try. It said on the label, OK on metal wood and ceramic so I thought I would give it a shot. It sealed it air tight, you cant really see it if you dont look too closely. If I were to really do it right, I would go down and get a clear or black colored Dap Calk-type sealant that withstands high heat, but I wanted to save a couple bucks by using what I had on hand.

Ross
08-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey, Soprano, yeah, that glue was a real pain in the ass. I believe I just took a wet wash rag and let it sit on top of the label til it got real saturated. I then just kept scrubbing it was the rag. I think I worked on it over a period of three or four days before all last bits of glue came off. I, too was not real crazy about the top chimney, I think mine seemed to be just a tad loose, so I cut a piece of black Gorilla Glue Duck tape about the same width as the felt and put it around the felt just to make it a little tighter. I was worried about these issues til I did my first low and slow, and saw how it was able to keep a constant 225-250 temp for 12+ hours. I have to say I'm happy with it. Ive had it for about 2.5 months, decided to take it apart for a good cleaning, took the firebox out. I inspected the inside ceramics real closely and saw no evidence of hairline cracks or anything. On the firebox, right under the expansion joint line, there is a hairline crack, about two inches long. It doesn't seem to be affecting the firebox in any way. However, I might think twice about taking out the firebox again, as I have read where these fireboxes break real easily, even on the Big Green Egg models. Good luck with your cooker, Keep us posted on how you like it.

Ross
08-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Just my 2 cents on the guy that returned his grill from Costco after four years. You know, I had this microphone karioki device that my kids use for about two years. Sure, the kids and their friends probably dropped it a few times, and the chord probably got yanked more than it should have. I put it in a zip lock bag, bought it over to Costco, and asked the lady if she could look up the manufacturers phone or website, as I wasn't able to find it on my own. I told her I was looking for an authorized service center that might be able to fix it for me. She said that she did not have that info on hand, and proceeded to give me back the entire purchase price and tax. I was astounded. At the same time, was I going to refuse it? Heck no. This is what keeps me coming back to Costco. The guy was fairly harshly flamed for honering Costco's policy. Now believe me, I've seen some people abuse return policies. Years ago, The Gap had a very liberal policy on returns. I had a sister-in-law who would ware a garmet for a half year or better then return it for something new, it used to drive us nuts, but as long as this is Costco's policy, you cant fault the guy for it.

sog35
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I used Dap wall joint compound. Don't ask me why I used this, it was sitting on my shelf in the garage, I didn't really feel like driving down to the hardware store and spending money so I thought I would give it a try. It said on the label, OK on metal wood and ceramic so I thought I would give it a shot. It sealed it air tight, you cant really see it if you dont look too closely. If I were to really do it right, I would go down and get a clear or black colored Dap Calk-type sealant that withstands high heat, but I wanted to save a couple bucks by using what I had on hand.

Thanks for the info.

Soprano
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, my first smoke went ok. I had some temp issues for the first half. it was all over the place. It seems to be easier to maintain 250 or above vs. lower temps. I think my issue was I was using a digital thermometer to monitor the inside temps, and it was fluctuating a bunch, so I would get nervous and adjust. I should have just left it alone, as I began to chase the temps. A few times the temp went under 200, and I had to blow into the air vent to get it started back up. Then it would spike to 300. I was using a full chimney of Royal Oak, and I spread it out all over. Should I have left it in a pile instead? The last 4 hours it stayed at 250 and didn't budge...

Seachaser
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Last time I was in Academy they had the same deal, but only one was displayed.

Ross
08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Soprano: I'd take a serious look at that bottom vent. I would run a bead on heat resistant black silicone between the gap of the ceramic body and a the vent. Another owner that I chatted with on YouTube used a narrow strrip of black duct tape around the vent and says it now works perfectly. I've ran into a couple of other owners on You Tube that experienced similar issues. All say that after they seal that vent the cooker does low and slow much more constantly. You might do a YouTube search for Vision Kamado and check it out.

Soprano
08-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I took a look at my vent and didn't see any gaps. The gasket between the door and ceramic look intact. It might be worth adding some silicon around it anyway. Thanks!

bmmat
08-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I bought one, and I like it. it is the same size as a large kamado Joe. I bought there heat deflector. I use it about 3 to 4 times a week

sog35
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Well, my first smoke went ok. I had some temp issues for the first half. it was all over the place. It seems to be easier to maintain 250 or above vs. lower temps. I think my issue was I was using a digital thermometer to monitor the inside temps, and it was fluctuating a bunch, so I would get nervous and adjust. I should have just left it alone, as I began to chase the temps. A few times the temp went under 200, and I had to blow into the air vent to get it started back up. Then it would spike to 300. I was using a full chimney of Royal Oak, and I spread it out all over. Should I have left it in a pile instead? The last 4 hours it stayed at 250 and didn't budge...

you may have a leaky bottom vent (like me, and many others).

Do this test, get your grill to 250. Then close all the vents, top and bottom. If the temp drops and keeps dropping then you dont have a leak. If it keeps rising then you have a leak.

I used duct tape to seal the bottom vent, but probably will use a sealant soon since after a few high heat cooks the tape is melting away.

Soprano
09-03-2011, 05:41 AM
I bought one, and I like it. it is the same size as a large kamado Joe. I bought there heat deflector. I use it about 3 to 4 times a week

Does the Kamado Joe heat deflector fit well? I saw it on amazon for $50. Is this the one you have? Amazon.com: Kamado Joe KJIHP23 Heat Deflector: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21FQOyr5FML.@@AMEPARAM@@21FQOyr5FML (http://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Joe-KJIHP23-Heat-Deflector/dp/B003EV6MHW)

CamQ
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I just bought this grill from Costco in Canada, haven't tried it yet but plan on using it for smoking, but need a heat deflector. Vision says you can use their volcanic stone for this, but no one here carries it, has anyone tried any other brand of heat deflector/diffuser that works?

JS-TX
09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I just bought this grill from Costco in Canada, haven't tried it yet but plan on using it for smoking, but need a heat deflector. Vision says you can use their volcanic stone for this, but no one here carries it, has anyone tried any other brand of heat deflector/diffuser that works?

I don't have this grill but a terracotta saucer should work ok, about 14inch or so. Wrap in foil for easy cleanup.

samboni
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM

I am also in Canada ( St John's, NL ) and purchased this grill from Costco. I went to a local Big Green Egg dealer and purchased the BGE plate setter for the medium Egg. I originally tried the large plate setter but is wouldn't fit. I haven't tried the plate setter in an actual cooking situation, however, it appears to fit in the fire bowl just fine. I can attach a couple of photos if you would like to see it in the grill.

I have cooked on this grill several times and I am very pleased with the results. I am coming from a gas grill background and will freely admit that I have much to learn about "real BBQ"...........

CamQ
09-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I am also in Canada ( St John's, NL ) and purchased this grill from Costco. I went to a local Big Green Egg dealer and purchased the BGE plate setter for the medium Egg. I originally tried the large plate setter but is wouldn't fit. I haven't tried the plate setter in an actual cooking situation, however, it appears to fit in the fire bowl just fine. I can attach a couple of photos if you would like to see it in the grill.

I have cooked on this grill several times and I am very pleased with the results. I am coming from a gas grill background and will freely admit that I have much to learn about "real BBQ"...........

If you can attach a couple of photos that'll be great.

Thanks

samboni
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks

Will do when I get home tonight.

samboni
09-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks

Here are a few pictures. Notice the clean Kamado. Costco replaced my original as there was a problem with the cover not lining up with the base. I also included a picture of the bottom vent with some heat resistant sealant as per some advice I picked up in this thread.

Now that I look at the pictures myself.......i wonder if there will be enough room in the fire bowl to get enough lump in place for a longer cookout with the setter in place. Would it be OK to remove the setter and add additional lump as needed?

JS-TX
09-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I could be wrong, but it looks like that plate setter sits too low in the grill. I thought those type sit on top of the firebowl.

samboni
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I could be wrong, but it looks like that plate setter sits too low in the grill. I thought those type sit on top of the firebowl.

I think you are right. With the BGE is sits on the rim below the grill. Unfortunately the large BGE setter was to big for this Costco grill and it does appear that the medium I have will sit to low in the bowl. Oh well...back to BGE dealer I guess.

ThomEmery
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM
http://grilldome.com/community/index.php?act=idx

Grilldome parts would be a match
I do believe

CamQ
09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Here are a few pictures. Notice the clean Kamado. Costco replaced my original as there was a problem with the cover not lining up with the base. I also included a picture of the bottom vent with some heat resistant sealant as per some advice I picked up in this thread.

Now that I look at the pictures myself.......i wonder if there will be enough room in the fire bowl to get enough lump in place for a longer cookout with the setter in place. Would it be OK to remove the setter and add additional lump as needed?

Thanks for posting the pics, I going to take some measurements this week and head to my local BBQ store to see if any of the other kamado heat deflectors will fit our grill. I'll let you know if I find anything. For now I'm using a baking stone on the bottom cooking grate as a deflector, the only thing is you're left with only the 1 cooking tier, it would be nice to find something that sits on the ceramic ring so I can use both cooking tiers when I need them.

JS-TX
09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe this or something from this site will work: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/other-than-bge/bubba-keg-or-bsk.html

sawzall
09-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Do you Canadians have a sku for this? I would be really interested in one but my local Costco doesn't carry them. How much are they up here as well? Thanks.

SmokinAussie
09-14-2011, 10:32 PM
This thing has just turned up in Costco in Melbourne. They had about 12 stacked up, no price, no display unit, no-one even knew anything about it. Maybe they'd just got them in and I just got there at the wrong time. Showed the Wife.... LOOOK A KAMADO!!!!! and you should have seen the death stare I got! Only cause I've just got a new WSM and a Performer. She wanted to know what on earth this thing could do that my other stuff could not do. I said PIZZA!!!:becky:

She just shakes her head and walks away:tsk:

Cheers!

Bill

samboni
09-15-2011, 05:58 AM
http://grilldome.com/community/index.php?act=idx

Grilldome parts would be a match
I do believe

Thanks I will check it out.:-D

samboni
09-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Do you Canadians have a sku for this? I would be really interested in one but my local Costco doesn't carry them. How much are they up here as well? Thanks.

The Canadian Sku is 538124. It is $549.99

samboni
09-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Maybe this or something from this site will work: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/oth...eg-or-bsk.html

I think they may have a solution. I need to measure the grill to be sure. Thanks JS-TX

Ross
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
This is the rack I'm thinking of getting to use as a plate setter for my vision grill. It is from Grilldome. Search for Indirect cooking Rack, it's available from Amazon for $25.

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop/images/mediumimages/DoubleDecker.jpg

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop/images/proddesc/DDMetalPan.jpg (http://www.grilldome.com/eshop/images/proddesc/largeres/DDMetalPan.jpg)
Indirect cooking. Flip the rack in the downward position and place a aluminum drip pan or a ceramic/pizza stone to deflect the heat.

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop//images/proddesc/DDFaceDown.jpg
Sear Steaks. Flip the rack in the downward position and sear steaks right on top of the fire.

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop//images/proddesc/DDFaceUp.jpg
Cook on multiple levels. Place the rack on top of the main cooking level an cook foods on two level.

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop//images/proddesc/DDPizza.jpg
Cook Pizza. You can also cook pizza on the top level as well.

SmokinAussie
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
The Costco Kamado in Melbourne is $589 Aussie Bucks..

That's a farkin good deal.

These things are made in China of course, but looks like Costco is smart enough to ship the some to Melbourne direct, thus assisting the price. You might think this is a no-brainer, but in my experience with international freight and shipping......:tsk:

Now I just have to convince the wife. She likes pizza, and a pizza oven is a lot more money than this... so is a BGE.... like another Grand more!!!:shocked:

Cheeers!

Bill

sog35
10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I've owned this kamado for about 4 months. I will say that this kamado is really awesome. The only problem I had with this unit was it has a leaky bottom vent. I used some furnace cement and it is now perfect. With the auger temperture controller I'm able to smoke at 250 for over 18 hours without reloaded.

I've done brisket, ribs, pork butt, chicken, pizza and steaks. They have all come out much better than with my weber or water smoker.

TheBear
10-01-2011, 08:51 PM

:laugh::clap2:

Craft Service
10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Mid September here in British Columbia there were over 60 in our province when the price was still $549.99. Then they price dropped them to $399.99 and now there are only 12 left province wide.

btcg
10-05-2011, 07:32 AM
This thing has just turned up in Costco in Melbourne. They had about 12 stacked up, no price, no display unit, no-one even knew anything about it. Maybe they'd just got them in and I just got there at the wrong time. Showed the Wife.... LOOOK A KAMADO!!!!! and you should have seen the death stare I got! Only cause I've just got a new WSM and a Performer. She wanted to know what on earth this thing could do that my other stuff could not do. I said PIZZA!!!:becky:

She just shakes her head and walks away:tsk:

Cheers!

Bill

WOW,

I didn't know my wife had a sister.

J_Don
10-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Makes you wish there were more Redhots in the world doesn't it. Not only does she understand the difference she cooks on them too! Guerry is definitely a lucky man. :becky:

samboni
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by sog35:

I've owned this kamado for about 4 months. I will say that this kamado is really awesome. The only problem I had with this unit was it has a leaky bottom vent. I used some furnace cement and it is now perfect. With the auger temperture controller I'm able to smoke at 250 for over 18 hours without reloaded.

I've done brisket, ribs, pork butt, chicken, pizza and steaks. They have all come out much better than with my weber or water smoker

My experience is very similar. I have been using for several weeks. Excellent results. No problem with temp control as I also used high temp cement. My last attempt was a 5lb leg of Australian lamb. I am looking forward to my first longer cook out.

RangerJ
10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Saw this one at Academy today. $499.00 It's a dark brown.

I liked the "oversized" tires.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/jurenax4/IMG00275-20111005-1510.jpg

The top exhaust

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/jurenax4/IMG00276-20111005-1511.jpg

The "latch" or springs for the lid.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/jurenax4/IMG00277-20111005-1511.jpg

I don't know much about these but I did see another one at Gander Mountain for like $299 and I can say that this one was much heavier and seemed sturdier in design.

sog35
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Saw this one at Academy today. $499.00 It's a dark brown.

I liked the "oversized" tires.

The top exhaust

The "latch" or springs for the lid.

I don't know much about these but I did see another one at Gander Mountain for like $299 and I can say that this one was much heavier and seemed sturdier in design.

I've seen this Kamado at Academy Sports. The cart is really nice but I think the quality of the cermaic does not seem as good as the costco one. And I'm not sure if it can fit 2 levels of cooking (only came with a single level rack). It does have a sweet cart though. What is Academy's warranty or the manufacturer on this?

Ross
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
The stand looks a bit flimsy, but outside of that it looks like it would do the job just fine. I'm pretty sure this grill is marketed under the name Cypress, or Bayou Classic, depending upon where you buy it. I like the top chimney vent better than the one on the Vision Kamado, but I would be curious about the demensions, if it's an 18" cooking surface, it would be a good deal. If I were to purchase, I would definitely make myself a table for it and do away with the cart. I had planned to make a custom cart for my Vision Kamado, but the cart that if came with is so well put together, and convenient, that I really can't see why I'd want to get rid of it.

Ross
01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Spam? Before I bought the grill I did a search and found pretty much just two people who actually bought this grill. Bottom line is it would have been nice if I had more info about the grill before I bought it.

The main reason I'm posting here is to help others who are having doubts about the quality of this unit. It is solid. Plus if ANYTHING happens you have the peace of mind with the LIFETIME warranty with Costco.
-
I think someone just has a hard time realizing there's grills out there of comparable quality to Greed Egg at half the price! :heh:

Ross
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I got one of these grills about a month ago. For $500 its a steal. To get a large egg (side tables, dual grates, cover, nest) would be well over $1000. Plus this item is covered under the Costco standard warranty, so basically LIFETIME warranty for any reason.

So how does it cook? Excellent. Pizza cooks at a solid 650-700 degrees with a pizza stone. The steaks were the best I've ever made, chicken was awesome. I did have a problem keeping the temperature stable below 250 at first. But then I used some high heat silicone to get a better seal on the bottom vent. Yesterday I ran the Black Egg for 15 hours at 230 using a Auber. This morning I check, and it only used about 60% of the lump. Incredible.

These ceramic grills are so awesome. Cleanup is basically zero. Never have to worry about running out of fuel. Never have to worry about weather. With a $130 Auber this thing is basically as easy to use as an electric smoker but you get real smoke taste.

You know, I finally got around to fixing my bottom vent correctly yesterday, and I must tell you, what a difference it makes. I initially just had a bit of joint compound that I had in my garage around it. However, yesterday I took the vent completely off, and too my surprise, it was extremely loose, in fact, the bolts only seemed hand tightened. I placed a bead of furnace cement around the gasket to form a seal against the ceramic wall. I refastened the vent and tightened it with a wrench, tried not to put too mush torque on it as when the metal expands and contracts with the heat you don't want it to crack the ceramic. I then placed another bead around the outside of the vent, the crack between the vent and the ceramic. Wow, what a difference. I have about six large strips of spare rib meat, they've been going about two hours now at about 260.

One more thing, I got a Maverick instant read thermometer, and the pit temp on the maverick thermometer it reads about 20 degrees less than the Vision thermometer, which tells me I've been cooking on the hot side, which makes sense, as so far my only complaint has been regulating the heat as sometimes things get overdone. I think I have solved that problem now.

Buy the grill, by all means. It is a steel at $499.

AZ Smoker
03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
These are now at Lowes for $699

Corky
03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
This is the one I saw at CostCo on Saturday. The price is escaping me at present but I think it was around $599. Color me tempted. Of course it will nee a Marty handle as the front one is so boring! :mrgreen:

http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-classic/

http://www.visiongrills.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/kamado-classic.jpg

Specs:
Dual Grate: Yes (included) Two tiered flip grates for easy add charcoal 596 square inches
Assembled Depth (in.): 28.8 in
Assembled Height (in.): 47.0 in
Assembled Width (in.): 32.5 in (52.0 in. with side shelves extended)
Weight: 196 lbs (89 kgs)
Bottom Draft Vent: Stainless steel sliding door
Top Draft Vent: Calibrated windmill draft vent (available in stainless steel and black powder coat)
Assembly Required: 15-20 minutes
Color: Matte Charcoal Grey
Cooking space (sq. in.): 596
Cooking Grate Material: Stainless Steel
Grill/Smoker Fuel Type: Charcoal
Heat Thermometer: Vision Grills Logo Thermometer (included)
Ignition Type: No Ignition System
Manufacturer Warranty: 20-year Limited Warranty
Cover: Heavy vinyl cape style with Velcro closure cover (included)
Smoker Chip Tray: No
Warming Rack: 2-tiered grate (included)
Wheels: Yes 4 with 2 locking casters

AZ Smoker
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
The folks at my Costco say they have nothing like that in the system at all.

Anyone have a item# by chance?

33Posse
03-26-2012, 07:35 PM

I don't remember the item # but I believe it was on page 87 of the Costco Connection.

Nite Troller
04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Looks like Vision has changed the warranty statement on the grill. Lifetime on ceramic parts.

Subject to the following terms and conditions, Phase 2, LLC, d/b/a Vision Grills (“Vision Grills”) warrants to the original purchaser that the ceramic cooker manufactured or supplied by Vision Grills will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for the following periods from the original date of purchase: lifetime for all ceramic parts, five (5) years for all metal parts, 90-days for side shelves, 90-days for temperature gauge and 1-year for cover. This Limited Warranty is contingent upon purchaser registering the product at www.visiongrills.com/register within 30 days from the date of purchase along with a copy of the original dated sales receipt which can be attached in an electronic format (i.e. scan, photograph, etc.) to your registration at www.visiongrills.com/register. Failure to do so will invalidate the warranty. Any chips or cracks in the finish of the ceramic cooker present at the time of purchase must be noted on the original dated sales receipt. This Warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners

SmokerKing
04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Just saw one at Costco, I thikn it was $569.00.
Top vent was a not cast, it was thin stainless, whirlybird type.
Hinge looked strong.
Nest was square tube, chrome? but solid.
Gasket was glued on crooked.
Overall, it looked like decent quality.

Still Smokin
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I've seen this Kamado at Academy Sports. The cart is really nice but I think the quality of the cermaic does not seem as good as the costco one. And I'm not sure if it can fit 2 levels of cooking (only came with a single level rack). It does have a sweet cart though. What is Academy's warranty or the manufacturer on this?

I have the Academy Outdoor Gourmet Kamado, I bought it because I got a grate deal, but thge cart was a huge factor also. It allows me to move this on my patio effortlessly and it rolls on grass pretty good as well.

Performance wise, I think it funtions as well as a BGE. The only thing I do not like is the intake vent is a round daisy wheel type.

BTW, I am going to buy the Char Griller Akorn Kamado within a few weeks.

Ross
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
These are now at Lowes for $699

I am curious if the one @ Lowes is the Pro series with the ash pan and slot for electric fire starter. They have that at HD for 699 as well.

Cheesefood
04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Joined this forum based on this thread. I've been wanting a BGE for a long time but the price has me scared off. I can afford it, but I didn't want to invest THAT much into a grill.

At $569, the deal at Costco seemed right in the sweet spot. Comments on this site and others suggest that Vision has excellent customer service, an honorable warranty and that's all capped by the Costco warranty.

It's sitting in my garage at home right now, waiting until Friday when it can be assembled and test-driven. Any advice on how to season this grill?

BTW, since this is my first, here's my "About Me":

Grilling since I was 10 (37 now). Own a Weber Silver that I converted to a smoker using 4 paver bricks, own a Member's Mark gas grill (Sam's club special and I love it) and now the Vision. I briefly have owned Brinkman smokers twice and each time threw them away within a year.

Homebrewer, pork enthusiast, son-in-law of a black angus farmer. Repeat customer of a locally owned butcher shop that saws steaks fresh off the slab to order. Hardwood enthusiast and charcoal snob. I can grill on anything, and finally upgraded to a kamodo.

Johnny_Crunch
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Welcome Cheese, hope you like the cooker.

Cheesefood
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Put the grill together tonight and broke it in. Unfortunately all I had were some tiny chicken breasts and kingsford coal. I'm planning on a grander christening of the grill very soon.

Couple of things to note about the Vision:

1. The thermometer now goes to 700 and is a lot cooler looking than pictures I've seen of 2011 models.

2. The sticker on the side was really easy to remove.

3. It comes with the correct size wrench, and it's not some 2 dimensional POS IKEA wrench.

4. I did the whole thing myself - mounting included - in about 30 minutes. OK, my 3 year old turned the wrench A FEW times...

The reason I bring this up? Most of the reviews I've read give Vision GLOWING remarks for customer service, something rarely seen today. Some of the other reviews I've read mentioned these specific problems (thermometer, sticker) and Vision seems to have responded. From a business perspective, I get what they're doing and I like it.

It doesn't have that spiffy $500 green paint job, but I like it none the less.

AustinKnight
04-11-2012, 11:25 PM
So this Costco kamado is only 18" of cooking surface? It looks bigger when I saw it the other day:ear:

Cheesefood
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
So this Costco kamado is only 18" of cooking surface? It looks bigger when I saw it the other day:ear:

19" I believe. It's plenty big enough. My Weber is 23" but I rarely put meat closer than 2" to the edge, so I probably never need more than 19". The grill in the Kamado is 19" over heat with another couple inches of space.

tl;dr. It's about the same cooking area.

hesdeadjim
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I was thinking of picking up a 22.5" WSM at some point this year, but I saw this at a local Costco. Very tempting, I've just been smoking in a Weber Kettle with the Smokenator, but it would be nice to be have something that needs less tending to for long smokes. My other option I'm considering is waiting til the end of summer and getting a discounted BGE at the local Eggfest.

sandiegobbq
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Why did you return it?

Ross
04-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Hey, AZ: if you check with your local Costco ask if they have a Phase 2 kamado. Phase 2, LLC is the parent company that makes Vision Grills and I understand that Costco has it listed in their data base as Phase 2, not Vision. Hope that helps.

AustinKnight
04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I was thinking of picking up a 22.5" WSM at some point this year, but I saw this at a local Costco. Very tempting, I've just been smoking in a Weber Kettle with the Smokenator, but it would be nice to be have something that needs less tending to for long smokes. My other option I'm considering is waiting til the end of summer and getting a discounted BGE at the local Eggfest.

If you have the money I would say build a Uds it will take place of the wsm and buy this Kamado. :thumbup:

jon s
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I am a new member from Hawaii. I must admit this is a pretty cool forum, lots of good info. The Vision is my first Kamado grill. I used to use Weber charcoal kettle grills then went through five gas grills in the past decade.

The last grill I had was the CharBroil Infrared. It was the hottest gas grill I ever had but the infrared "trough" blistered and rusted through after one year. I like the fact that the heat was evenly distributed throughout compared to other gas grills I had.

Unfortunately, the trough was too expensive to replace. It was $30 from CharBroil but shipping to Hawaii was over $130. It just was not cost effective as I noticed that a lot of the cheap stainless steel in the CharBroil was showing a lot of rust. That's why I bit the bullet and bought this Vision grill from Costco. The going price for a large BGE in Hawaii is $1250, the XL is $1600, all due to shipping (I had to ship an amplifier from a Kansas repairshop. It weighed 50 lbs and cost me $300 to ship).

For those who may be interested... the oem for the Vision Grills seems to be this company, Sunrise Ceramic Kamado Company (http://www.kamadochina.com/18inch.htm). Looks like they are coming out with a new 20" design, but its shallow depth leaves me wondering at how good it will be.

http://www.kamadochina.com/pic/new%20design.jpg

jon s
04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Do ceramic cookers have to be broken in? I heard that you should not use it right away at high temps, that you should use it at lower temps initially to break-in (not break up) the grill...

LMAJ
04-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi Jon - a lot of folks suggest doing some low heat cooks to set the gasket... plenty of stories out there os someone getting their cooker up to 700 on the first go round and frying the gasket... of course there are plenty of stories of that happened years in too so...

Bacon_99
04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
In Canada, my local Canadian tire is selling a "professional" version of a Vision Kamado. Has a strange but perhaps useful bottom vent that is supposed to provide better temp control and easier access to clean out ash. At half the price of my LBGE, it would be interesting to try one... Currently on sale for $699..

Sorry for the small pics but couldn't copy the larger ones for some reason. Here's a ling to the website though. Let's you zoom in on the pics and stuff...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/CharcoalBBQ/PRDOVR~0853662P/Kamado+Professional+Charcoal+Grill.jsp?locale=en

jon s
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
This is the Visions Kamado Pro, similar to the Costco Visions Kamado Classic. The difference is the bottom vent, which has a ash tray for easier cleanup and dual rotating vents to control air intake.

JS-TX
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
This is the Visions Kamado Pro, similar to the Costco Visions Kamado Classic. The difference is the bottom vent, which has a ash tray for easier cleanup and dual rotating vents to control air intake.

I'd be worried about the ash tray providing a potential source for an air leak.

jon s
04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I was finally able to get my Costco Kamado assembled on Saturday, you really need two guys to put the ceramic assembly into the cart. The dome is slightly misaligned as the shock absorber is slightly offset from the lid catch (1/4 "). There is no way to adjust this unless you bend the rear hinges. Another note, if you push the dome lid too far back when opening beyond its maximum point, it feels like the whole unit can easily topple over on its back.

I filled a Weber chimney 3/4 up with Royal Oak lump charcoal. Found out using newspaper to light the chimney created a lot of ash, so I used Weber's fire lighter cubes to light the fire later. You only need one cube to light the chimney.

Fifteen minutes after pouring the lit charcoal into the grill, the temp reached 700 degrees, not much later it was pegged at 900 degrees. The grill is so hot, I needed to use a mitt and long tongs in order to reach the further end of the grill to turn over the food.

I cooked some rib-eyes and the meat had a nice crust on the outside, nice and juicy on the inside. Shutting down the vents took four-five hours to cool down the grill.

I tried to see if the Weber 18.5" grill grate would fit the Costco unit as a replacement in the long term. The Costco grate is a little over an inch larger in diameter. The Weber grill barely fits over the firebox tub. If you move it too much to one side, the other side can fall into the tub.

jon s
04-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I noticed that soot is starting to coat the inside of the dome... Do we have to clean this out occasionally? If so, how? (I've read somewhere that soot build-up can cause a off-taste in some foods)

JS-TX
04-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I noticed that soot is starting to coat the inside of the dome... Do we have to clean this out occasionally? If so, how? (I've read somewhere that soot build-up can cause a off-taste in some foods)

It could also be carbon buildup, it's normal. Just crumple up some aluminum foil and lightly knock it all down. A high heat cook will also clean it up.

ratflinger
04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Been cooking on my Vision from Costco for about a month now - I love it! Haven't sealed the bottom yet, but I can close the vents & the fire goes out. Using lump from Costco also - $14 for 35lbs. The stickers came right off mine with no effort & no mess left behind. As for a plate setter I took a porcelain tile & lad it across the firebox, this left plenty of room for smoke to move up. I just set the grills on top of that and use the top one for the meat. Put an Aurber on it today - we'll see how that goes.

expatpig
04-18-2012, 01:01 PM
In Canada, my local Canadian tire is selling a "professional" version of a Vision Kamado. Has a strange but perhaps useful bottom vent that is supposed to provide better temp control and easier access to clean out ash. At half the price of my LBGE, it would be interesting to try one... Currently on sale for $699..

Sorry for the small pics but couldn't copy the larger ones for some reason. Here's a ling to the website though. Let's you zoom in on the pics and stuff...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/CharcoalBBQ/PRDOVR~0853662P/Kamado+Professional+Charcoal+Grill.jsp?locale=en
Our local Canadian Tire got three in this week, none assembled as of yet. The owner of the store called me about them because I'm the only one in town that uses charcoal. I just have no use for a 230lb cooker.

Cheesefood
04-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Finally put some moo and oink on the grill. Steaks put on about 500 degrees and seared awesome and cooked so nice and juicy without excessive charcoal taste.

Put some ribs over direct fire and kept the temp at 250 for 5 hours. Threw on a piece of applewood and could really smell the sweetness of the wood. Ribs came out too perfect, without a heat deflector.

DerHusker
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Joined this forum based on this thread. I've been wanting a BGE for a long time but the price has me scared off. I can afford it, but I didn't want to invest THAT much into a grill.

BTW, since this is my first, here's my "About Me":

Grilling since I was 10 (37 now). Own a Weber Silver that I converted to a smoker using 4 paver bricks, own a Member's Mark gas grill (Sam's club special and I love it) and now the Vision. I briefly have owned Brinkman smokers twice and each time threw them away within a year.

Homebrewer, pork enthusiast, son-in-law of a black angus farmer. Repeat customer of a locally owned butcher shop that saws steaks fresh off the slab to order. Hardwood enthusiast and charcoal snob. I can grill on anything, and finally upgraded to a kamodo.
I too joined this forum because of this thread. I bought a Vision Kamado two weeks ago. During the 1 break-in burn and after a little experimenting I’ve been able hold a constant temperature at where I want. I’ve since done 2 separate beer-can chickens which were delicious. I’m pretty happy with it so far except that the large BGE accessories don’t fit the slightly wider (18” O.D.) one piece fire box (ring) and grill. (18.875” O.D. vs. BGE 18”) After some internet detective work and I’ve come up with a couple of options for accessories for this grill.

1st is this company: (http://www.gourmetpots.com/grills (http://www.gourmetpots.com/grills)) (Thanks & Credit to R2Egg2Q) which looks an awful lot like the Vision Kamado. (The difference being they have a two piece fire box (like the BGE) vs. the Vision having a one piece) Their accessories for their large kamado measure 18.5” diameter so they should work.

2nd is this company: (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/)) (Thanks & Credit to JS-TX) They have a “Spider” that’s specifically made for this grill. They said that their accessories for the Large BGE (I asked) will not work in this grill. (They also have allot of other items that are worth looking at)

Also since this is my first post on this forum, here's my "About Me":

I’m in my 50’s. I own a Weber kettle, a big a$$ Member's Mark gas grill (Sam's Club special) and now the Vision.

As my name indicates I’m a big Husker fan. My hobbies are fishing, grilling & cigars.

ratflinger
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I agree with the others that have tried slow cooking on the Visions kamodo - need to seal the bottom air port. Mine was wanting to stay around 270* today. Put some foil tape around the air intake & then the Aurber would hold at a lower temp. Be going to get some high-temp sealer tomorrow and permanently cure this issue. Otherwise an excellent unit.

jon s
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I applied hi-temp solicon gasket sealant around the vent. Now i am wondering if it would have been better to remove the vent, apply the sealant to the back of the vent and reattach it...

BigM
04-19-2012, 06:32 PM
The kamado joe heatdeflecter works perfect on my grill

tjv
04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Holy smokes, what a great thread. My Costco finally got this year's Vision model, so I had a chance to look see. If you are looking for accessories to sit atop the firebox, such as ring based devices or a platesetter, here are a couple things to consider.

First, check the ID and OD of your firebox for true round. The one I checked was as much as 3/4" out of round. This is important if you plan to use the top face of the firebox as a ledge to set a ring system or platesetter. It's hard to get a platesetter with 3/4" thick legs to set on a 1" wide top, when the top is 3/4" out of round.

Second, you need to consider the gap between the firebox and cooker's interior wall. Consider, if you bump an accessory, could it fall into the gap, tilt and create a problem. The cooker I looked at had a 20" diameter interior wall dimension and the OD on the firebox ranged from 17.75" to 18.5". The gap was over 1" in spots. The 20" ID on the cooker was true round.

Third, the grid diameter is 18 inches OD. The BGE grid dia. is 18.25" and the large BGE platesetter is built to 18.25 specs, not 18. Plus the hinge on the Vision grid may make it difficult to use with the BGE platesetter. Chance the platesetter leg aligns with the hinge section.

Fourth, the distance from the top of the firebox to the base's felt line ranged from 2.25" to 3". I thought at first, the 3/4" variance was because the bowl was not centered properly. But, after playing some, I'm thinking centering was not the issue causing the variation. I did not want to pull the firebox, so I can't say for sure why the variance exists.

Fifth, given the cooker's 20" interior diameter and a 18" cooking grid system, the unit offer great vertical headroom. I was truly impressed how far up into the dome, I could push the unit's grid system. But, on the other hand, I'm not sure why the Vision folks have less than 4" between their double grid system. Seems, a waste of vertical space. My hunch is butts or a thick brisket is a difficult fit between grids.

Sixth, the one piece firebox is similar to Primo's round one piece unit. It's been a while since I've seen the primo firebox, so can't say if they are interchangeable.

Seventh, I'm all for getting the most out of a set-up, but when the upper grid is connected to the lower grid, the rear legs on the upper grid seem to take up some prime grid space on the lower grid. The back legs might get in the way of laying ribs or thin brisket down on the lower grid. Then, add the handles on the lower grid and it just doesn't seem like much room to cook on that lower grid. Oh, and it sure looks familiar how the top grid's two outside legs set on the lower grid! Your welcome!

Eight, the cooking grids could be series 200, not series 300 stainless steel. 200 is nonmagnetic like 300, so most folks don't notice. 200 is less resistant to corrosion and cheaper to produce than 300. 200 is common in Asian fabrication, just like 300 is common here in the USA.

For those you may not know, I'm the fella behind the ceramic grill store, so just my first impression on the 2012 vision. It will fun to watch the reviews on these units after a year or two of use.

tom

DerHusker
04-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Holy smokes, what a great thread. My Costco finally got this year's Vision model, so I had a chance to look see. If you are looking for accessories to sit atop the firebox, such as ring based devices or a platesetter, here are a couple things to consider.

First, check the ID and OD of your firebox for true round. The one I checked was as much as 3/4" out of round. This is important if you plan to use the top face of the firebox as a ledge to set a ring system or platesetter. It's hard to get a platesetter with 3/4" thick legs to set on a 1" wide top, when the top is 3/4" out of round.

Second, you need to consider the gap between the firebox and cooker's interior wall. Consider, if you bump an accessory, could it fall into the gap, tilt and create a problem. The cooker I looked at had a 20" diameter interior wall dimension and the OD on the firebox ranged from 17.75" to 18.5". The gap was over 1" in spots. The 20" ID on the cooker was true round.

Third, the grid diameter is 18 inches OD. The BGE grid dia. is 18.25" and the large BGE platesetter is built to 18.25 specs, not 18. Plus the hinge on the Vision grid may make it difficult to use with the BGE platesetter. Chance the platesetter leg aligns with the hinge section.

Fourth, the distance from the top of the firebox to the base's felt line ranged from 2.25" to 3". I thought at first, the 3/4" variance was because the bowl was not centered properly. But, after playing some, I'm thinking centering was not the issue causing the variation. I did not want to pull the firebox, so I can't say for sure why the variance exists.

Fifth, given the cooker's 20" interior diameter and a 18" cooking grid system, the unit offer great vertical headroom. I was truly impressed how far up into the dome, I could push the unit's grid system. But, on the other hand, I'm not sure why the Vision folks have less than 4" between their double grid system. Seems, a waste of vertical space. My hunch is butts or a thick brisket is a difficult fit between grids.

Sixth, the one piece firebox is similar to Primo's round one piece unit. It's been a while since I've seen the primo firebox, so can't say if they are interchangeable.

Seventh, I'm all for getting the most out of a set-up, but when the upper grid is connected to the lower grid, the rear legs on the upper grid seem to take up some prime grid space on the lower grid. The back legs might get in the way of laying ribs or thin brisket down on the lower grid. Then, add the handles on the lower grid and it just doesn't seem like much room to cook on that lower grid. Oh, and it sure looks familiar how the top grid's two outside legs set on the lower grid! Your welcome!

Eight, the cooking grids could be series 200, not series 300 stainless steel. 200 is nonmagnetic like 300, so most folks don't notice. 200 is less resistant to corrosion and cheaper to produce than 300. 200 is common in Asian fabrication, just like 300 is common here in the USA.

For those you may not know, I'm the fella behind the ceramic grill store, so just my first impression on the 2012 vision. It will fun to watch the reviews on these units after a year or two of use.

tomTom, Very interesting. And yes I'm the same DerHusker that just a few days ago inquired via email about an Adjustable Rig for these Vision Kamado's. Based on your post I did some double checking and here are my findings:

1. Fire Box was 16.125 to 16.25" I.D. and 17.875 to 18.125" O.D.

2. Yes gap is well over 1" all the way around.

3. The grid (grill) on mine is 18'875" O.D. so the outer ring sits completly outside and around the fire box. Not sure why the one you measured was only 18".

4. The distance from the top of the firebox to the base's felt line ranged from 2.5" to 2.625".

5. Distance from the bottom grid (grill) to the top of the ceramic vent hole is 13". Agree that the 4" isn't allot of useful space. (But then I haven't even used the top grill yet)

6. No idea.

7. Yes I agree that the top grill's legs will severely limit the bottoms useful space. Since you said your Adjustable Rig wouldn't work with the Vision Kamado I was trying figure out how I could get one of your 13 x 17 oval stones to work on my existing grill system and don't see how I can.

8. No idea but since you are hopefully going to make an Adjustable Rig that will work with the Vision Kamado I may end up replacing them anyway. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps.

Cheesefood
04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
TJV - in your opinion is the grill priced right? Is there $800 worth of extra value in the BGE setup? What are its disadvantages compared to the Egg family? If you were to rate all kamados based on your own scale (excluding metrics gained by selling the grill) where does it fall among kamados?

Ross
04-20-2012, 10:35 PM

tom-

I'm coming up on about one year's use of my Vision Grill. I'm not going to pretend that its quality rivals kamados that are twice as expensive. I would agree that the firebox is thinner than BGE, Grates are 200 series and not 300 series, yeah, a little thinner than the top of the line stuff. As far as cooking on it, I can do anything on this grill that can be done the premium kamados. I've cooked pork shoulder for 13 hours at 230 and pizza and rib-eyes at 700. I am a little surprised Vision doesn't apply a bead of silicone around the bottom vent. I was at a local hardware store that sold BGE's and I notice even they have their vent sealed with silicone. This is a must-do if you are Vision owner, the sooner the better. Also, check the bolts that hold the vent on. I noticed on mine that they were quite lose out of the box. Buying from a Dealer, these things are already done for you. That's one reason you pay a bit more, they take care of you. Buying out of a box at Costco, you need to go through it well and make sure all nuts and bolts are tightened and in their right place. I tightened them up and added the silicone and it works well. And besides, with Costco's warranty, if it wears out in four years I can return it and they will give me a new one. Find me a Green Egg dealer that will do that.

Ross
04-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I applied hi-temp solicon gasket sealant around the vent. Now i am wondering if it would have been better to remove the vent, apply the sealant to the back of the vent and reattach it...

Hey, Jon, I would just check the bolts that hold the vent on to make sure they are tight enough. I took the vent off on mine, but when I did so I didn't realize there was a rubber gasket already in between the vent and the ceramic body. Had I known that i probably wouldn't have taken it off. And getting that rubber gasket back in perfect alignment, then applying the sealant, then getting it back on there without making a mess was a bit of a challenge. Make sure it's good and tight and you should be fine.

jon s
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
After sealing the bottom vent on my Vision grill, I was able to get 150 degree steady for about three hours using a half chimney of lump. Any more coal and the lowest I can get was around 200...

Made some beef jerky. Mistake #1, the meat was sliced way too thin, it came out like cardboard after three hours (the meat was already thinly sliced for something else and was in the freezer). The grill was able to maintan 150 degrees but the half chimney of coal only lasted three hours before it burned itself out.

Cheesefood
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I cooked a 4 pound sirloin tip roast on it for an hour at 350º then quickly got the heat up to 600 for a reverse sear. Same out a perfect Medium. No flareups or scorch marks on the meat, other than the nice sear marks.

OK, so my vent doesn't seem to leak. I'll throw a bead around it, but I don't think it'll make a huge different. Even then, a $.95 tube of silicone still has my savings at about $799 over an Egg. OK, maybe the grill is 200 series instead of 300 series. I don't know how big a difference that'll make, but I might go ahead and try to order another one for 5-10 years down the road when the original goes.

People say the Vision isn't as thick, but do we know that the Egg's thickness really benefits the cooking experience? My kamado seems plenty thick to me. There's a point of diminishing return, right? And all the thicker ceramic does is thermally insulate a little better, not really changing the overall cooking experience.

Fire is brand agnostic. The only thing that matters is that the meat doesn't catch on fire and that I can dial in low or high temps. Check and check. The overall quality looks fine to me, I can easily see this grill lasting me 10-20 years barring it breaking from user error. Vision probably won't last that long as a company, but Costco will so I'll maintain my warranty on it.

On that note, looking at BGE's business model they might not survive another 40 years. They don't have the capacity to mass produce and sell them, they're definitely not a recession proof industry and they're family owned so they could get sold at any time.

To me, it looks like BGE's premium price is for the intangibles, like the proprietary paint color and the bragging rights. A good grilling experience is the result of a good cook, good meat, and a clean-tasting fuel source.

Mark M
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I took a good look at this kamado at Costco yesterday and I was impressed. Seems like a great deal. I don't need one right now but I will keep my eye on them for possibly a future purchase.

Atlas
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Based upon the reviews here and the information provided, I will picking one of these up in the very near future. Actually, the girlfriend will be getting it for me. Can't really complain about that, can I?

I'm looking forward to my first smoking experiences.

To all those that participated in this thread and provided, I want to just say thanks. It was the reviews and discussion here that persuaded me to get one. Or rather, convince the GF that this is the unit I'd like. Something like that.

jon s
04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
For those who are curious... Here are some pictures of the Vision Place Setter for their Volcanic stone. Note that the place setter did not fit my cooker in some positions because the firebox was not true round. I had to rotate it until I found a fitting position. I did bend the place setter to fit the wider areas but then it was too wide for the narrower areas. You can see how the support arms are bent a bit outward to make it fit, it was a 90 degree bend earlier.

I also placed a shot of the grill dome indirect rack. As you can see, it barely fit the Vision firebox. The rack itself is only about 12.5 inches in diameter, so most 13 inch pizza stones would barely fit it. The Vision stone is over 14 inches and would not rest within the rack but rests on the upper ends of the legs. I had to return the grill dome rack because the left leg was lower than the other two, the rack itself was tilted to one side by about an inch. It looked like a refurbed unit, you can see the gray area where the leg was rewelded to the grate. The leg was also offset, not 90 degrees away from the grate.

The last picture is of the Weber 18" grill on the Vision firebox. It barely fits but it could be used as a cheaper (it's $17) substitute over the Vision grill (which is 19.5 inches). You just have to be careful that you don't tip it into the firebox if it moves too much on one side.

jon s
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I am not sure if many of you are aware, but the Costco grills come with a ceramic disc that rests on the bottom of the firebox. It's not much larger than the charcoal grate. Apparently, it is used to somewhat block the heat from the firebox to the outer shell. This is to help prevent any possible cracking of the bottom of the egg. I understand that early versions of the grill did not include this ceramic disc insert.

While a nice feature, it literally makes it impossible to clean the bottom of the egg with a ash tool since the disc is in the way. The only way to really clean it out is to remove the bottom charcoal grate from the firebox and to vacuum out the ash or to completely lift out the firebox unit itself.

Atlas
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the information and pictures, Jon. Despite some of the issues (which I consider minor), I'm really looking forward to getting this.

loafy28
04-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Jon - thanks for the pictures. I also got the grill dome rack and found it to be a challenge to fit into the grill. I plan to return it too.

I did have a question on the vision place setter - did it come with the stone or did you get it separately? From what I've seen online from home depot and other sites, the cooking stone is the only thing pictured.

would like to pick this up but know I need both for my needs.

thanks!

DerHusker
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Just in case anybody wants to see what is available from the Ceramic Grill Store (See link) here is their Vision Spider.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/vision-big-green-egg.html

I 'll be getting one of these with an Adjustable Rig that Tom is coming out with next week . (No pic yet)

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/images/cg_products/vision/2012VisionClassicSpider.jpg

jon s
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I got the place setter and stone direct from Vision. Home Depot does not sell the Vision and accessories in Hawaii and Alaska. I contacted Vision and they sent me both direct. The stone and rack was $40 and shipping was $50 IIRC. Shipping to Hawaii is expensive...

Atlas
04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Picked this bad boy up yesterday, and ran it for seasoning. Help temps rock steady all throughout, and didn't notice any leakage or seeping. On Jon's suggestion, I'll pick up some of the accessories for sure. The rack and stone will definitely come in handy.

I'm very, very pleased with the purchase. Note of cation: the best is heavy. My back hates me today, but the belly will love me tonight!

odie91
04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't know why stupid companies continue to write this silly policy, when you are protected by federal law if you choose not to follow it. Send in the warranty card if you want to get spammed with junk mail. Otherwise, just rest assured that you can toss the thing in the trash.

Looks like Vision has changed the warranty statement on the grill. Lifetime on ceramic parts.

Subject to the following terms and conditions, Phase 2, LLC, d/b/a Vision Grills (“Vision Grills”) warrants to the original purchaser that the ceramic cooker manufactured or supplied by Vision Grills will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for the following periods from the original date of purchase: lifetime for all ceramic parts, five (5) years for all metal parts, 90-days for side shelves, 90-days for temperature gauge and 1-year for cover. This Limited Warranty is contingent upon purchaser registering the product at www.visiongrills.com/register within 30 days from the date of purchase along with a copy of the original dated sales receipt which can be attached in an electronic format (i.e. scan, photograph, etc.) to your registration at www.visiongrills.com/register. Failure to do so will invalidate the warranty. Any chips or cracks in the finish of the ceramic cooker present at the time of purchase must be noted on the original dated sales receipt. This Warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners

jon s
04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
removed my Vision thermometer and stuck the sensor into boiling water... It looked pretty accurate... showed about 210-220 degrees... Surprising...

Greg1911
04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
This thing is pretty tempting as a first ceramic kamado. I've looked them over a few times and they're impressive.

eggdog
05-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Just picked one up from Costco yesterday..Couple observations, questions.

First off, on my stand the drill holes for the assembling the legs were really off centered. Got it to work, but not real good quality control.. I did check my air vent on the bottom and it does have a rubber seal, I double checked the bolts and gave them a small snug up but did not put in an additional bead of sealant at this time... Filled it up w/ lump coal to give it a quick initial heat up, but am finding the temp gage is pretty slow moving.. Got it to 500 with no problem, but find it is really slow to bring temp down with all top and bottom vents closed.. Could not sealing up the bottom allow this much air in to prevent it "going out" or is it just this slow to bring down the heat from it's efficiency?

Howard Pineapple
05-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Howdy.......this is my first time & post on this very cool forum......although I'm a seasoned vet of a couple of other unrelated forums.....

My bio........I've had a Pitts & Spitts offset firebox smoker for about 8 ot 9 years and have done wood smoking only......ribs, duck, goose, chicken, all kinds of pork, whole salmon, rock cornish game hens.......

My brother in law raves about his BGE and and told me that I have to get one.....but looking at the prices this has been on the......."back burner"......however, just a couple of days ago I saw the Kamado at Costco......it looked like high quality, the price was right, and knowing Costco, I thought that I better grab it as they don't alway keep continuity of items......so I grabbed one and threw it back of my pick up truck......

I just assembled it yesterday and then found this forum where I've learned a ton of good stuff already......so here's my thoughts......

The assembly of the unit was easy EXCEPT for the bottom legs not lining up with the bolt holes in the connecting bracket in two of the arms (I guess you'd call them arms).....tapping them with a dead blow hammer did nothing so I ended up grinding the V shaped side ends down on a bench grinder so that they would line up with the holes.....I could have drilled larger holes or filed one side of the holes but didn't want any play that a wider hole would have given me......that was a little bit of a PITA and if I didn't have a workshop it would have been very frustrating and possibly stripped the threads......thumbs down for lack of quality control on that end......

The rest of the assembly went well.......this seems to be a solid unit.....the stainless steel hinge and heavy duty springs accommadate the heavy lid very well......there is no play or wobble in the lid......the thermometer goes to 700 and there is a ceramic plate in addition to the charcoal plate in this 2012 model......the top vent fits snuggly.......the bottom vent I feel is not a great quality......it seems flimsy and the metal sliders are a thin gauge......I know it only opens & closes but I think they skimped here.....I would have like a more substantial lower vent........there is a gasket on the lower vent and it's very tight, so I don't think that I need to apply silicone sealant to it.......

So that's it.....haven't used it or any other Kamado/Egg unit so it's all new to me......the maiden voyage will be a brisket and spring leg of lamb on Memorial day Weekend.......may the force be with me.....

austinrhd
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what type of sealant and where you got it to seal up the bottom vent?

Johnny_Crunch
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Can't believe I started this thread and it is still going strong!

jon s
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Can anyone tell me what type of sealant and where you got it to seal up the bottom vent?

I used a hi-temp silicon sealant... can be found at hardwarestores...

austinrhd
05-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I used a hi-temp silicon sealant... can be found at hardwarestores...
I picked up some Fireplace & Stove Silicate Cement. Temp rated up to 1000 degree's. Highest temp silicone I could find was rated to 500 degrees. I would think I'd rather use silicone, but I'm wondering if a 500 degree rating is high enough. Any suggestions?

JS-TX
05-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I picked up some Fireplace & Stove Silicate Cement. Temp rated up to 1000 degree's. Highest temp silicone I could find was rated to 500 degrees. I would think I'd rather use silicone, but I'm wondering if a 500 degree rating is high enough. Any suggestions?

More than high enough, I used clear silicone on the keg's lower vent area. No problems.

sandy1975
05-13-2012, 08:18 PM
I just bought this Costco Vision and cooked pizza at 600 degrees. Its taking some time to cool down and I want to put the cover on but cannot because temp is still 400 degrees since I closed vents one hour ago. How long does this grill take to cool down? Also, I am getting some chemical odor from the cooking. Not sure if its the lump charcoal I am using or the new grill. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

jon s
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
It's the new grill... it will go away soon. It takes my grill four hours to cool down from 500 degrees.

eggdog
05-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Very slow to get up to temp. Fill up w/quality lump coal and takes about 1hr to get to 400 degrees. All vents wide open. How long should it take to get up to 500-600?

jon s
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
once the coals are hot, mine takes about 15 minutes to reach that temp... Do you have the firebox opening aligned to the door? That is critical...

eggdog
05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Have the firebox aligned properly, 100% cleaned out, no ash in holes in fire box, Hit 500 today, but that took about 1 hr, Going thru lump charcoal like crazy.. Took the thermometer out and put it in boiling water, reads 200+ with no problem..so the thermometer is reading correctly.. Also trying some ribs today.. got it up to 500, put on the ribs, closed top vent to 1/2, bottom to 1.. came back an hour later temp at 175, coals out! This thing can't be that difficult can it... Not too impressed thus far

JS-TX
05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Have the firebox aligned properly, 100% cleaned out, no ash in holes in fire box, Hit 500 today, but that took about 1 hr, Going thru lump charcoal like crazy.. Took the thermometer out and put it in boiling water, reads 200+ with no problem..so the thermometer is reading correctly.. Also trying some ribs today.. got it up to 500, put on the ribs, closed top vent to 1/2, bottom to 1.. came back an hour later temp at 175, coals out! This thing can't be that difficult can it... Not too impressed thus far

No, it shouldn't be this difficult. Something simple has to be wrong. Are you certain you are using good dry lump? Perhaps you are not lighting enough lump. Although it doesn't explain what you are going through, I try to catch the temperature on the way up because once my keg is hot it stays that way for hours.

eggdog
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I am going to try some different charcoal..I just bought a bag (20lb) of Cowboy lump coal an I got 3 uses out of it..As we speak I have the grill completely cleaned out, aligned fire box, all vents open, and filled with Cowboy coal, started with a chimney starter.. Going on 45 min and at 300 degrees, filled to just over the air holes with the coal...this should be 700 degrees with no problem... Is there much difference in quality of lump coal?

jon s
05-20-2012, 11:34 PM
are all your coals red hot? how are they spread over the grate?

eggdog
05-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Using Nature-Glo, Coals are red hot. Going on 1/2 hr with this and just hit 400 degrees...

Greg1911
05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Cowboy isn't well regarded.

I found it to spark a lot and there were too many tiny pieces (and rocks) in the bags I bought.

Royal Oak lump can be found at Wally World and it is a decent, consistent product.

jon s
05-29-2012, 12:47 AM
This is not good... A chunk of the "belt" rim on the bottom half of my Vision grill fell off..I did not bang the rim there or anything... It is near the hinge at the rear. The ceramic material that fell off was very chalky. It was about a one inch square that fell off. I filled the hole with silicone.

sandy1975
05-29-2012, 07:47 AM
can you take a picture and show us. I have this grill too and am getting concerned.

sandy1975
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Also, my gasket is getting burned and needs replaced.

jon s
05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I patched it with silicon already... I got an email from Vision, they said they will send me a patch kit... When I take off the silicon I will take a photo then...

jon s
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I got a nasty surprise on my Vision grill... I was waiting for some coals to light up all the way and there was a BIG bang... I swear the grill jumped about an inch. It sounded like something exploded in there. After the cookout when it cooled, I inspected the inner firebox and the outer casement and could not find anything. I suspect that the inner ceramic disc at the bottom of the grill shattered for some reason. Will have to clean it out and take a good look...

sandy1975
06-05-2012, 01:47 PM
what happened?

jon s
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I finally took the grill apart. I took the firebox out and inspected it, no problems... the ceramic insulator was fine as well. I could not find any damage to the outer casing... What the heck? I finally checked the metal plate that the coal rests on. Looked fine. I washed all the ash off the plate and there it was. The metal plate had shattered. It was cracked in 2/3 of the plate but not completing a full dismemberment. the cracks went from hole to hole. I did not think that a cast-iron metal fracturing from heat could be so loud...

sandy1975
06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
What are you going to do now Jon?

jon s
06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
just going to leave it... it still works... if it breaks compeltely, I will replace it.

Cheesefood
06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Ok, had this for a couple of weeks now and I've cooked on it a lot. I've yet to find one thing I don't like about it.

Burgers: cooked perfectly, no flare ups.
Sausage: no flare ups, no fires.
Fish: Didn't scorch, came out tender and moist.
Bone-in turkey breast: incredibly tender and juicy. Not too much charcoal flavor and no burns.
Pork shoulder: 11 hours at a steady 250º on a 105º day. Put it on the top shelf with a pan on the bottom shelf filled with apple juice. Only one coal addition.
Steaks: reverse-seared. Didn't get the heat up as quickly as I'd liked, but that was my fault (see below)
Sirloin tip roast: Perfectly cooked, juicy and tender with no flips.

I've never had as much good luck with a grill. The biggest component related to the grill is the no flare-ups. On my weber and my gas, sausages and burgers are guaranteed fires. Nothing of the sort on the Vision.

Now, I stated that I've had an issue getting the heat up (and others have as well). This isn't related to the grill as much as the Cowboy Coal, and that I didn't clean the grill out thoroughly enough. Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn of AmazingRibs.com states that kamados in general don't heat up quick enough. I can't blame a grill for bad fuel and cleaning. The Cowboy Coal is garbage - one bag was basically 10 tree-stump sized pieces that took forever to get burning thoroughly and a bunch of soot. I just don't get consistantly proper sized pieces of coal. Time to find new.

I've smoked on my Weber Silver and often found that the food had a bad coal taste, especially leftovers. None such misfortune with the Vision - even with standard Kingsford.

I love love love this grill. It's my baby. This grill, a Thermoworks thermometer and some good home-brew beer makes for an AWESOME weekend.

eggdog
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
What kind of high temps is everyone getting on their Vision? I am still having problems of getting above 400 on mine.. As I stated earlier, using quality coal, clean out the grill completely, after every use and still have trouble getting 400..One thing that I have noticed is in my bottom vent is positioned about 3/4-1" to the left, meaning that I have approx 1" of ceramic showing reducing my bottom vent opening... Find it hard to believe that this "small reduction" in air flow would hamper temp but who knows.. Could others tell me if their bottom vent is positioned properly or do they have it skewed to the left?

DerHusker
06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I've had mine up to 700 degrees. (maybe more but thats as high as the thermometer goes) I can get up to that temp pretty easily if I leave my vents wide open.

I just looked and when i open my bottom vent I have to look real hard to see my firebox at all. Make sure the opening on your firebox is in line with your bottom vent opening and see how that works out.

deathamphetamine
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM
What kind of high temps is everyone getting on their Vision? I am still having problems of getting above 400 on mine.. As I stated earlier, using quality coal, clean out the grill completely, after every use and still have trouble getting 400..One thing that I have noticed is in my bottom vent is positioned about 3/4-1" to the left, meaning that I have approx 1" of ceramic showing reducing my bottom vent opening... Find it hard to believe that this "small reduction" in air flow would hamper temp but who knows.. Could others tell me if their bottom vent is positioned properly or do they have it skewed to the left?

How much lit coal are you putting in?

eggdog
06-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Up to the air holes, coals are full on red hot..

eggdog
06-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Here is a pic of fire bowl, with both vents wide open, and lid closed I can only hit 400

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

jon s
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
remove your thermometer, stick the probe end in boiling water... See if it reads accurately (~200 since you are at higher altitudes).

eggdog
06-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Did that, 212-225 in boiling water, put the probe in the open flame on the stove and quickly went to 500+ so thermometer is working correctly.

sandy1975
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Looks like you have the fire bowl in wrong direction

jon s
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM

I rotated my firebox to align the openings together... If you are seeing the firebox from the vent, you are misaligned. Rotate it to align it.

eggdog
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Nope openings/firebox are positioned properly, getting perfect airflow

deathamphetamine
06-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Here is a pic of fire bowl, with both vents wide open, and lid closed I can only hit 400

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Your firebox is in the right position. Your amount of coal looks to be a little low, Add another 2" or more till you get an even layer across the whole firebox. Also it looks like you poured a chimney on the unlit coal. I do the same but leave your lid open for a bit to let it all ignite, then close lid, let it heat up, then set your vents. I've noticed you really want all your coal burning for even heat and an efficient fire. IMO. Hope you get er sorted.

deathamphetamine
06-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Here is the Warranty if anyone was wondering:

Subject to the following terms and conditions, Phase 2, LLC, d/b/a Vision Grills (“Vision Grills”) warrants to the original purchaser that the ceramic cooker manufactured or supplied by Vision Grills will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for the following periods from the original date of purchase: lifetime for all ceramic parts, five (5) years for all metal parts, 90-days for side shelves, 90-days for temperature gauge and 1-year for cover. This Limited Warranty is contingent upon purchaser registering the product at www.visiongrills.com/register within 30 days from the date of purchase along with a copy of the original dated sales receipt which can be attached in an electronic format (i.e. scan, photograph, etc.) to your registration at www.visiongrills.com/register. Failure to do so will invalidate the warranty. Any chips or cracks in the finish of the ceramic cooker present at the time of purchase must be noted on the original dated sales receipt. This Warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners.

sbramm
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
i know the standard fuel mantra for kamado type units is "lump and only lump".

anyone run kingsford, stubbs, royal oak or any other briquet with favorable results? ash build up or anything else an issue? if you could run briquettes with a favorable result, that could sway a few folks who may have a large stash of briquettes (me).

cheers,

scott

hootstwo
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I tried some all Natures Choice 100% natural briquettes in mine a couple of cooks ago and just didn't enjoy the result (or the experience) nearly as well as I do with RO lump. The amount of ash wasn't overwhelming but it certainly far more than with the lump.

It held temperature just fine, but I don't see myself straying from lump any time soon.

Bodemeister
06-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I have seen that kamado at my local store here in Santee, Ca. I still cant believe the price. But then I checked it out some more. If I got it right, the label basically explains that is actually a Costco product, or Costco has something to do with it. The wood shelves are a very lightweight Pine board. The stand is well built, as so the rest. I thought the double rack was a real pain to take apart and the reassemble. So when cooking, that can cause some real problems.Im sure this just the start, they will make it better. Price sure is good though. If its returnable, what the heck!! Right! Still love my original Imperial Kamado way more though, its Pure, simple, and proven!!!

Cheesefood
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
i know the standard fuel mantra for kamado type units is "lump and only lump".

anyone run kingsford, stubbs, royal oak or any other briquet with favorable results? ash build up or anything else an issue? if you could run briquettes with a favorable result, that could sway a few folks who may have a large stash of briquettes (me).

cheers,

scott

Yeah, me all the time. Burns really good, and the food tastes fine. If you want to be a purist, go with lump - I just happen to think a 20 pound bag of Kingsford burns hotter and is a heck of a lot cheaper. I like to get my coals almost grey before I close the lid. It can take a little while to get up to 700, but I've done it a few times. I usually am more in the 240-500 range when I grill which suits my tastes fine.

deathamphetamine
06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I have seen that kamado at my local store here in Santee, Ca. I still cant believe the price. But then I checked it out some more. If I got it right, the label basically explains that is actually a Costco product, or Costco has something to do with it. The wood shelves are a very lightweight Pine board. The stand is well built, as so the rest. I thought the double rack was a real pain to take apart and the reassemble. So when cooking, that can cause some real problems.Im sure this just the start, they will make it better. Price sure is good though. If its returnable, what the heck!! Right! Still love my original Imperial Kamado way more though, its Pure, simple, and proven!!!

Yes the grill is kind of a pain... might be the first mod:thumb: It is a an extremely well built unit. I have only looked at a BGE in person to compare it with though. I do like the cast exhaust vent on the BGE, the one on the vision is thin steal but works fine. I have the pro not the classic so my intake is way different. It does let a tiny bit of air in but I don`t think it will interfere too much with temps and the ash drawer is very convenient! I definitely recommend this cooker to anyone looking. I was pricing out a Primo, BGE and then this came out... Just in time, half the price and as far as I could tell from
the BGE, I`would have got this one even if the price was the same.:clap2:

Yellowhair42
06-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Now that I want to get one of these I can't find one anywhere.Costco doesn't even have a search hit for it.Anyone got ideas?

bbqrules
06-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Now that I want to get one of these I can't find one anywhere.Costco doesn't even have a search hit for it.Anyone got ideas?

I found this site because of this grill! Glad I did. :mrgreen:

My local Costco had it and when I finally decided to pull the trigger, they were sold out. The Costco website is lacking, to say the least. What you can do and this is what we did...you can use the Costco website to show all the stores in your vicinity using your zip code as a search.
http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/locator.aspx?cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Right_Nav1-_-Top_locations&topnav=&whse=BC&lang=en-US (mhtml:{212E66A5-9F89-4E58-8BA7-68645B1242BE}mid://00000122/!x-usc:http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/locator.aspx?cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Right_Nav1-_-Top_locations&topnav=&whse=BC&lang=en-US)

It will return the locations with their local phone number. It's a pain but just start calling and see if they have them in stock. Item # 538124

You can also use the email link for Costco and ask them to locate the closest store that has them in stock. I had better luck calling direct.

I cooked on mine for the first time last night. Did a small 2 pound pork loin that turned out great. Bback ribs, not so much. I have a lot to learn :icon_blush:

sudsandswine
06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone, first post here. Long time BBQ'er. I found this forum while researching the Vision grill at Costco and this thread was convincing enough for me to pull the trigger. I got home, set it up (which was pretty easy), and began to roll it to its permanent home on my patio when disappointment struck.

I had one hand on the lid and my other on the body as I was moving it. As I laid my hand on the lid, part of the finish literally crumbled to dust, with no more than a gentle touch. The shiny coating broke away, and some of the "ceramic" underneath kind of "powdered" away.

So needless to say, I am a bit concerned about how the rest of this finish and ceramics is going to hold up over the years. I know I can take it back to Costco and get a replacement or my money back no problem, aside from the hassle of lugging 200lbs of grill back up there. I am also going to contact the company tomorrow and see what my options are...it sounds like some of you have had great experiences with their customer service so I am not going to pass judgement yet. I am just disappointed.

Here are a few pics. The grill was extremely well packed so I don't think any of this has to do with the way it was shipped or transported, more a flaw job the manufacturing process maybe? Just a fluke I hope.

Also, does everyone else see very tiny, almost hairline looking lines running all over the finish on tueir grills? I tried to capture it in the pics. This may be normal part of the baking process or something, I have no idea. I didn't notice it on the floor model at Costco because of the indoor lighting, but could see it fairly easily outside in the sun. I went back to Costco for a closer inspection and saw the same lines on the floor model, so I am thinking it must be normal (or they're both from the same affected batch), but thought I would ask.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/evo4620/IMG_20120623_155203.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/evo4620/IMG_20120623_154741-1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/evo4620/IMG_20120623_155153-1.jpg

jon s
06-25-2012, 01:20 PM
the hairline cracks are normal... If you contact Vision, they will send you a patch kit to fix the bad area... That's what happened to me as well... so far, the rest of the grill seems to be fine. My bad area was on the rim on the lower half of the grill...

sudsandswine
06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
A patch huh? I don't know about that...brand spanking, out of the box 30 minute, new grill. Might just take it back to Costco. I mean $600 and all.

malibulvr
06-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Does the BGE suffer from similar cracks or is this something new with these Vision grills? I may just be inclined to save my money and by the BGE, what will this Vision grill look like in a few years? It always seems that no matter how nice a Chinese product looks, the actual quality is always/usually/mostly sub-par, lol

slackdogbbq
06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Johny Crunch, you are the people my parents warned me about!

jon s
06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Does the BGE suffer from similar cracks or is this something new with these Vision grills? I may just be inclined to save my money and by the BGE, what will this Vision grill look like in a few years? It always seems that no matter how nice a Chinese product looks, the actual quality is always/usually/mostly sub-par, lol

From what I understand, the BGE suffers the same issues... The problem is that the ceramic expands and contracts as it heats up and cools down. The paint does not expand and contract at the same rate, causing the spiderwebbing cracks... It is the same issue when clearcoats were used on cars back in the early 1970s. They had to make the clearcoats more flexible which made the paints softer.

malibulvr
06-28-2012, 11:33 PM
From what I understand, the BGE suffers the same issues... The problem is that the ceramic expands and contracts as it heats up and cools down. The paint does not expand and contract at the same rate, causing the spiderwebbing cracks... It is the same issue when clearcoats were used on cars back in the early 1970s. They had to make the clearcoats more flexible which made the paints softer.

Ok I guess this kind of makes sense but why would they be using a paint anyways? I would think that it would be some sort of glaze. This looks more like crazing.. http://www.ceramicindustry.com/articles/eight-steps-to-stop-crazing then cracking.

Drunk Monkey
06-29-2012, 10:17 AM
For my 1st fathers day gift my wife bought me a Vision Classic grill from Costco. I have been eying it off for months now. So far I love it. The only complaints I have are the cart assemble as others have mentioned. I still can't get 1 screw in which perturbs me a little. I was also missing 1 nut to connect the side table. The cover also had a split on the seam. I sent them an e-mail and they are sending me a new cover and the missing nut. So far I agree with others on the quality customer service.

As for the grill itself I love it. This is my first Kamado grill so I am still learning how to use it. I have yet to cook something on it that I didn't like. It is still early but at this point I would absolutely recommend this grill. For $570 it is a great value.

I found this form while researching the Vision grill, great find. A little about me, I am 33 and a big fan of grilling. I have a Weber 22.5 gold and a masterbuilt 30" electric smoker. I fear neither one of those are going to be used again for a while.

Libertarian
06-30-2012, 07:22 AM
the hairline cracks are normal... If you contact Vision, they will send you a patch kit to fix the bad area... That's what happened to me as well... so far, the rest of the grill seems to be fine. My bad area was on the rim on the lower half of the grill...

I've had my Kamado Joe three years and it hasn't started crazing yet. As always, you get what you pay for. And if you plan to keep something over the long haul I have no idea why you would choose to save a few hundred bucks versus getting a BGE or Kamado Joe. When I need a part, have an issue, etc. I call KJ HQ and get immediate service, often for free. They simply stand behind their product. Wouldn't even consider buying something like this from Costco but that's just me.

Cheesefood
07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
The finish on mine is very different - it's not as shiny, more of a flat matte. I cook on it several times a week and have had absolutely no problems. Last night I did burgers and with some leftover Cowboy and a little Kingsford I was up to 500 in no time. I didn't want 700, so I quickly dropped the heat to 400 from there. Once again, PERFECTLY cooked. Not too dry, and the leftovers didn't taste like a brick of coal.

I bought the volcanic stone from HD on the advice of Vision, who answered my email quickly and politely. I had no problem putting it together, by myself, or any problems with the grill. 3 months now and loving it - cooking probably twice per week often for several hours at a time. Even if this thing doesn't last forever, two of them don't set me back much farther than one egg.

Johnas
07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Wouldn't even consider buying something like this from Costco but that's just me.

Costco will take the Vision back and give you a full refund for any reason as long as you own it. Why wouldn't you buy it from Costco?

JD McGee
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I looked at these here locally...looks like a quality product...I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I were in the market for a ceramic cooker...:becky:

deathamphetamine
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I've had my Kamado Joe three years and it hasn't started crazing yet. As always, you get what you pay for. And if you plan to keep something over the long haul I have no idea why you would choose to save a few hundred bucks versus getting a BGE or Kamado Joe. When I need a part, have an issue, etc. I call KJ HQ and get immediate service, often for free. They simply stand behind their product. Wouldn't even consider buying something like this from Costco but that's just me.

thanks so much for that input, I wonder if KJ Hq will replace vision parts???

Ross
07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
The black "belt" that JonS had an issue with, which Vision sent a patch, is more of an aesthetic, cosmetic bevel that rings around the lip of the kamado. It is not part of the actual ceramic body. In regards to getting what you pay for, most of the time, you are correct. However, in this case, I can assure everyone that Vision is a top-notch company that goes out of its way to provide top notch customer service. I serve as a moderator for the Vision Forum that I started on a new Kamado Forum on a different website (I will not elaborate, as my objective certainly is not to promote one forum over another.) I can say that on that forum, Vision owners number in the hundreds. Comments are overwhelmingly positive for the Vision Grill. Yes there are issues of crazing (2 that I can think of, search this term on the Eggheaders Forum and you will see that it occurs with their product as well. The copy posted earlier on this thread featuring the Vision Warranty was from 2010-2011. Vision has rewritten their warranty to includes a lifetime warranty on all ceramics. I can certainly attest that this company does stand behind what they sell, they are taking a huge bite out of the premium Kamado market, including BGE, KJ, GD, etc. Hey, every Forum you go on are going to have some customers who voice their displeasure. I have read Kamado Joe owners who complain about food coming out much drier than other Kamados. One guy claims to cook often on a BGE and a KJ, and the KJ never cooks to the level of the BGE. No, I don't personally buy that, but that's one guy's story. Right now, Vision is the best deal in town, if are lucky enough to be close to a Costco that still has one in stock, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Ross
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
So, the Mexican BGE made from outsourced ceramic and steel from around the world is so much better? I have a small BGE that's going on ten years old and a large Vision that is a bit over a year. Yeah, I would agree that the BGE has a kick-ass back hinge, strong as can be, and I also like the design of the BGE firebox much better than the Vision. But would I fork over $500 more for a large BGE, just for a sturdier back hinge? I don't think so. And if for some reason, ten years down the road, the Vision hinge gives out on me, I take it back to Costco and get a full refund.... It's a no brainer.

Socks
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Also agree on it being a no brainer. Dealing with Costco on a lifetime warranty is enough in itself. If it cracks on me in year 2033, they'll give me a full refund.

I have one, I couldn't get a lot of the screws in on the top, but on the bottom I got all of them in. I tied some string a couple times tightly between two of the posts that needed it, and the weight of the unit itself is pressing down and keeping the pressure on itself anyway. It's fine with me. One day maybe I'll get help drilling better holes.

Other than that it's a really nice piece of equipment to own, and opens up a lot of options in cooking for me.

Ross
07-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Also agree on it being a no brainer. Dealing with Costco on a lifetime warranty is enough in itself. If it cracks on me in year 2033, they'll give me a full refund.

I have one, I couldn't get a lot of the screws in on the top, but on the bottom I got all of them in. I tied some string a couple times tightly between two of the posts that needed it, and the weight of the unit itself is pressing down and keeping the pressure on itself anyway. It's fine with me. One day maybe I'll get help drilling better holes.

Other than that it's a really nice piece of equipment to own, and opens up a lot of options in cooking for me.

Are you talking about your stand, or bolts on the actual kamado? You might consider building yourself a table. I've been looking it over. I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy, but looking at the table plans on Nakedwhiz.com's website, it looks pretty easy, and pretty inexpensive. It would be nice to have space for accessories, food, etc., sometimes the two little side tables don't cut it.
http://img.tapatalk.com/47929859-30a3-af9d.jpg

flomofo
07-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Just bought one for cooking on the fourth.

Went together quickly, no issued with any holes or anything. We actually built the stand quickly as we pulled the stuff out of the car so we could put the Kamado on it and before we headed in for dinner that was waiting for us.

The Kamado did move in the stand as the stand was a bit wider than the Kamado, but not an issued once the firebox and other heavy items were installed.

Good experience so far with it, and first time I tasted smoked food I actually liked. And it added a lot of flavor even though the cooking was quick.

Holding onto this guy until they make a Komodo Kamado thats made in the U.S.

Cheesefood
07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
I have read Kamado Joe owners who complain about food coming out much drier than other Kamados. One guy claims to cook often on a BGE and a KJ, and the KJ never cooks to the level of the BGE.

Blaming a grill for over-cooking food is like blaming the blender for the drinks being too strong. Come on people, its a ceramic grill. Just a vessel that contains dry heat. The quality of the food is based on the quality of the food and the quality of the chef. The grill makes no diffence if it's BGE or KJ or Vision. Saying anything different is like saying the quality of the beer is dependent on the shape of the keg.

I found a comparable BGE at Ace for $1,000+. I spend $569. I know some of you are rationalizing and justifying your purchase but as an educated man I just don't see your point. I'll take the Pepsi challenge on grills any day and I bet I can't tell the difference between meat cooked on both grills.

Ross
07-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Blaming a grill for over-cooking food is like blaming the blender for the drinks being too strong. Come on people, its a ceramic grill. Just a vessel that contains dry heat. The quality of the food is based on the quality of the food and the quality of the chef. The grill makes no diffence if it's BGE or KJ or Vision. Saying anything different is like saying the quality of the beer is dependent on the shape of the keg.

I found a comparable BGE at Ace for $1,000+. I spend $569. I know some of you are rationalizing and justifying your purchase but as an educated man I just don't see your point. I'll take the Pepsi challenge on grills any day and I bet I can't tell the difference between meat cooked on both grills.

I couldn't agree with you more. Like I said, I certainly didn't buy what the guy was saying about the KJ. I was just making a point that people are going to side with their particular model of grill, even when their logic is a bit skewed. This guy happened to be trying to rationalize why you would spend $1100 on a LBGE/nest/platesetter combo package when Ace hardware was selling the same KJ package for $699.00

JeffT
07-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Trying out the Costco Kamado tonight with some simple beer can chicken. 68437

JeffT
07-27-2012, 08:19 PM
2 hrs at 300 degrees later...

cloudcover
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
hi there -

i just bought this kamado grill and have no real experience with charcoal grilling -- all past experience involved a gas grill. i'm excited to use it but also feel like i'll need to acquire quite a bit of new info. in that regard, i'd appreciate help with a few questions:

1. is there a good online source for getting up to speed on how to use a kamado grill properly/successfully? i'd prefer a consolidated writeup, rather than having to sift through individual posts.

2. while i'm reading and learning how to best use it, i was hoping to get help with a few basic recipes that might showcase the difference between this grill and the gas grill that we had before. i thought i'd start with chicken. i've seen a couple of recipes for spatchcocked chicken, but i was wondering how to do it on this particular grill. for example, how much charcoal should i use, does it matter how i arrange it, do i need to use a heat deflector, do i use the bottom grate or the upper grate, etc, etc.

3. i'm interested in getting a temperature controller for the grill. i've seen a couple of people mention the "auber" controller but i've also seen reference to the bbq guru elsewhere. any suggestions? also, do i need an adapter or is there some other grill that's more common and i just buy that version and it works with this grill?

thanks!
cc

Bacon_99
08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

This site has a ton of info on how to use a ceramic kamado Q as well as charcoal reviews and recipes. Check it out!

cloudcover
08-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Hello -

I had my first trial (no food, just a "get to know the grill and break it in") and am guessing that I need to apply sealant around the bottom vent. Here's what I did and what happened:

I filled the bowl about 1" above the holes in the side of the firebowl and lit the charcoal using an electric starter for about 8 minutes (with the bottom vent wide open). After removing the starter, I closed the top and let it heat up with the top vent fully opened (but still on). When the thermometer indicated 250 several minutes later, I closed the bottom vent down so that the number "2" was showing and also closed the top vent so that the indicator lined up with the number "1". But the temperature continued to rise fairly quickly, so when it reached 350 I closed the bottom vent down to where only the number "1" was showing -- at which point it seemed that the opening of the bottom vent was pretty much obstructed because there was pretty much just ceramic showing behind the open part. Even so, the temperature continued to rise up to about 375. After a while (maybe 30-45 minutes), I shut the bottom and top vents completely. About 3 hours later, the temperature was down to about 150 degrees.

I have the sealant but want to make sure I apply it at the right place. The top, bottom, and right sides are pretty obvious (I think) -- I just apply it between the edge of the vent and the ceramic. My question is about the left side of the vent. Do I apply it at the very left edge or at the spot where the sliding panel ends (so that the sliding panel touches the sealant when it's fully closed)? In the attached photo, would it be spot "A" or spot "B"?

Also, is it correct for there to be ceramic visible behind the left side of the bottom vent slider (see spot "C" in the photo)? That seems odd because when the vent's screen is slid all of the way to the left, if you put the sliding panel so that the number "1" is showing on the screen, the "opening" behind the sliding panel is just the ceramic.

And finally, based on the description of the "test run" above, does that all seem consistent with a need to add sealant or is it unusual in any other way?

Thanks again!

JS-TX
08-04-2012, 09:22 AM
cloudcover, I would just apply the sealant around the very outside edge, where you have A. I'm not sure about the ceramic C. I'm sure it's not going to harm your cooker, however if you ever add a temp controller, you may have an issue with the adapter sitting too far to the left. Also with these type of cookers you have to catch the temp on the way up, about 50* before your target temp.

cloudcover
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
cloudcover, I would just apply the sealant around the very outside edge, where you have A. I'm not sure about the ceramic C. I'm sure it's not going to harm your cooker, however if you ever add a temp controller, you may have an issue with the adapter sitting too far to the left. Also with these type of cookers you have to catch the temp on the way up, about 50* before your target temp.

Thanks! Anyone else care to share whether their cooker has the same ceramic visible behind the left side of the bottom vent (and whether this is an issue in terms of usage or ability to add a temp controller)?

Ross
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Hey, cc, responded to your inquiry on the other site, thought I'd chime in here as well. I agree with the sealant only being on outside edge A. You make a valid point about the extra ceramic on the left of the vent making the vent numbers on your screen not match up. Does your Costco where you bought it from have a display model? Is the display model the the same? Or does it look like they were just way off center when they built your particular grill?

That's about all I needed to add that I haven't already posted in previous message.
--Ross

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk